Game 1 Depth Chart for UNC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart for UNC

So we are going to occasionally rule Elmore eligible and give him handoffs right? Maybe we can get him some snaps too. I mean as QB.

My heart says yes this looks good. My head says after looking at this roster i see what the majority of coaches and writers see. I see 6-8 top end players , some good players and a lot of misses on the recruiting trail. Now obviously i can only judge this on the players ive seen so who knows about Freshman. Obviously we dont know the full affect of coaching and philosophy changes yet either. Also games are played on the field in the year they are played not last year so maybe my eyes are blinded by last year.

Here is what my head and eyes tell me

Jordan is an explosive back who will wind up like Saquon Barkley last year with the Giants offensive offensive line most likely with a bunch of big plays but far more hit behind the line before he can get started and probab ly hurt.

I see a potential for explosive passing game with a record breaking QB who will look ordinary in most parts of the game they play in due to other factors beyond there control like line play

In all levels of football the games is the same, blocking and tacking are the key. I see lots of recruiting misses on the OL and DL. I see top teams not even using there whole playbook against us because they will bulldoze our OL and steamroll our DL. Both lines lack size and depth a bad combination in this day and age.

Like i say games are played by players this year so maybe things have changed but I dont see it and maybe I am way wrong and I will have some good egg on my face but I just dont see it.

Yeah, the dline recruiting this cycle looks nice on paper, but it is still lacking the 330 lb NT which is needed to run a 3-3-5 or traditional 3-4 defense.

That guy in the middle has to be big enough to occupy 2 olinemen.

Now for the oline, there is still some hope regarding guys getting back from injury and bleich.

Bc there are zero guards at the d1 level that are 6'0". That's d3 height. That said, this kid can do anything and most likely be serviceable at least. Routing for him.
and also that he has not played Oline at all since he has been at Syracuse, now he is not just going to change positions but be a starter in the ACC?

The oline recruiting misses in Dino first 2 recruiting cycles (Tyronne Sampson) or guys who cant develop (Q White) and guys who have been medically disqualified(Gabe Horan, and others) really shows now

That kid will be 22 years old in October & played last year at an American JC. 265 lb is very light (obvious), but apparently the coaches like him better than other candidates at the tackle spot. Being heavy (White) is no guarantee.
Watch Petry’s film from last year. Obviously, not playing against Power 5 competition. Actually, looks like poor competition. But what stood out to me is Petry’s nastiness, effort, commitment to finish ever block. He’s feisty and determined. Not saying that will translate into being an effective player this season. But in spots, he could could help, and maybe more than that.

Yeah, the dline recruiting this cycle looks nice on paper, but it is still lacking the 330 lb NT which is needed to run a 3-3-5 or traditional 3-4 defense.

That guy in the middle has to be big enough to occupy 2 olinemen.

Now for the oline, there is still some hope regarding guys getting back from injury and bleich.
2 Offensive lineman can be occupied by things other than size. Like strength and speed...just ask Freeney and Aaron Donald and several others.

and also that he has not played Oline at all since he has been at Syracuse, now he is not just going to change positions but be a starter in the ACC?

The oline recruiting misses in Dino first 2 recruiting cycles (Tyronne Sampson) or guys who cant develop (Q White) and guys who have been medically disqualified(Gabe Horan, and others) really shows now

Right on, yes, there are injuries, but to be this thin has to call out the recruiting.

There is like 0% accuracy in your post.

I sure hope our line does better than Navy's against BYU. It can't be much worse.

All this worry about OL, people should just relax. This is the same staff that gave us all the great history making numbers with the OL last year.

My heart says yes this looks good. My head says after looking at this roster i see what the majority of coaches and writers see. I see 6-8 top end players , some good players and a lot of misses on the recruiting trail. Now obviously i can only judge this on the players ive seen so who knows about Freshman. Obviously we dont know the full affect of coaching and philosophy changes yet either. Also games are played on the field in the year they are played not last year so maybe my eyes are blinded by last year.

Here is what my head and eyes tell me

Jordan is an explosive back who will wind up like Saquon Barkley last year with the Giants offensive offensive line most likely with a bunch of big plays but far more hit behind the line before he can get started and probab ly hurt.

I see a potential for explosive passing game with a record breaking QB who will look ordinary in most parts of the game they play in due to other factors beyond there control like line play

In all levels of football the games is the same, blocking and tacking are the key. I see lots of recruiting misses on the OL and DL. I see top teams not even using there whole playbook against us because they will bulldoze our OL and steamroll our DL. Both lines lack size and depth a bad combination in this day and age.

Like i say games are played by players this year so maybe things have changed but I dont see it and maybe I am way wrong and I will have some good egg on my face but I just dont see it.
All this worry about OL, people should just relax. This is the same staff that gave us all the great history making numbers with the OL last year.
huh ?

This might be a silly question but can Elmore line up at OG wearing #5 I have never seen an OL with that number other than in the 70’s with Jim Otto #00 at center for the Raiders I know there are DL with single digits but I have never seen it on the OL although I’m sure it has probably happened at the high school level anyone with any insight?

I'm really disappointes that White couldn't beat out Elmore for a guard spot. The getting in shape stuff is old. This is year 3 in the program. Weight and conditioning should not be an issue at this point.

seriously with all those offers and all that potential how is he not playing in year 3?

Just got done watching dinos presser, it b hilarious if this depth chart leaked and howard and adams were actually playing Saturday. I known its most likely not true but would be one of the greatest head fakes of all time

Haven’t really let myself get too invested in Syracuse Football after last years debacle... Figured I’d mosey on over and check out this depth chart thread...

F50338C1-9A42-4091-B718-E945E03D81A7.gif

Bc there are zero guards at the d1 level that are 6'0". That's d3 height. That said, this kid can do anything and most likely be serviceable at least. Routing for him.

There probably are they just list them at 6-2. Elmore came in as an RB so there is no reason to toss an extra inch or two on his card. Hes not a 5-9/5-10 guy listed as 6' either.

As a side note, the 10 sacks in the scrimmage has some more context now.
I agree. Comes down to play calling. Last year's play-calling with this group would be a problem, stubborness throwing downfield and not doing anything to stop the rush besides running up the gut for a yard or two and getting behind the chains.

Servais is an anchor, Bergeron has a year of experience w/ significant upside, Tisdale is the road grader at 342 pounds you typically see in Babers offense to clear a path. Elmore being the other G could lead to some intriguing screen situations to get Jordan in space that P. Davis may not offer. And Vet is agile as well.

Let's see what the offense tries to do against UNC and if Gilbert tries to get Cuse to play to its strengths (Jordan in space, using the entire field) instead of forcing things downfield or putting Tommy in terrible situations.

Pumped for Saturday!
Elmore could be also playing d-line by end of season also

Gordie freakin Lockbaum!

The good news is that Vegas only projects us as a 21 point underdog even with that oline

well that was a tough initial depth chart to review. Uhhhhh I guess the line can’t be worse then last years? Right...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom