Class of 2023 - G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducharme averaged 17 and 4 on 49% shooting and 88% from the foul line this weekend as his AAU team. I don’t care where this kid is ranked now. I think he’s a legit top 50 player based on how he played this past weekend.

Last edited:
Reid will be top 50 before he hits college.. great shooter and great size for a guard. Jp also will see a big rise in rankings. Crazy how good the staff is at finding players. First offer for GG Jackson who is now considered the best player in the class by some and JP who is blowing up like crazy after finally being able to be seen.
First offer and finding kids is great… how about being “crazy good” at reeling in better players? GG Jackson ain’t coming, and neither is JP Estrella.

How similar is this kid to Justin Taylor?
Ducharme is more fluid with the ball in his hands and has more upside. He has a knack of getting to the line. Taylor is more of a catch and shoot or straight line drive player, but much more physically strong. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ducharme to grow more, but he’s built a bit like Marek.

Reid is a Top 50 player in this class. He’s pretty much a strictly 2 guard but he can handle the rock in a pinch. He’s very athletic compared to a Buddy or Justin and Justin is very athletic compared to a buddy lol. Justin is more of a 2/3 so realistically they both could play on the floor together. You would just have Reid at the 2 and Justin at the 3. That would be some good shooting.

I’m also getting the feeling this staff is all in on developing players and program guys now. We are all in on the Nova and Virginia route. This last class we have probably one guy in Mintz that could potentially leave before year 3 for the NBA. All the rest are 3-4 year guys if they stay with Cuse the whole time. If we end up with Reid and JP both of these guys are 3-4 year guys as well.

To me a perfect class would consist of 1-2 studs (probably leave before year 3 for the NBA), 1-2 develop guys that’s stick around the program and are solid contributors by year 3 per class. So if you take a 4 man class, 2 studs and 2 develop guys that help the programs culture and continuity. Then fill in the holes with any transfers that you see fit to help the team. They don’t need to be stud transfers but whatever the team lacks or is deficient in take a transfer. This is JBs biggest flaw we have all these avenues to build a roster but he is so stubborn in his ways compared to other coaches that are turning over every rock, whether it’s high school, transfer portal, grad transfers, international guys…don’t get me wrong JB has done it to an extent but not to the extent he needs to be and compared to his peer coaches.

I’m also getting the feeling this staff is all in on developing players and program guys now. We are all in on the Nova and Virginia route. This last class we have probably one guy in Mintz that could potentially leave before year 3 for the NBA. All the rest are 3-4 year guys if they stay with Cuse the whole time. If we end up with Reid and JP both of these guys are 3-4 year guys as well.

To me a perfect class would consist of 1-2 studs (probably leave before year 3 for the NBA), 1-2 develop guys that’s stick around the program and are solid contributors by year 3 per class. So if you take a 4 man class, 2 studs and 2 develop guys that help the programs culture and continuity. Then fill in the holes with any transfers that you see fit to help the team. They don’t need to be stud transfers but whatever the team lacks or is deficient in take a transfer. This is JBs biggest flaw we have all these avenues to build a roster but he is so stubborn in his ways compared to other coaches that are turning over every rock, whether it’s high school, transfer portal, grad transfers, international guys…don’t get me wrong JB has done it to an extent but not to the extent he needs to be and compared to his peer coaches.
This makes sense why JB loves this class so much. They’re all program 3-year guys (except Judah)

Ducharme averaged 17 and 4 on 49% shooting and 88% from the foul line this weekend as his AAU team won all 3 games. I don’t care where this kid is ranked now. I think he’s a legit top 50 player based on how he played this past weekend.
Sounds like Buddy’s EYBL numbers and he wasn’t ranked in the top 150 during his prep school year at Brewster.

Question for the board: both seem like great shooters, but what does Ducharme do differently than Buddy at their similar stages to warrant vastly different rankings?

Sounds like Buddy’s EYBL numbers and he wasn’t ranked in the top 150 during his prep school year at Brewster. Question for the board: both seem like great shooters, but what does the Ducharme do differently than Buddy at their similar stages to warrant vastly different rankings?
Buddy was a catch and shoot player at this point of his career. This kid is doing tomahawks and taking kids off the bounce. 80% of this kids points are coming from 2 or the foul line. They aren't even close to being the same player. Ducharme has a lot more room to grow than Buddy ever did.

Last edited:
Although we think of Buddy, his play style is much more similar to that of Christian Braun from Kansas. Above average bounce, a solid perimeter game, and does well to get to the rim.

Think of how one-dimensional Buddy was even his freshman year. Ducharme's potential exceeds that.

I hear what you're saying and understand the thought - I think the Virginia & Villanova blueprint was our blueprint from 2009-14. And it worked at the highest of levels.

However, even with that model you still need to recruit well. Top 50-75 kids, with a sprinkle of Top 25's and/or high-impact transfers.

UVA has had 9 recruits over the last 4 years (including 2022) I would classify as expected high impact - Top 70 or high-level transfers. 3 kids in the top 70 for the 2022 class. Two high-level transfers in 2021. Two top 70 kids in 2020. Two top 70 kids in 2019.

Villanova has had 8 recruits over the last 4 years (including 2022) I would classify as expected high impact - Top 70 or high-level transfers. 2 kids in top 70 for the 2022 class. One top 70 kid in 2021. One top 70 kid in 2020. Four top 70 kids in 2019.

Syracuse has had 3 recruits over the last 4 years (including 2022) I would classify as expected high impact - Top 70 or high-level transfers. 1 kid (Mintz) in top 65 for the 2022 class. 1 high level transfer and 1 top 70 kid in 2021. Zero top 70 kids in 2020. Zero top 70 kids in 2019.

And before people get all bent out of shape and say "well Jesse Edwards developed, Kadary Richmond was solid, blah blah", yes - kids can outperform their ranking. But look at the 2019 Villanova class - those 4 top 70 kids were Eric Dixon, Justin Moore, Jeremiah Robinson-Early, and Brian Antoine. One left early for the NBA after a legit season and two were starters on a Final Four team. Antoine is the only one who hasn't made a huge impact.

So yes - in theory, what Syracuse is trying to do is get back to what they think works for them. However, they still are recruiting at an extremely low level compared to those "program" schools. And that isn't even factoring in the other schools who are getting the one-and-done group.

Buddy was a catch and shoot player at this point of his career. This kid is doing tomahawks and taking kids off the bounce. 80% of this kids points are coming from 2 or the foul line. They aren't even close to being the same player. Ducharme has a lot more room to grow than Buddy ever did.
Hope can get him

If you'd like to watch a full game of Reid, it starts 1:39:46 into this video (yes, that's almost 2 hours in; highly recommend skipping ahead lol).

Great find. You beat me to it.

If you'd like to watch a full game of Reid, it starts 1:39:46 into this video (yes, that's almost 2 hours in; highly recommend skipping ahead lol).

Finished watching this game. The first half was back and forth but the game kinda slipped away from BABC (Reid's team) in the 2nd half before they made a late comeback to make things kinda interesting again. I think it's been reported on Twitter that Reid finished with 25 points...I have him down for 27 personally and I'm pretty sure I didn't give him any points that didn't belong to him so -shrugs-. My unofficial stats for him are:
  • 27 points on 10/12 2 point shooting, 0/5 3 point shooting, and 7/8 from the FT line for a TS% of 65.8%.
  • 5 rebounds (maybe one contested rebound but still, with the amount he leaks out to start the fast break this is something)
  • 2 assists to 3 turnovers
  • 0 steals or blocks
BABC pretty much exclusively played a 2-3 zone. Reid started out at the back line of it but eventually moved up to the top. I wouldn't say he's super active in the zone; he'd probably have fit in with this year's Syracuse team. But he at least is getting experience playing it; that counts for something.

He's listed at 6'4" on 24/7; I'll assume they're correct. He's a skinny dude with narrow shoulders and what looks to me to be a relatively short wingspan for his height; I wouldn't expect him to ever be a brick house but hopefully he can get a little bit stronger.

He's a pretty basic ball-handler; mostly lives off straight-line drives or just using a ball screen and pulling up. He seems to have a pretty good first step though/he does a nice job of attacking closeouts. Pretty solid leaper too. He could lead the team in "sneaky athletic" shoutouts from commentators if he comes to Syracuse.

As mentioned before, he finished with 27 points by my count on efficient shooting. That included 8/9 on layups/dunks/floaters and 2/3 on mid-range pull-ups. Some of those layups/dunks were just him getting uncontested finishes out of the fast break, but he had a fair number of contested layups too and showed an ability to use his body to protect his shot in decently creative ways. Also as mentioned before, 0/5 from 3 (including one heave to beat the shot clock). If I were to critique his shooting, he rotates his lower body more than you'd ideally like and jumps forward more than you'd like as well. It might be something his future coaches try to tweak, but it could also potentially be weaponized as a way to draw fouls on jumpshots; the way he jumps forward should theoretically lead to a lot of those dangerous landing spot fouls that turn into flagrant fouls in the NBA (can't remember if there's a similar rule in place in college).

All in all, pretty promising stuff here; probably above average athletically and seems pretty smart in how he attacks the defense despite relatively basic ball-handling skills. He looks as promising as any of our non-Mintz recruits in our upcoming class IMO.

Finished watching this game. The first half was back and forth but the game kinda slipped away from BABC (Reid's team) in the 2nd half before they made a late comeback to make things kinda interesting again. I think it's been reported on Twitter that Reid finished with 25 points...I have him down for 27 personally and I'm pretty sure I didn't give him any points that didn't belong to him so -shrugs-. My unofficial stats for him are:
  • 27 points on 10/12 2 point shooting, 0/5 3 point shooting, and 7/8 from the FT line for a TS% of 65.8%.
  • 5 rebounds (maybe one contested rebound but still, with the amount he leaks out to start the fast break this is something)
  • 0 steals or blocks
BABC pretty much exclusively played a 2-3 zone. Reid started out at the back line of it but eventually moved up to the top. I wouldn't say he's super active in the zone; he'd probably have fit in with this year's Syracuse team. But he at least is getting experience playing it; that counts for something.

He's listed at 6'4" on 24/7; I'll assume they're correct. He's a skinny dude with narrow shoulders and what looks to me to be a relatively short wingspan for his height; I wouldn't expect him to ever be a brick house but hopefully he can get a little bit stronger.

He's a pretty basic ball-handler; mostly lives off straight-line drives or just using a ball screen and pulling up. He seems to have a pretty good first step though/he does a nice job of attacking closeouts. Pretty solid leaper too. He could lead the team in "sneaky athletic" shoutouts from commentators if he comes to Syracuse.

As mentioned before, he finished with 27 points by my count on efficient shooting. That included 8/9 on layups/dunks/floaters and 2/3 on mid-range pull-ups. Some of those layups/dunks were just him getting uncontested finishes out of the fast break, but he had a fair number of contested layups too and showed an ability to use his body to protect his shot in decently creative ways. Also as mentioned before, 0/5 from 3 (including one heave to beat the shot clock). If I were to critique his shooting, he rotates his lower body more than you'd ideally like and jumps forward more than you'd like as well. It might be something his future coaches try to tweak, but it could also potentially be weaponized as a way to draw fouls on jumpshots; the way he jumps forward should theoretically lead to a lot of those dangerous landing spot fouls that turn into flagrant fouls in the NBA (can't remember if there's a similar rule in place in college).

All in all, pretty promising stuff here; probably above average athletically and seems pretty smart in how he attacks the defense despite relatively basic ball-handling skills. He looks as promising as any of our non-Mintz recruits in our upcoming class IMO.
Who cares? Where is he ranked? /s

Just kidding. Terrific analysis!

• 0 steals or blocks

Surprised he missed all his 3’s. I haven’t watched the game you linked yet but having watched his other videos I viewed, 3 pt shooting appeared to me to be a strength. Happens even to the best.

Another full game 6:17:37 into this video:

Just watched this one as well and that will do it for me today lol.

This game was against DJ Wagner's team and it was pretty much a rout from the opening tip. My unofficial numbers for Reid are:
  • 12 points on 2/8 2 point shooting, 1/5 3 point shooting, and 5/6 FT shooting for a TS% of 38.4%.
  • 3 rebounds
  • 1 assist to 1 turnover
  • 2 steals, 0 blocks
I think my scouting report from the first game still basically holds up; if the straight-line drive isn't there/he doesn't have a ball screen to work off of, he generally struggles to create anything but he was still able to get a fair number of good looks. He just wasn't really making anything in this one.

Another game of exclusively zone defense, though there was a lot of 1-2-2 zone here instead of the 2-3 and he played on the middle line of the 1-2-2.

First offer and finding kids is great… how about being “crazy good” at reeling in better players? GG Jackson ain’t coming, and neither is JP Estrella.
What makes you think we're not getting Estrella?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom