g-mac lights it up in 2006 big east | Syracusefan.com

g-mac lights it up in 2006 big east

Gerry wasn't the most athletically gifted, or the quickest, or have the best hops, but for all the things he wasn't he had something which more than offset the deficiencies in the qualities commonly associated with great college players. The thing that Gerry MacNamara had in abundance was heart. His heart, grit and determination to win was of epic proportions. There were many games where Gerry just willed the team to win. Watching this video brings back a flood of memories of the kid from Scranton who was the most incredible player I have ever seen play wearing Orange. Gerry was a winner and a leader by example. He played hurt, he never wanted to come out, even when he was gassed. When the Cuse was down he would put the team on his back and many times against overwhelming odds he snatched victory from what seemed like certain defeat.

There were always GMAC detractors and some even frequented the precursor to this forum. I pity the people who could not and cannot see the good through all of the nit-picking minutiae and recognize when they are witnessing something special because they are too busy finding fault. Perhaps just as impressive as his play was Gerry's blue collar ethic and humble demeanor. The entire city of Scranton looked at him as the incarnate embodiment of the city itself and they traveled in busloads to watch their favorite son play while pouring out his soul, sweat and magic on the hardwood of the Dome. Even when Gerry was having an off game, usually because he was being double teamed, box and oned , unmercifully pushed, elbowed, bumped, tripped and slapped while listening to the hecklers from the opposing team, you still knew he wanted to have the ball in his hands at crunch time and even if he was oh for a bunch you knew that Gerry thought that next one was going to find the bottom of the net. And more often than not, it did.

I still contend that had Gerry not been plagued by a chronic hip problem and had been afforded the opportunity to play in the League, he could have carved out a spot for himself and added value to any teams roster. In addition to being driven and fearless, Gerry always demonstrated that he was also a smart player. Whether that smarts translates into being able to coach at the collegiate level can be debated but GMac strikes me as being likely to succeed in anything he would set his sights on . I'd love to see him continue to posture himself to be afforded the opportunity to have a go at a head coaching position. I feel certain that were he to infuse his team with any portion of the burning passion he demonstrated every time he laced them up, his team would be a formidable adversary which made the most of it's assets to the extent that it would overshadow it's liabilities and win or lose, they would leave it all out there on the court. After all, that's what Gmac did every time he ever stepped onto a basketball court. At least that's the way I saw it and I doubt that I'm alone . You never know what the future holds in store. It was over 3 decades ago that a skinny, spectacled kid from Lyons was given a shot to take over the helm for the Orangemen. What's to say that a gritty kid from Scranton won't similarly carve out a legacy for himself some place. You never know it might even be in the same place as that skinny guy with the glasses.

I never understood the bashing of gerry, then again, some of r fan base are pathetic

Gerry was what college basketball is supposed to be all about. True dedication and heart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom