Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Is there any way that this doesn't end up in court? Even if Carrier paid for the AC system to keep the name, it seems like we'd be making the same mistake again and 20 years from now we'd be looking back wonder what we were thinking making such a bad deal again. I have no idea what cost of an AC system is but I'd imagine that it's less than 40 year naming rights.
No the cost of Naming Rights is going to be bigger than the price of a new AC system. Idk exactly how the University will do it but I have full confidence they will find a way to end the absurd deal Carrier got decades before anyone understood the value of naming rights. It's a new era folks and Carrier or another company is going to have to pay in full if they want the brand exposure that comes with the The Dome.

The free ride is over.

I think the question is what is they university asking from Carrier, or United Technologies, to keep their name on the building, not necessarily what is the worth of naming rights.

I think there is contract issues here since carrier is still on the building and university is getting nothing for it. If the university had a strong legal position, you would think it would have gotten out of the contract long ago.

Why just AC. United Technologies owns a lot of other companies including Otis..the folks that manufacture elevators and escalators. There are a lot of mechanicals that they can offer besides money.
Not to mention throwing in ongoing service and a reserve for improvements/upgrades over time, like every 10-15 years...

Unanswered: Does this mean the current bubble gets deflated in may 2020 and they are planning to put up the new hard top in 4 months?

Based on the Matt Park interview, I think that is the case. They were adamant that none of the 5 sports would miss any time. So I think that come May 2020, they take the soft cover off and work their asses off to get it up and running by football (i suspect 2 road games and a bye to start the season)...

so what is being done between now and 2020 that will take 2 yrs but not actually be doing the roof? Two years to built outside the dome seems a long time.

If i were them i would give up march./april Lax and graduation and give themselves 2 more months to get this\ done in time for fball.

Su could play Lax at Cornell and still get decent crowds and homefield advantage.

Seems like an extremely tight window and risky.
Outer support structure will be built before. (On top of the existing roof, I presume). My guess would be the 4 months is for the clear section.

Would like to hear the engineers chime in and explain how the current dome infrastructure can support a hard shell. Months and months of talk about trusses and spans. Explain this please.

so what is being done between now and 2020 that will take 2 yrs but not actually be doing the roof? Two years to built outside the dome seems a long time.

If i were them i would give up march./april Lax and graduation and give themselves 2 more months to get this\ done in time for fball.

Su could play Lax at Cornell and still get decent crowds and homefield advantage.
Would not surprise me to hear commencement being as important as anything else. Obviously not monitarily but you would be sacrificing an entire cohort of graduates from undergrad, to MSc/MBA, to PHD and Esq. students.

I would understand the decision either way, but graduating in the dome is pretty cool (particularly after you spend 200K)

Would like to hear the engineers chime in and explain how the current dome infrastructure can support a hard shell. Months and months of talk about trusses and spans. Explain this please.
It's the suspension system. The weight does not have to be supported by trusses spanning the building like a traditional roof.

My first impression (I haven't had time to watch any of the videos, just took a quick look at the drawings and the overview provided).

It would have been nice to have a full renovation announced, with expanded concourses, concourses at the top of the third deck, a big, a new fixed roof made of ETFE and hydraulic controlled movable stands. But we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

I was afraid one of two things would happen:

1) a decision to replace the roof with another air supported roof or
2) a decision to replace the air supported roof with a fixed fabric roof held up by horrific spikes, like the unspeakably awful thing that was done to BC Place in Vancouver.

This is a compromise I can live with. I am happy the air support will finally go away; that opens up a lot of other possible improvements down the road. It is nice the low standing problems with the lights, scoreboard and sound system will all be addressed by phase one.

I am happy there will be some provisions made to let natural light into the building. The design isn't dazzling but it looks nice and the mechanism to support the fabric roof is a lot more attractive than what was used in British Columbia.

It sounds like they are still considering expanding the concourses, which IMHO, next to the roof is the area that needs to be addressed the most.

I am glad they are not committing to adding individual seats with backs to the third deck. Again, I think this would be an awful decision; there just isn't room to do this.

Good job by the AD and the BOT.

Last edited:
Would not surprise me to hear commencement being as important as anything else. Obviously not monitarily but you would be sacrificing an entire cohort of graduates from undergrad, to MSc/MBA, to PHD and Esq. students.

I would understand the decision either way, but graduating in the dome is pretty cool (particularly after you spend 200K)

I think Wildhack did mention how important graduation was and work wouldn’t start till after commencement.

This is awesome news! And, it does seem genuine when discussing that future phases will indeed happen...as Wildhack stated, it's a top down approach, etc.

I will admit, I'm disappointed in the aesthetics of the exterior rendering. Maybe, and most likely, this is the result of that rendering from the Walter's Group that came out almost 2 years to the date. That rendering, at least from an aesthetic standpoint, was spectacular and much more attractive looking in my opinion.

Graduation in the Dome is a big deal. Starting construction after students have left is for safety reasons. The confines around the Dome are very, very tight. You don't want that kind of foot traffic during the academic year where students are exposed to conditions that can result in them getting hurt. At least when Ernie Davis Hall and the science complex were constructed, there was space and it could be easily avoided. That's not the case here. There are four residence halls (Day and Flint are on a hill, but the point remains) and a couple of academic/administrative buildings in the way.

Could Lax play at NBT Bank Stadium?

Could Lax play at NBT Bank Stadium?

Depends on what the Wilponzi's (angry Met fan here) think works best for them. If SU is willing to cut the check to rent the space out, they might work something out, but SU is not going forfeit any revenue from one of the few sports they can charge tickets for.

My two cents
Carrier deal I can careless. As far as I’m concerned is the minute they shipped jobs to Mexico the university should have used every legal action required to get out of it. Carrier has gotten enough out of the deal.

I hope the end game looks better then the drawings cause that exterior pic is awful looking. The interior view is cool. As usual with su they approach these types of meeting with either the bare minimum or info or some over the top pipe dream. This again is the lower side of it. Why no talks of the final plan. There has to be a design? Clearly nys funding that they thought was happening isn’t because this is a a lot further away from that leaked pic then I would have imagined.

There are new trusses, cables, and "masts" to support the new roof.

Once again, the rendering is structural. No decision had been made on what to cover it with. Talk of louvres (example) at press conference.. There is a good chance, it will be more attractive. Aesthetics are still in discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom