Future Stadium Options | Syracusefan.com

Future Stadium Options

Football Stadium Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
So many different ways to go...vote your vision...tell us why.

I gotta be on the Dome renovation team at this point. We need to refurbish football now... This is the easiest and most likely scenario in the next few years. Who knows where we will be if football tanks in 10 years. Why try and plan that far out, when we have a viable and suitable option in front of us. Not to mention, any upgrades to the Dome could help solicit outside income from other events, concerts, NCAA games, monster truck rallies, etc.

That's not to say, I wouldn't love a brand new stadium, with a retractable roof and plenty of tailgating. But its taken us years to raise 5 mil for some basic facility upgrades. We need to be practical!

Didn't a lot of people state their vision and why in that really really long thread?

I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but to me, a retractable roof seems as wise of an investment as the Springfield Monorail on The Simpsons.

I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but to me, a retractable roof seems as wise of an investment as the Springfield Monorail on The Simpsons.

ha... Talk about a killer for Springfield... But they did come up with a great little theme song for it! :)

Didn't a lot of people state their vision and why in that really really long thread?
Is there anything else more pressing? In May when the Lax team appears DOA? Might as well beat the horse some more.

Is there anything else more pressing? In May when the Lax team appears DOA? Might as well beat the horse some more.

Actually no, since we finally got a depth chart. ;)

I love the retractable roof idea (would be a hell of a selling point to potential recruits). Would prefer it stays on campus because it would be less a deterent to students having to travel, plus the parking situation would be better on South Campus than anywhere downtown. Likely more roadblocks to getting it all funded approved by the state and the potential eminent domain holding up timing.

The State Fair grounds would be interesting. What are the venues like for concerts at the Fair? Think they could draw some big summer tours with an open-air stadium there, or are those venues fine for big headliners?

the school just needs an infusion of $$$.

how about putting a team of lawyers together to find a way to rip that contract up that said the Dome must always be called Carrier??

it seems every other 'ironclad' contract in the world can be torn up and an out clause suddenly appears.

but this one is like stonehenge.

there has got to be some precedent somewhere that says 'the world has changed, unforseen circumstances have arisen and basically, whoever signed that contract in 1980 was a freakin idiot. WE'RE OUT'.

Oh Lord

how about putting a team of lawyers together to find a way to rip that contract up that said the Dome must always be called Carrier??

it seems every other 'ironclad' contract in the world can be torn up and an out clause suddenly appears.

there has got to be some precedent somewhere that says 'the world has changed, unforseen circumstances have arisen and basically, whoever signed that contract in 1980 was a freakin idiot. WE'RE OUT'.

Oh Lord

Does anyone know what naming rights would go for (estimated) per year if we could kick Carrier to the curb?

Pfft, it's more of a Shelbyville idea anyways.

I want a new dome stadium for football and basketball. The roof does not need to be retractable.

I voted for 2 but it was based on the investment amount...not what was proposed in that option. I don't care about the seats much. I do think they could spend 10s of millions though... new concourse, meeting areas, food courts, technology, cosmetics. In short, more amenities but not reduced seating capacity.

And that stadium is used maybe 10 times a year...Carrier is laughing at Syracuse

It's also in Minneapolis, which as a market is 5X the size of Syracuse.

And that stadium is used maybe 10 times a year...Carrier is laughing at Syracuse
As a long term fundraising tool, selling the name to Carrier was short sighted to say the least, but at the time the Stadium cost approx $27 million to build and it was all paid for except the naming piece which Carrier pitched in.

I'd like there to be a new stadium on, or near, campus. In the meantime, things I'd like to see. Some easy, some cheap, some pie in the sky.

1. The dome is reminiscent of the Manley fieldhouse for BB. Crowd is very close to the field. Research what made Manley the zoo it was and mimic it for football. "You! You! You!"
2. Use what the dome has and others don't. In Buffalo, when the Sabres hockey team is introduced, it is a combination light show and team highlights projected onto the ice. SU should get a ribbonboard going, an intro using the video screens with SU highlights, combined with laser light show, maybe even video, projected on the dome "ceiling." Imagine a recruit walking into the dome and being "introduced" as part of SU history combined with a laser light show. Or a mini burst of laser lights when SU scores.
3. Put a brick facade on the dome exterior. Make it more collegiate looking and less industrial district.
4. More band, less recorded tunes during breaks. And less, freakin' announcements. What happened to the low brass playing "Theme from Underdog"?
5. More fun in the dome. It was more interesting when a variety of creatures and mascots roamed. The Dome Ranger, Beast of the East, etc. We can be serious about SU football without being solemn.

It's also in Minneapolis, which as a market is 5X the size of Syracuse.

I kinda get your point but not really:

More people see the Carrier Dome in person and on TV than Minnie's FB Stadium.

Lambeau Field is in a tiny market...but it would garner more naming rights money than just about every other NFL stadium. Not as simple as Metro size to determine value.

Oh Lord

It really is crazy that we can't get out of it. We didn't even have an out clause if the factory packed up and left Syracuse.

I need to get down to Video Paradise in Oswego and see if the $20 lifetime membership I bought in 1984 is still valid. Something tells me that even those clowns had an out plan.

Carrier pays $1M for lifetime rights. But if we remove the name Carrier, something tells me we pay a exit fee that's adjusted for inflation. Whoever closed that deal on Carrier's side probably enjoys (or enjoyed) a nice early retirement.

It really is crazy that we can't get out of it. We didn't even have an out clause if the factory packed up and left Syracuse.

I need to get down to Video Paradise in Oswego and see if the $20 lifetime membership I bought in 1984 is still valid. Something tells me that even those clowns had an out plan.

Carrier pays $1M for lifetime rights. But if we remove the name Carrier, something tells me we pay a exit fee that's adjusted for inflation. Whoever closed that deal on Carrier's side probably enjoys (or enjoyed) a nice early retirement.
Mel Holm, Carrier CEO was also on the Board of Trustees at the time.

From a legal perspective, I wonder how much investment/upgrade/changes it would take to legally claim that the Dome is no longer the facility it was when first built, hence the naming agreement no longer applies as the Carrier Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom