Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 120 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Seems like every year there's a crane accident in some big city, somewhere, with disastrous results. Usually high winds. We've made jokes about the crane falling and getting the 81 project started... but more likely in a thunderstorm there would be west winds and the crane might end up resting somewhere in 311 heaven.

Sooooo, they shouldn't use a crane?

Image result for cornell university pumpkin

Image result for cornell university pumpkin

Seeing the crane on a college campus reminded me of the Cornell pumpkin mystery. Boys will be boys. I hope they have an overnight guard posted on the crane.

Sooooo, they shouldn't use a crane?
That's not what I'm saying. Of course SU will take every precaution - I just don't know how long it takes to put the crane down in advance of bad weather. If it was that simple, there would never be a crane incident. And I'm sure any time they have to stop and take it down it will be a costly delay, so it's not as simple as it sounds.

Make no mistake, it's really cool to see that in the skyline, visible from pretty much any vantage point.

Seems like every year there's a crane accident in some big city, somewhere, with disastrous results. Usually high winds. We've made jokes about the crane falling and getting the 81 project started... but more likely in a thunderstorm there would be west winds and the crane might end up resting somewhere in 311 heaven.

As a 311Heavener, the crane is welcome as long as it gets painted to orange thank you

crane accidents tend to be when the smaller cranes are actually on the bldgs though,

That's not what I'm saying. Of course SU will take every precaution - I just don't know how long it takes to put the crane down in advance of bad weather. If it was that simple, there would never be a crane incident. And I'm sure any time they have to stop and take it down it will be a costly delay, so it's not as simple as it sounds.

Make no mistake, it's really cool to see that in the skyline, visible from pretty much any vantage point.

OK. An accident could happen, of course. I suspect it'd be a remarkably rare thing to happen, given the precautions you noted. Thus, I don't track your comment. What's your point?

A player could get hurt at practice today, too.

OK. An accident could happen, of course. I suspect it'd be a remarkably rare thing to happen, given the precautions you noted. Thus, I don't track your comment. What's your point?

A player could get hurt at practice today, too.
The stakes are much higher because of its size and proximity to the dome. This isn't your grandma's crane in anytown, USA. As long as SU took out a hefty insurance policy on the Dome we'll be ok.

The stakes are much higher because of its size and proximity to the dome. This isn't your grandma's crane in anytown, USA. As long as SU took out a hefty insurance policy on the Dome we'll be ok.

I'm certain Syracuse University and its trustee's have their exposure covered to the hilt. I presume SU won't be "active" in directing, supervising, instructing, etc. any of the work on site (therefore, severely limiting their exposure). But, rather this will be the daily scope/activities of the hired GC, Construction Manager, it's subcontractors and the like. No doubt hold-harmless, indemnity contracts/agreements will be in place, as well as SU being named as an "Additional Named Insured" under those CGL policies.

Undoubtedly, the policies, CGL, Worker's Comp, etc. are enormous from a premium standpoint, and clearly figured into the job bidding, etc. New York State's labor laws are very strict when it comes to falls, etc. from any heights, as LL 240 & 241 basically places "absolute liability" on all of the parties, except the employee/injured party. If something horrible were to happen, SU certainly will be sued and then file a 3rd party impleader against the responsible party/parties, etc. In NYS you can not sue your employer directly.

SU's main exposure comes from a pure premises standpoint and whether they have fulfilled its obligations/duties to makes sure (as the landowner) to keep the grounds clear of any relative hazards, etc. and its responsibilities as the premises owner to conduct routine type inspections and/or "sweeps." Both "constructive" and "actual" notice will play a role in any defense of this principal exposure.

Last edited:
I'm certain Syracuse University and its trustee's have their exposure covered to the hilt. I presume SU won't be "active" in directing, supervising, instructing, etc. any of the work on site (therefore, severely limiting their exposure). But, rather this will be the daily scope/activities of the hired GC, Construction Manager, it's subcontractors and the like. No doubt hold-harmless, indemnity contracts/agreements will be in place, as well as SU being named as an "Additional Named Insured" under those CGL policies.

Undoubtedly, the policies, CGL, Worker's Comp, etc. are enormous from a premium standpoint, and clearly figured into the job bidding, etc. New York State's labor laws are very strict when it comes to falls, etc. from any heights, as LL 240 & 241 basically places "absolute liability" on all of the parties, except the employee/injured party. If something horrible were to happen, SU certainly will be sued and then file a 3rd party impleader against the responsible party/parties, etc. In NYS you can not sue your employer directly.

SU's main exposure comes from a pure premises standpoint and whether they have fulfilled its obligations/duties to makes sure (as the landowner) to keep the grounds clear of any relative hazards, etc. and its responsibilities as the premises owner to conduct routine type inspections and/or "sweeps." Both "constructive" and "actual" notice will play a role in any defense of this principal exposure.
^^
What he said. lol :confused:

Now you're just making stuff up.

Is the new stadium going to have a different name? Have we come to a conclusion yet if Carrier is still going to own the naming rights? How much could Syracuse make a year off new naming rights?

Now you're just making stuff up.

"Making stuff up?" Hardly. Though, continue on in that regard...if you're interested in further showing your ignorance on that matter.

"Making stuff up?" Hardly. Though, continue on in that regard...if you're interested in further showing your ignorance on that matter.
Lighten up Francis...learn to relax and laugh a little bit. You are on a message board not a court room.

All that mumbo jumbo and you can't sniff out sarcasm when my post was dripping with it.

They started putting some metal rods (rebars?) on top of the dome today.
Wouldn't they be burying bolts in the concrete on the roof ring to bolt down the new steel ring that is going around the dome? Rebar would be if they were adding concrete to the ring I would think wouldn't it?

Wouldn't they be burying bolts in the concrete on the roof ring to bolt down the new steel ring that is going around the dome? Rebar would be if they were adding concrete to the ring I would think wouldn't it?

No idea. Was only told that some kind of bars were being put in. Maybe they were huge bolts. The person that told me isn’t a construction person.

No idea. Was only told that some kind of bars were being put in. Maybe they were huge bolts. The person that told me isn’t a construction person.
Ah OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom