Class of 2023 - G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone believe that the only remaining reason that Jim is staying around is get his 1000 victory (again)?

If the NCAA had not taken the 101 wins away from him, I believe that he would had retire 5 years ago even before Buddy was offered a scholarship.
I still think he’d want to coach his sons but I agree the only reason he is coaching at this point is for 1,000. I think he always wanted to coach his sons, so even if the NCAA never took his wins away I think he would have retired this last off season once his sons graduated. Now that he’s a few wins away he wants 1,000 again. He’ll say otherwise but let’s not be dumb here…it means something to him, it would mean something to anyone in his position and it’s basically an FU to the NCAA…you take my wins away and I’ll just get to 1,000 for a second time. Typical JB fashion lmao

Recruits and parents absolutely read this board

As well as people within the athletic department

Just as an fyi
I’m sure they do read it, but that doesn’t mean they care about what is said. If they did these kids wouldn’t go anywhere because every fan board plays host to the some of most pessimistic people in each fanbase.

Recruits and parents absolutely read this board

As well as people within the athletic department

Just as an fyi
And???? If those people are taking what is average joes have to say….then that’s an issue in and of itself.

And???? If those people are taking what is average joes have to say….then that’s an issue in and of itself.

I’m not saying it’s a thing

I’m just saying, he said that none of them read it

Here's what it comes down to with me [and a massive, massive shoutout to OrangeFog for having this conversation with me offline]:
  • if JB is going to hang on because he doesn't want to stop being a head coach, then DO THE JOB.
  • But if you aren't willing or capable of grinding and doing what it takes to recruit at the P5 level, then step aside, because you're just holding the program hostage and making the lengthy trend of decline worse.
I'm 100% certain that the viewpoint expressed above will be offensive to those who can't tolerate ny criticism about JB.
There are a couple of issues: some people believe he has earned the RIGHT to stay as long as he wants. IMO, he lost that due to the NCAA violations and his performance. However, a messy break up (forced resignation) can hurt us with future recruits and coaches (look what they did to Boeheim. Do you really want to go there?)
Ideally, SU would have someone other than Wildhack make that call. He can then be the white knight saving the program.

Jim's future has already been decided. His retirement has already been scheduled.

And Wildhack knows the schedule.

The rest of us will find out soon enough.
Do the kids we are recruiting know it?

Maybe JB wasn't able to tell these kids that he would be here to coach them and that is the reason they aren't coming. Maybe Red or Mac isn't the next coach, and the kids don't want to commit to a school without one. Who knows but Jims's future needs to be decided soon one way or the other.
Yeah. Frankly that is one of my biggest concerns. If there is any pause for a recruit because of the coaching situation and they are not giving assurances along the lines of…..”If Coach Boeheim decides to retire, Coach X is taking over“, it is creating a vacuum and leading to many opportunities for negative recruiting or recruit hesitancy.

No matter what you thought of Hop as a head coaching candidate when he was here, a succession plan with him involved gave two major positives. He was an SU alum and a known commodity in recruiting. That would have, at least, helped our situations with recruits and would have given a fighting chance to see how successful he was once taking over.

One of my other big concerns is the general lack of “buzz” in the community about the program. This program has too many advantages and too many great fans to become an afterthought. The good thing in hoops is a couple of good players or recruits who shine can change the whole perception.

SUOrange44

There are a couple of issues: some people believe he has earned the RIGHT to stay as long as he wants. IMO, he lost that due to the NCAA violations and his performance. However, a messy break up (forced resignation) can hurt us with future recruits and coaches (look what they did to Boeheim. Do you really want to go there?)
Ideally, SU would have someone other than Wildhack make that call. He can then be the white knight saving the program.

It's a performance driven profession. If we were still winning 22+ games per year and cruising into the NCAA tournament, then him "earning" that right would be warranted / justified.

But we're not, and over the last 8 years the program has gone from winning an average of 74% of our games for the first 3.5 decades of JB's career to winning 59% of our games and white knuckling NCAA bids. We've also had something like 3 losing conference records in that span, and only finished in the top 5 of the league once -- our first year.

Saying goodbye to an icon is never easy, but it doesn't have to be this messy. There was a succession plan in place, but JB chose to disregard it so that he could coach his kids. And the results have unfolded unfavorably for the program -- so his "right" to having full autonomy about his departure has eroded. The decline needs to be addressed, because our program being awful is one of the two two factors hurting us with recruits [the other being JB treating his responsibilities like they are a part-time job].

Last edited:
Nobody gave Baylor a second thought a decade ago, then they got a good coach. Xavier has one of the most successful coaches in recent history now at the helm, why is it surprising that a mid 150 kid might want to play for him? In 4 years they might be getting top 2 seeds, times change.
Scott Drew has been the Baylor coach for TWO decades now, fyi.

Last edited:
Come on, no coach is going to say look what they did to Boeheim.

Guys, this is an age-old story:
“HC wins. Establishes a legacy. Overstays his welcome. Erodes his legacy”.
We’re not the first nor will we be the last program where this happens.
If it comes down to getting pushed out for the good of the program, then Wildhack has to have the gumption to follow through.
This year is pivotal. Anything less than a clear tourney invite, followed by a S16 run, is not enough to contemplate another year. He’s 80 years old, for Pete’s sake. Enough!

Scott Drew has been the Baylor coach for TWO decades now, fyi.
His point still Stands though. Baylor hadn’t been to the tournament in over TWO decades until Scott Drew got there. It took him 4 years to get them to be a tournament team every year, took him 10 years to get them to become an annual top 25 team.

The Chancellor already did make the call and JB hated it which is why he pulled what he did when Hop was supposed to take over. It's simple pull the band aid off and tell him coach you can either make the call on your terms or we will simply announce that we are not renewing your contract after this season.

Okay, we lose out a lot on recruits. Last year, Dior Johnson and Kamari Lands committed and then changed their minds. The world was coming to an end. We end up with JT, Quadir, Chris, Maliq, Peter and Judah. They want to play here.

if we lose Reid and JP (among others), maybe we can still get recruits that want to play here.

That's not the point. People in the know have questioned Boeheim's commitment on the trail for the past few years, and it's getting worse. If you don't think our recruiting, talent and results have been a problem you haven't been paying attention, and that rests with JB.

whats kind of scary/sad in the same part that no one has mentioned...

All of the games the coaches watched (including JB)...all the recruits they went to every AAU game for...are all gone/wont come here. It was like the effort they did try to do in the summer time is all a waste. I honestly can't remember the last time this has happened where we watched all of the games/majority of games for X amount of recruits in the summer and we don't land any of them.

They did when Paul was fired the way he was fired.
In retrospect, and in hindsight, firing Pasqualoni was a mistake- and count me in as one who was all for it at the time. It was hubris by our AD & many of our fans. We’ve been paying for it for 20+ years.
That being said, this school has bent over backwards to accommodate JB. The longer this goes on, the worse it’ll likely be.
I’m not an ageist, by any means, but I’ll repeat….our HC is approaching 80 YEARS OLD! It’s been time for a change. JMHO

His point still Stands though. Baylor hadn’t been to the tournament in over TWO decades until Scott Drew got there. It took him 4 years to get them to be a tournament team every year, took him 10 years to get them to become an annual top 25 team.
And keep in mind what Scott Drew inherited when he took over at Baylor. A bare cupboard following a major scandal. Whoever takes over at SU should be in much better shape to succeed than Drew initially was at Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom