Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

people complain about bus stops, but the reason it stops is to make it easier for people, that doesnt mean its only going to stop where you want to go, subways would be nicer too if they were direct to your street, an airport in every town with direct flights is nice too..

Otto, c'mon be realistic. You may see folks walking and cycling, but it's still a very, very small population that does it as an every day mode of transportation. It just doesn't happen and never will.
There are European cities where the walking/cycling population is significant. Whether that's an anachronism or a sign of things to come remains to be seen.
(Of course, the public transit in Europe is far superior to what we have in most American cities.)

I suppose we're talking about different places. Combined mode share is above a quarter in a couple places I've lived and I believe it's around 10% even in a pretty backward place like Syracuse.

You may be right on the percentages, I honestly do not know. Hell, I even take the bus to work, but in order to do so I drive my car to a Park N Ride lot. But, that's only for work, otherwise I drive. And even though I live in the fourth largest city in the country, I live in a rural area. I also require a truck. I tried living with a car, even a hybrid at one point, but it was not feasible, particularly for someone like me that prefers to maintain my own property rather than hire out for the work. Yes, I'm one person, but I suspect that my type of person is more than 5% of the population. This country will never be more than 50% combined/share ride, and personally I think autonomous driving is going to be more like 3D TV than not, at least in my lifetime.

There are European cities where the walking/cycling population is significant. Whether that's an anachronism or a sign of things to come remains to be seen.
(Of course, the public transit in Europe is far superior to what we have in most American cities.)

This country is more than cities. There are no European countries of our size nor diversity of lifestyle. Look at Houston, or even LA. It's nothing like NY or Chicago. Both are larger in landsize. Houston doesn't even have zoning!!!! So, nothing is really centralized. We have Fortune 500 companies downtown, Greenway Plaza, Energy Corridor, and scattered around the city. The vast majority of the population is nowhere near a walk or bike to their destination(s). And that will never change around here.

th

This country is more than cities. There are no European countries of our size nor diversity of lifestyle. Look at Houston, or even LA. It's nothing like NY or Chicago. Both are larger in landsize. Houston doesn't even have zoning!!!! So, nothing is really centralized. We have Fortune 500 companies downtown, Greenway Plaza, Energy Corridor, and scattered around the city. The vast majority of the population is nowhere near a walk or bike to their destination(s). And that will never change around here.

Never is a long time. Houston today is much different from Houston 100 years ago. We have no idea what Houston 100 years from now will be. As mentioned above, a few more "500 year" storms could change a lot of things.

You may be right on the percentages, I honestly do not know. Hell, I even take the bus to work, but in order to do so I drive my car to a Park N Ride lot. But, that's only for work, otherwise I drive. And even though I live in the fourth largest city in the country, I live in a rural area. I also require a truck. I tried living with a car, even a hybrid at one point, but it was not feasible, particularly for someone like me that prefers to maintain my own property rather than hire out for the work. Yes, I'm one person, but I suspect that my type of person is more than 5% of the population. This country will never be more than 50% combined/share ride, and personally I think autonomous driving is going to be more like 3D TV than not, at least in my lifetime.
You forgot the trailer that is towed by the truck. ;)

Never is a long time. Houston today is much different from Houston 100 years ago. We have no idea what Houston 100 years from now will be. As mentioned above, a few more "500 year" storms could change a lot of things.
It's not Houston, NYC or even Syracuse. It's what lies in between. If you have ever driven cross country you begin to realize how much of the population lives in rural suburbia.

Based on primary results, it is Juanita Perez-Williams (JPW) vs Walsh as the next mayor whose job it will be to secure a dome funding deal with Cuomo. JPW has former ties to Cuomo when he was the attorney general, but she doesn't strike me as someone who will fully appreciate the impact of SU sports on this community. Unless someone advises differently, I'd say Walsh is who we should be rooting for. This is a big deal, folks, if you want anything like those initial renderings that we saw.

Didn't Walsh work for Miner? Not sure if that's a positive or a negative.

Didn't Walsh work for Miner? Not sure if that's a positive or a negative.
Yeah that does give me the willies. I just have to believe he'll want to do his family proud and want to make a big splash. But I'm hoping others will have better insight.

The old parts of European cities were built in a time of travel by foot, horses and carriages, most of the U.S. has been developed since the automobile. When I was in Europe, often, we had to catch a bus from our town to a neighboring town to catch a train to wherever. In old sections of towns/villages/cities, modern vehicles cannot drive through due to walls being so close to each other or the incline is too steep or stepped. Cities in Europe tend to be much closer together. Bullet trains are useful, similar to the northeast bullet trains in the U.S. However, a bullet train from NYC or D.C. to Chicago (713 or 595 air miles), respectively will not get a person from one place to the other any quicker than an airline. Whereas, Western Europe fits between the Mississippi River and the Atlantic coast (an approximation) with a more dense population; west of the Mississippi if far more sparsely populated until you reach the West Coast, Texas (centered in five cities) and a few other spots.

Public transportation in Europe is often superior than that in the U.S., contrary, road systems are far more developed and used more than European roads. American love cars, Europeans like public transportation, at least at first glance. Of course, the gasoline and diesel taxes in Europe are far beyond even NY and CA.

Based on primary results, it is Juanita Perez-Williams (JPW) vs Walsh as the next mayor whose job it will be to secure a dome funding deal with Cuomo. JPW has former ties to Cuomo when he was the attorney general, but she doesn't strike me as someone who will fully appreciate the impact of SU sports on this community. Unless someone advises differently, I'd say Walsh is who we should be rooting for. This is a big deal, folks, if you want anything like those initial renderings that we saw.
For SU football fans there are three positive signs if Juanita Perez Williams is elected mayor. 1) She has ties to the Cuomo administration to secure funding for the renovation. 2) She was previously employed in a high ranking position at SU. 3) One of her top priorities is restoring the OnTrack train service.

For SU football fans there are three positive signs if Juanita Perez Williams is elected mayor. 1) She has ties to the Cuomo administration to secure funding for the renovation. 2) She was previously employed in a high ranking position at SU. 3) One of her top priorities is restoring the OnTrack train service.
If she wants all of that...I'd vote for her.

She's going to get the City of Syracuse to subsidize the train? Because it kept going bankrupt for a reason.

quad_600x310px.jpg

As we embark on a new academic year under Chancellor Syverud’s leadership…
…we look to solidify Syracuse University’s standing as a distinctive and preeminent global research institution. This effort is displayed through our Invest Syracuse initiative, and is reflected in the Academic Strategic Plan and Campus Framework. Your partnership will help Syracuse University achieve these goals.

Soon, you will receive a letter that will detail the efforts being made to enhance the excellence of Syracuse University’s schools and units for our students, faculty, staff, and alumni.

Syracuse University’s aspirations depend on the support of our alumni, parents, and friends. I do hope you’ll join us.

Sincerely,

neal_signature_260x54px.gif

Jeffrey R. Neal ’06, G’15
Executive Director, Direct Response Programs
Advancement and External Affairs

P.S. We value your thoughts and feedback around our efforts, and I invite you to connect with us at giving.

A lot of people want to do that. I have not seen their prices more than a cab. In any case, they are extremely convenient and easier to request than a cab...and usually more prompt.
You clearly have never taken a cab in Syracuse.

A friend of mine took a cab from Sammy Malones in Baldwinsville, no joke he lives 3 miles away, the cab ride was $40. Same exact ride via Uber was $7, not even really a comparison between the two.

You clearly have never taken a cab in Syracuse.

A friend of mine took a cab from Sammy Malones in Baldwinsville, no joke he lives 3 miles away, the cab ride was $40. Same exact ride via Uber was $7, not even really a comparison between the two.
Right. That agrees with my point of view. I have not seen Uber prices being more than a cab. That was my point.

Latest rumors of Dome reno project start date - 2021 - sooner if SU gets injection of NYS funding.

The thoughts behind this new date will be that the project will be left up to new chancellor after Severud's contract is done and he either leaves or retires. Most likely just a kick of the can down the road until they are forced to do something due to end of life of Dome roof.

Latest rumors of Dome reno project start date - 2021 - sooner if SU gets injection of NYS funding.

The thoughts behind this new date will be that the project will be left up to new chancellor after Severud's contract is done and he either leaves or retires. Most likely just a kick of the can down the road until they are forced to do something due to end of life of Dome roof.
bravo.gif

2021...wow! That's not good news. Makes it seem like all the news and announcements the university made on this was just to get headlines and the school was never serious about renovations aside from the roof. It's sad

Well that's disappointing, actually par for the course so I guess I shouldn't be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom