Future of SU Football | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Future of SU Football

Marrone hated recruiting. It’s well documented. But you’re saying, without any proof, that he would have brought us out of the doldrums? Speculation at best

Who would love recruiting? it starts out as a seller's market and if you can get them to come here, suddenly it's a buyer's market. You go from begging to issuing orders.

Marrone hated recruiting. It’s well documented. But you’re saying, without any proof, that he would have brought us out of the doldrums? Speculation at best
I know first hand how Marrone was as a recruiter but that wasnt the point I was making. Coaching, development and culture is the most important thing a head coach can provide. You can hire a staff of guys with recruiting prowess. Also, in my opinion stability was the most important thing a fragile program needed. We had that going with Marrone. With the new facilities added and consistent winning. How do you not think recruiting could have got better? Im not talking top 25 good. Im saying improved.

Yeah I'm also in the camp that coaching and player development are more important for SU. Recruiting can be and should be better here but we're not a selector school anymore, it's not the best use of what resources we have IMO. Having good player development/experience/depth at the key positions (QB, OL, DL, Secondary) leads to having winning seasons and thus lifting recruiting.

Let's say Dino gets fired. Would Joe Moorehead be considered and if so would he be interested?

Yeah I'm also in the camp that coaching and player development are more important for SU. Recruiting can be and should be better but we're not a selector school anymore, it's not the best use of what resources we have IMO. Having good player development/experience/depth at the key positions (QB, OL, DL, Secondary) leads to having winning seasons and thus lifting recruiting.
Well said. Great recruiters are costly. They well get new offers each year. Will we be able to match them each year? Are they equally good at coaching? Those are the things people have to think about when the say bring in ace recruiters. Plus there are lots of 4/5 star recruits dont pan out. In our situation we will need every one we get to play up to expectations.

Let's hope Dino finds his Ohana this season. If he can win 7 go to a decent bowl we might start to make progress with this Staff.
I'm still waiting for the 10 win season recruiting bump. I would have expected higher ranked kids committing the following summer, but it didn't happen. I think it takes more than one year.

totally expected
Tipp, we're all a little bit on edge about the state of the program. Yes, there is a scenario that would lead to doom and gloom. But, we're SYRACUSE! If you can't find hope anywhere for the future of the program then it really is time to jump off the train. We're in much better shape now than we were at the end of Ben's career. We survived that and, lo and behold, we thrived after some bumpy years.
Stay strong and stay Orange!

Let's say Dino gets fired. Would Joe Moorehead be considered and if so would he be interested?

If Dino gets fired (and i'm hoping he doesn't. to me he's the answer) I really hope we go full retro and find the best coach from the north east who can recruit the area.

To me, our most successful modern coaches are Pasqualoni and Mac. Both are New England guys. It's not lost on me that they were guys who could recruit the back yard and were intrepid enough to find assistants to scour Florida/NJ as well.

Not sure who that guy is but I have a kid in a ISL school in Boston and I see how Michigan are just trolling the prep schools like no one's business. It can't be Harbrough it must have been Don Brown who had relationships with BBN, Milton, etc. All the best from Mass are not going public anymore but to the preps. Huge diff in the 25 years since I graduated from public school.

I think our recruiting on Defense has been good enough the last few years, particularly in the back 7. The DL recruiting has picked up since White joined the staff. Surprisingly with Dino, the weakness in recruiting has been on Offense, particularly at QB and OL.
That's one of the things that is most concerning to me about Dino. When he was first implementing the offense and rebuilding our identity on offense, it seemed like he was building a great case for recruits particularly at the skill positions, to come play at SU and put up video game like stats. However, it just hasn't happened.

Let’s be realistic here. There is no way SU can compete financially or athletically with the top football schools in the US, let alone the ACC and it is quite evident in recruiting and wins. With the NIL now in place, it will be more difficult to right our ship for I feel the major college sports are now doomed to fail.
Would SU ever consider leaving the ACC for the Big East in all sports except football and become an independent like BYU, ND, UMass and UConn? Hoops would flourish again and SU wouldn’t have to worry about beating Clemson or FSU every 15 years. Time for a change is needed for I do not see the football program ever completing on a national level like hoops. There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
I am so tired of our losing and want something to be done in a positive manner for all signs are pointing that our losing seasons will continue. SU is now bunched with the lowest rated football teams in America which is sad considering we were 10 - 3 several years ago. It sounds crazy and as an ex Cuse player, I am open to what you have to say. Cheers!
NUTS

I like this idea a lot. Other big names who could be available with ties to the east coast are Rich Rod and Chip Kelly.

As many of you know my personal favorites are Todd Monken and Ken Nieumatalolo and their option offenses.

Let’s be realistic here. There is no way SU can compete financially or athletically with the top football schools in the US, let alone the ACC and it is quite evident in recruiting and wins. With the NIL now in place, it will be more difficult to right our ship for I feel the major college sports are now doomed to fail.
Would SU ever consider leaving the ACC for the Big East in all sports except football and become an independent like BYU, ND, UMass and UConn? Hoops would flourish again and SU wouldn’t have to worry about beating Clemson or FSU every 15 years. Time for a change is needed for I do not see the football program ever completing on a national level like hoops. There are plenty of teams that would play SU in football and it would be exciting for road game travel.
I am so tired of our losing and want something to be done in a positive manner for all signs are pointing that our losing seasons will continue. SU is now bunched with the lowest rated football teams in America which is sad considering we were 10 - 3 several years ago. It sounds crazy and as an ex Cuse player, I am open to what you have to say. Cheers!
Nonsense.

If Dino gets fired (and i'm hoping he doesn't. to me he's the answer) I really hope we go full retro and find the best coach from the north east who can recruit the area.

To me, our most successful modern coaches are Pasqualoni and Mac. Both are New England guys. It's not lost on me that they were guys who could recruit the back yard and were intrepid enough to find assistants to scour Florida/NJ as well.

Not sure who that guy is but I have a kid in a ISL school in Boston and I see how Michigan are just trolling the prep schools like no one's business. It can't be Harbrough it must have been Don Brown who had relationships with BBN, Milton, etc. All the best from Mass are not going public anymore but to the preps. Huge diff in the 25 years since I graduated from public school.

There will be a thread like this after every loss this season. :(

Clawson has done a good job despite the big splash win. There is steadiness in his program. 4 straight winning seasons. I rather have that then a 10 win season surrounded by 4-8 seasons. It would be a lot easier to sell us to recuits if we were coming off 4 straight winning seasons.
Yep me too. But I think it's fair game to point out the flaw in the pro-Clawson argument too. He's done a good job - but not a great job. Similar to Doreen and Narduzzi. That may be our ideal ceiling too.

But we'll always have those two things too. A feather in Dino's cap.

Sidenote on Wake and maybe NC State. NIL in their neck of the woods might be tough sledding. The two lesser teams fighting with big brands next door.

At least we're one of the only games in town.

Yep me too. But I think it's fair game to point out the flaw in the pro-Clawson argument too. He's done a good job - but not a great job. Similar to Doreen and Narduzzi. That may be our ideal ceiling too.

But we'll always have those two things too. A feather in Dino's cap.
What argument are you talking about? Im not aware of this push for clawson on this board. Please enlightnen me

There will be a thread like this after every loss this season. :(

I'm going to try and exercise maximum amount of self control game to game. I really believe Dino has to be evaluated through the whole season and see where the chips fall in December.

I suspect if we start 1-6 then any self control will cede to realism though. I have high hopes that we pull out a 8 win season this year.

I'm just pointing out we took a massive left hand turn after Pasqualoni style wise. Marrone was somewhat of a throwback but was still an NFL guy at his core (and was proven to be). Any decision has to be viewed through the lens of what worked at one point here and is it do-able again. It's not ridiculous to point out where the program flourished and under who and where it took on water.