Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Dear Carrier -

I hope you're saving your dollars from moving all those jobs out of country because you're gonna have to pay up to keep your name on The Dome.

The writing is on the wall... your name is coming off the building... tick, tick, tick...
0022600642374_a1c1_0600.png
The Condome!!!

Teflon Coated Fiberglass (PTFE)
6897587.jpg

PTFE is used world wide as the preferred material for large-scale permanent tensile structures or structures requiring long life and with specific construction code compliance requirements. PTFE has excellent weather, temperature and chemical resistance in addition to its durability and strength. This tensile fabric roof material has a life span of over 25 years and is manufactured in accordance to standards such as ASTM E-108 and E-84. PTFE varies in translucency from 7% to 15% and reflects between 68%-75% of incident sunlight. The quality of light transmitted is color balanced, diffused and free of shadows and glare.

Before installation, PTFE has an irregular off white or slightly brown color, which is caused during the manufacturing and fabrication process. Once exposed to direct sunlight, the external surface of the membrane bleaches to a milky white within a matter of days.

PTFE is the obvious option if long life and low maintenance are the most important factors in selecting a fabric. This material requires heat-sealing at the seams to join fabric pattern sections and has a life span of over 30 years.

Other non combustible fabrics include silicone coated fiberglass and hybrid PTFE. These materials are more environmentally friendly, more pliable and available in colors and with higher translucency than standard PTFE.
and maybe this is the one chosen:
Woven PTFE
917860.jpg

Woven PTFE is a 100 percent fluoropolymer fabric made with high-strength PTFE. It offers durability, strength, and flexibility. It transmits up to 40% of light. It combines good light and water resistance with the ability to withstand repeated flexing and folding, an advantage over coated fiberglass fabrics. The material is pliable enough for retractable and deployable structures.
Manufacturers include Tenara by Sefar.

Seems like a solid, fiscally responsible decision that addresses the most immediate needs and offers solutions for the future.

I think they're getting a lot for $118M.

As for the outside appearance...eh...big deal. But I also first thought of a roller coaster when I saw the rendition. Maybe the Orange Express can be added and it can circle the dome after every TD.

Dear Carrier -

I hope you're saving your dollars from moving all those jobs out of country because you're gonna have to pay up to keep your name on The Dome.

The writing is on the wall... your name is coming off the building... tick, tick, tick...
We be calling it The Stadium until such time.

Seems like a solid, fiscally responsible decision that addresses the most immediate needs and offers solutions for the future.

I think they're getting a lot for $118M.

As for the outside appearance...eh...big deal. But I also first thought of a roller coaster when I saw the rendition. Maybe the Orange Express can be added and it can circle the dome after every TD.
The Stratosphere in Vegas

and maybe this is the one chosen:
Woven PTFE
917860.jpg

Woven PTFE is a 100 percent fluoropolymer fabric made with high-strength PTFE. It offers durability, strength, and flexibility. It transmits up to 40% of light. It combines good light and water resistance with the ability to withstand repeated flexing and folding, an advantage over coated fiberglass fabrics. The material is pliable enough for retractable and deployable structures.
Manufacturers include Tenara by Sefar.
I think you're probably close ... the "rendering" is not clear but it looks like a soft roof. I'd prefer EFTE but maybe this is a good option. The question is: what's the life-span?

My first thought was a new place to "tray" up and down the roof slopes during a snow storm. A new student experience. Sledding on the roof of the dome!!

I think you're probably close ... the "rendering" is not clear but it looks like a soft roof. I'd prefer EFTE but maybe this is a good option. The question is: what's the life-span?

40 years

You mean just the translucent part right? Sala was clear that the opaque part was hard surface... more like what you would normally call a "roof".

I’m not big on the AC “need”. But I am excited about the possibility of open doors and windows for fresh natural airflow on those early season games. Could give us an outdoor stadium feel, but under a roof.
And that happens in phase 1. I like the AC option...that does not mean it needs to be really cool ...but at least comfortable and less humidity that the brutal heat/humidity Sept. games we have had...even when it is not crazy hot outside.

You mean just the translucent part right? Sala was clear that the opaque part was hard surface... more like what you would normally call a "roof".
Yes the light transmission. PFTE is (according to the SU announcement) 40%, whereas EFTE is 80%+ (depending on where you look). I thought EFTE was (hard) plastic and PFTE a fabric, but I've also seen EFTE called a "membrane" too. So who knows. I'm actually pretty happy with the roof, since this interior rendering looks like a pretty cool combination of translucent materials:

EFTE Link:
Why ETFE Membrane Roofs Are the Future

New Roof (PFTE) Rendering [Add: the Scoreboard will be on Tracks for BB! .. wow):

55b43892-6b81-431b-8cb7-9ee89a8ce91a.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the light transmission. The PFTE is (according to the SU announcement) is 40%, whereas EFTE is 80%+. But I've seen EFTE called a "membrane" as well as a plastic material. So who knows. I'm actually pretty happy with the roof, since this interior rendering looks pretty cool:

EFTE Link:
Why ETFE Membrane Roofs Are the Future

New Roof (PFTE) Rendering:

55b43892-6b81-431b-8cb7-9ee89a8ce91a.jpg
Yeah...my first thought was how the new roof will impact basketball. Specifically, whether sunlight seeping in may have some impact on the Court.

I have been to US Bank Stadium (Skol Vikings!) for an afternoon game. Certainly the shadows and sunlight have an impact to some extent but football is one thing and basketball another. Very interested to see how it looks...

Go Orange!!!

SUOrange44

Yeah...my first thought was how the new roof will impact basketball. Specifically, whether sunlight seeping in may have some impact on the Court.

I have been to US Bank Stadium (Skol Vikings!) for an afternoon game. Certainly the shadows and sunlight have an impact to some extent but football is one thing and basketball another. Very interested to see how it looks...

Go Orange!!!

SUOrange44
It looks good to me, and if it lasts 40 years, done deal. I wonder how high that scoreboard is ... has to be 100 feet to avoid punts I would think. And it's going to be on TRACKS for BB. That will be amazing.

Last edited:
From Brent Axe:

"Syracuse officials dodged my question about whether the building will still be considered a Dome and if Carrier will still have naming rights going forward. There will be lawyers."

I’m not big on the AC “need”. But I am excited about the possibility of open doors and windows for fresh natural airflow on those early season games. Could give us an outdoor stadium feel, but under a roof.
I'm hoping they can utilize the existing fans to blow air in/out to help with the greenhouse affect, until the AC is installed.

Does Disabilities Act (ADA)-related accessibility and mobility elements mean elevators and escalators.
The letter said they're changing one entrance, re-building one elevator and installing 5 electric (ADA) doors, I think. However, it looks like they scaled down the interior ADA work in this phase.

As part of the transformation, the University will invest more than $6 million in comprehensive Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)-related accessibility upgrades. Among the improvements being made are a new accessible entrance, updating the current elevator to be ADA-compliant, five ADA electric door operators, the installation of closed captioning software and the addition of accessible seating, as well as other accessibility updates.

Syracuse University Announces $118 Million Investment to Create a New Stadium Experience

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom