Future Head Coaching Candidates Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Future Head Coaching Candidates Thread

I'd take Michigans next 5 years over ours in a heartbeat.

His son is a young head coach already, he doesn't need help.

Please don't use the Dome or the Melo Center as why this is a better job.

We're closer in proximity to recruitment hot beds. We're in the ACC, which is the better basketball conference (despite what people may think about this years tournament). We can beat his current contract.

Why the hell wouldn't I use the Dome or Melo center as an argument?

Where would you rather have home court advantage, the dome or Crisler Center? Give me a break.

He's an outstanding offensive coach, but his teams always seem a bit soft and are not that physical. I would like to see somebody in here who can recruit guys who can rebound and score in the low post. Anybody can shoot threes. I want a balanced offense.
Mitch Mcgary/Trey Burke/Tim Hardaway Jr say hi. That was a not-so-soft team.

We're closer in proximity to recruitment hot beds. We're in the ACC, which is the better basketball conference (despite what people may think about this years tournament). We can beat his current contract.

Why the hell wouldn't I use the Dome or Melo center as an argument?

Where would you rather have home court advantage, the dome or Crisler Center? Give me a break.

Why has Michigan recruited better than us?

Why leave a spot where he's had great success?

Any dollar figure thrown out there Michigan will match and meet.

The Melo Center isn't half as nice as Michigans practice facility.

As for he Crisler, it doesn't hold as much as the Dome but it's an amazing atmosphere.

As for he Crisler, it doesn't hold as much as the Dome but it's an amazing atmosphere.
It's a great job, as you say. Not sure why he'd want to leave it for this one (another great job) at age 64 or whatever he is. Also not sure why SU would want to bring someone in at that age anyway.

If we ever want to win in the tournament I don't want Tony Bennett.
I don't think Bennett has ever had a recruit in the top 40. He does remarkably well, considering, and with the Dome and Melo center, plus a good recruiter, he'd be dangerous. He already does much better than we do in the ACC.

1. We have recruiting sanctions, a list of untimely one-and-dones, and a coach thats over 70 years old and doesn't travel to see recruits anymore.

2. Money is my only worry.

3. Nah. The Crisler's a great college arena with a crazy atmosphere, but the Domes a cathedral. This was a down year by all standards, but the Dome's second only to places like Rupp/Allen/Cameron and maybe Assembly Hall. Especially if ramblings about renovations are true.

UVA's problem isn't talent, it is the system. I don't want any part of the Pitt, UVA, Butler, Wisconsin style of play.
I think he's smart enough to play a system that befits the quality of his recruits.

I don't think Bennett has ever had a recruit in the top 40. He does remarkably well, considering, and with the Dome and Melo center, plus a good recruiter, he'd be dangerous. He already does much better than we do in the ACC.

Guy and Jerome are close. They definitely were top 50.

Mitch Mcgary/Trey Burke/Tim Hardaway Jr say hi. That was a not-so-soft team.

Hardaway and Burke are guards. McGary had one good season.
Give me someone who coaches bigs like Kansas or North Carolina.
Yes, of course they get elite talent, but they use their bigs on offense to do more than just set picks.

I'd love for it to be Buzz Williams. Don't think we'd have to 'beat' his current salary. Matching it while offering better facilities and recruiting potential and our heritage ought to be enough.

Remember when we played VaTech this year? And Buzz was all dressed-up in a snazzy suit? I was kinda hoping then that he was sorta auditioning for us... Wasn't it him that had some 'extra words' for Hopkins in the post game handshake line? Portending of something?

Collins? I'd be worried he might be a K successor. Guys who have ties to even higher-profile programs scare me. Don't want to be a stepping stone to another destination.

Last edited:
1. We have recruiting sanctions, a list of untimely one-and-dones, and a coach thats over 70 years old and doesn't travel to see recruits anymore.

2. Money is my only worry.

3. Nah. The Crisler's a great college arena with a crazy atmosphere, but the Domes a cathedral. This was a down year by all standards, but the Dome's second only to places like Rupp/Allen/Cameron and maybe Assembly Hall. Especially if ramblings about renovations are true.

I've been to quite a few college games, the Dome is remarkable when it's a full house for a big game. Outside of that it's not a big deal at all.

List of coaches that need to be interviewed in order the second next year ends: 1) Randy Bennett 2) Greg Marshall 3) Scott Cross 4) Chris Mack 5) Archie Miller (posted this in the Hop thread and moved it here)

Not many here know Scott Cross and who he is-Fantastic man/coach. Players LOVE him, very good motivator, has completely changed the culture/results at UTA, and understands the PNR offensively and defensively. I would love for Syracuse to look at him and think he could do outstanding here.

List of coaches that need to be interviewed in order the second next year ends: 1) Randy Bennett 2) Greg Marshall 3) Scott Cross 4) Chris Mack 5) Archie Miller (posted this in the Hop thread and moved it here)

Not many here know Scott Cross and who he is-Fantastic man/coach. Players LOVE him, very good motivator, has completely changed the culture/results at UTA, and understands the PNR offensively and defensively. I would love for Syracuse to look at him and think he could do outstanding here.

I can only assume you are Scott Cross's agent.

pining for Mark Few

expecting 3 more years of JB then Gerry McNamara

the7f6a493.gif

Looking up and down, when considering young talent, there's not many big p5 coaches that are worth breaking the bank or agonizing realistically about.

People are probably right, Beilein is in his 60s and probably standing firm in Michigan, I gotta be realistic about that.

However, I think Buzz Williams is the one guy if any thats worth going all in on besides Jay Wright.

Buzz being far, far, far more realistic than Jay. He also has all the energy this stagnant program needs.

Looking up and down, when considering young talent, there's not many big p5 coaches that are worth breaking the bank or agonizing realistically about.

People are probably right, Beilein is in his 60s and probably standing firm in Michigan, I gotta be realistic about that.

However, I think Buzz Williams is the one guy if any thats worth going all in on besides Jay Wright.

Buzz being far, far, far more realistic than Jay. He also has all the energy this stagnant program needs.
Buzz Williams is not realistic. He has a great contract at VT. Cuse would have to buy that out and then pay him what he is getting. Not happening. Beilein is going to be 65 but I wouldn't hate that and I am sure Cuse would have to buy him out of that as well. Why Mid Major is the route Syracuse will go. Which is perfectly fine! Will not break the bank and are qualified coaches.

Buzz Williams is not realistic. He has a great contract at VT. Cuse would have to buy that out and then pay him what he is getting. Not happening. Beilein is going to be 65 but I wouldn't hate that and I am sure Cuse would have to buy him out of that as well. Why Mid Major is the route Syracuse will go. Which is perfectly fine! Will not break the bank and are qualified coaches.

I don't know, really think Buzz would pass up coaching at Syracuse for VTech? I'd understand many other schools with that sort of money, but VTech?

I'd be fine with a young, energetic, proven mid major coach.

I don't know, really think Buzz would pass up coaching at Syracuse for VTech? I'd understand many other schools with that sort of money, but VTech?

I'd be fine with a young, energetic, proven mid major coach.
Money. Has to make sense for Syracuse financially and that unfortunately wouldn't. Second Babcock got the job at VTech he basically told Buzz "write your own contract." Buzz is on like a 7 year deal.

Money. Has to make sense for Syracuse financially and that unfortunately wouldn't. Second Babcock got the job at VTech he basically told Buzz "write your own contract." Buzz is on like a 7 year deal.

What an unfortunate situation we're in.

A mid-major guy could be swell, but it could also be terrible.

What an unfortunate situation we're in.

A mid-major guy could be swell, but it could also be terrible.
We are fine, man haha. Marshall is affordable, Cross, Bennett, and I am sure some other ones. This is a great school and program. The right coach will do great here

We are fine, man haha. Marshall is affordable, Cross, Bennett, and I am sure some other ones. This is a great school and program. The right coach will do great here

Money can't force the hand of a stubborn old man. I'm not worried about find a good candidate, I'm worried about what the state of the program will be when it's handed over.

Buzz would be ideal, but we will never pay that much. I personally think Willard is a great fit, though most don't, it seems. He can recruit NY/NJ, where we've lacked lately. Would be nice to get top talent out of that area again.