FWIW...Student mask compliance... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FWIW...Student mask compliance...

I think it makes collaborating a little easier, at least for us up here. It's much easier to carve time out to meet when all you have to do is pull up the zoom. I'm in meetings most of each day, if I had a meeting on lower campus, then the next on upper, I'd have to block out 15-30 minutes to walk/bus back up (parking is nonexistent). Add in the days where it's -40 degrees and you're like "maaaan, I'll just meet with that program in the spring".
Zoom meetings are killing me, but I've been able to "pop in" and catch up with many departments/programs that PC (pre covid) I would have only bumped into once or twice a semester.
Thankfully, "beer meetings" are starting to become a thing again

Most of my meetings are with people in my department and/or IT, who work in the building right across the street. My particular job involves a lot of troubleshooting and getting together for "group huddles" (I hate buzzwords) happens frequently. Well, it did happen frequently until mid March. Now you do a Teams and hear the person live, then hear them a half second later through your computer. Sharing a screen and fumbling through it is much more of a hindrance than 2 or 3 people sitting together and talking through the issue & possible solutions.

Also - semi unrelated - when I saw the alert that you responded to 1 of my posts, I figured it was the one that referenced funneling. :cool:

I'm here to tell you that you cannot functionally play a tuba with a mask on.

Only think that would fly is percussion.
Are you completely certain about this? ;)

081920b.jpg

Most of my meetings are with people in my department and/or IT, who work in the building right across the street. My particular job involves a lot of troubleshooting and getting together for "group huddles" (I hate buzzwords) happens frequently. Well, it did happen frequently until mid March. Now you do a Teams and hear the person live, then hear them a half second later through your computer. Sharing a screen and fumbling through it is much more of a hindrance than 2 or 3 people sitting together and talking through the issue & possible solutions.

Also - semi unrelated - when I saw the alert that you responded to 1 of my posts, I figured it was the one that referenced funneling. :cool:

Haha! totally reasonable assumption

Back in early April, we were ending a zoom meeting and someone says "Hey Adam, I just want to thank you for funneling all this information down to us, it's extremely helpful" Before I could stop myself I responded with "We'll, I've always been good at funneling". Ughh lol

Wanna know something crazy? I saw the marching band practicing today playing their instruments while wearing masks.
Probably sounded better (to be fair, I can't stand marching bands)

Haha! totally reasonable assumption

Back in early April, we were ending a zoom meeting and someone says "Hey Adam, I just want to thank you for funneling all this information down to us, it's extremely helpful" Before I could stop myself I responded with "We'll, I've always been good at funneling". Ughh lol

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Please keep in mind what it was like the life and mentality of being a college student was like and being that age. All I'm saying.

Keep in mind we are in a pandemic. Did you see Notre Dame, Michigsn and UNC?

There’s no excuse for being irresponsible.

Last edited:

While I want to make it clear that I'm not giving them a pass like CR might be something like this happening while very disappointing is 100% unsurprising and pretty much inevitable. When you out together a few thousand 18 and 19 year old college freshman its not a matter of if their going to break social distancing and quarantine rules but when. Short of 24 hour surveillance this kind of stuff is again inevitable.

maybe they have a better appreciation of risk than others

for staff that has a higher risk from the disease they have some hard choices on if they interact take a leave or teach remotely

This is a major embarrassment. Syverud needs to come down on these kids. Lock down Flint and Day and make them all get tested. They all signed the stay safe pledge. It's not fair to all the kids who have done the right thing, who paid to stay in a hotel for the last two weeks, got tested on their own dime in order to return to SU. I'm pissed off by this reckless disregard for the SU community.
I wouldn't want to be in the Chancellor's shoes this morning. There is a lot riding on his response to this.

The local college where I live is having a rough time already, I've seen a bunch of larger gatherings and very low mask wearing by the kids...it's a shame and I'm sure it will be shut down soon.

While I want to make it clear that I'm not giving them a pass like CR might be something like this happening while very disappointing is 100% unsurprising and pretty much inevitable. When you out together a few thousand 18 and 19 year old college freshman its not a matter of if their going to break social distancing and quarantine rules but when. Short of 24 hour surveillance this kind of stuff is again inevitable.

Yeah, but not on the Quad, where there actually is 24 hour surveillance. As predicted, DPS is useless.

This is a major embarrassment. Syverud needs to come down on these kids. Lock down Flint and Day and make them all get tested. They all signed the stay safe pledge. It's not fair to all the kids who have done the right thing, who paid to stay in a hotel for the last two weeks, got tested on their own dime in order to return to SU. I'm pissed off by this reckless disregard for the SU community.
I wouldn't want to be in the Chancellor's shoes this morning. There is a lot riding on his response to this.

Agreed, this should be simple. Anybody whose face is identified on the video can't go to school in 2020-2021, if SU wants the rules to be taken seriously.

I blame the adults. They chose this.

We call them "kids" for a reason.