Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Colgate

If this roster is as deep and talented as some of you suggest, then 8 wins has to be the expectation (unless we suffer a rash of catastrophic injuries).

I can’t square the “best roster in years” talk with “just make a bowl” talk.

We have to take advantage of the light schedules in 2023 and 2024.

Then in 2025, just have some fun going to all the venues with a team that's hopefully coming off a 7 win, 8 win and 9 win season.

Then in 2025, just have some fun going to all the venues with a team that's hopefully coming off a 7 win, 8 win and 9 win season.
Agree.

I'll add, eeking out 6 wins and making a bowl is practically worthless. The vaunted "extra practices" never amounts to much of anything. The players can just workout for those 2 weeks. Plus, all the good players opt-out of the game itself.

We gotta stop setting the expectation as "just make a bowl". We just cleared that hurdle, Dino needs to do more now.

We also need to capitalize on having an experienced QB who is a difference maker.

Get to bowl eligibility earlier in the season. Get an extra win [or two] by being more competitive against peer programs. Hopefully get an extra win [or two] by being more competitive in November, instead of being decimated by injuries.

8 wins feels right to me for this season, but wouldn't be surprised if they eke out 9.

Wouldn't be happy with 6.

But bowl eligibility is important for perception reasons. There really isn't that much qualitative difference in the type of bowl you make when you get 6, 7 or 8 wins -- the bowls make their selections for reasons that extend beyond just on merit, anyway.

We also need to capitalize on having an experienced QB who is a difference maker.

Get to bowl eligibility earlier in the season. Get an extra win [or two] by being more competitive against peer programs. Hopefully get an extra win [or two] by being more competitive in November, instead of being decimated by injuries.

8 wins feels right to me for this season, but wouldn't be surprised if they eke out 9.

Wouldn't be happy with 6.

But bowl eligibility is important for perception reasons. There really isn't that much qualitative difference in the type of bowl you make when you get 6, 7 or 8 wins -- the bowls make their selections for reasons that extend beyond just on merit, anyway.
I agree with almost all of this post, but as to the bolded, is it important? Can we name all the teams that eeked their way into a bowl last year with 6 wins?

I mean, obviously I'd rather have 6 wins than 5! But given the state of CFB, I'm thinking that the perception thing kinda ends with being in the top 25. If you're not in that conversation, I'm not sure how critical it is to merely be playing in the Bahamas on December 18th.

Anyway, my digression on this point is clearly overdone. Just trying to get on the record now that -- absent some pretty serious mitigating circumstances -- I don't want to read a lot of rationalizing 6 wins come late November.

I agree with almost all of this post, but as to the bolded, is it important? Can we name all the teams that eeked their way into a bowl last year with 6 wins?

I mean, obviously I'd rather have 6 wins than 5! But given the state of CFB, I'm thinking that the perception thing kinda ends with being in the top 25. If you're not in that conversation, I'm not sure how critical it is to merely be playing in the Bahamas on December 18th.

Anyway, my digression on this point is clearly overdone. Just trying to get on the record now that -- absent some pretty serious mitigating circumstances -- I don't want to read a lot of rationalizing 6 wins come late November.

Yes, I absolutely think it's important -- for recruiting purposes. And to have Syracuse continue to be viewed as an attractive portal transfer option.

There's a big difference between trying to sell transfers on "we're this close" compared to "we're going to bowls and posting winning records, come be a part of this."

We already see for the class of 2024 a higher rated class relatively speaking, due to the coaches being able to sell something positive on the recruiting trail. We haven't gone to consecutive bowls in a LONG time -- so at the macro level, doing so establishes an important trend.

I'm not talking about the micro of minimum bowl eligibility, for this team / with this group of personnel. And I'm not moving the goal posts down to 6 wins, so please don't attribute that sentiment to me. If we only get to 6, I'll be disappointed -- and I think it would be indicative [with the roster we have] of catastrophic injuries, because depth is really, really good at most positional units.

If we only get to 6, then I'll be right there with you on Dino. But I'm NOT there -- and I think that the stars are aligning for this to be a pretty damn good season.

And if it is, then hopefully you and others will be less skeptical about the team's chances for being competitive next year and in the future -- which looks bright to me, with the foundation that's been established. And getting back-2-back bowls is another step along that path.

Agree.

I'll add, eeking out 6 wins and making a bowl is practically worthless. The vaunted "extra practices" never amounts to much of anything. The players can just workout for those 2 weeks. Plus, all the good players opt-out of the game itself.

We gotta stop setting the expectation as "just make a bowl". We just cleared that hurdle, Dino needs to do more now.
Well in fairness to my perspective, it's not so much "just make a bowl" as it is "just go to a bowl two years in a row" which no HC has done since (checks notes) Paul Bartholomew Pasqualoni.

So... yeah.

Donovan Brown looks like he has nice hands and is obviously quick. Once he gets to the 190-200lbs range he's really going to take off.

Well in fairness to my perspective, it's not so much "just make a bowl" as it is "just go to a bowl two years in a row" which no HC has done since (checks notes) Paul Bartholomew Pasqualoni.

So... yeah.

If your notes are correct, no head coach has taken SU to two consecutive bowls this century. Do I have that right?

And the only time this century we went to consecutive bowls was 2012-2013 Marrone-Shafer (thank you final play of BC game).

It's amazing we still have fans.

I am not thanking the portal yet. We lost three defensive starters with NFL potential. Glad More and Walabaugh are here to solidify the offensive line though.

I don't mean this as some snarky thing...legit question

Moore (the Center) came from a JUCO right? Like he could have transferred to Syracuse at any point in the past as well, right?

Moore (the Center) came from a JUCO right? Like he could have transferred to Syracuse at any point in the past as well, right?
Reed?

And not necessarily - the JUCO route for some guys means they need to get an Associate's Degree before they can transfer to a 4 year institution.

Moore is from FCS Richmond, he plays guard. The center Reed is Juco though.

If your notes are correct, no head coach has taken SU to two consecutive bowls this century. Do I have that right?

And the only time this century we went to consecutive bowls was 2012-2013 Marrone-Shafer (thank you final play of BC game).

Yep said it before and I will say it again, no one expects SU to compete for national titles but what we have seen the last 20 years is completely and utterly inexcusable. The cheap ass university neglected the program, various ADs made horrible hires. We have played in a conference(Big East) where we controlled 5 of our 12 opponents each year and currently play in a conference where we control 4 of 12. And yet we have only made a bowl 6 times in the last 21 years. BC has made 16(would have been 17 in the Covid year if they could have played). Enough said and hopefully this year starts a nice bowl streak, I like our chances this year for sure!

10,000%. This was the outcome I was hoping for when he signed. Walk in and own that position. Josh is fine to spell a few plays but it the guy you want to have to rely on full time.
Reed got a little help with an Ilaoa injury... Ilaoa spent a little time in a green jersey... gave Reed extra reps with 1s and is probably the healthier of the two... Colgate is a good opportunity to see what he can do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230829-131245_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230829-131245_Chrome.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 59
Agree.

Just me I know but I have a tough time getting my mind around why 6 wins wouldn't be good enough when we have managed to get there 5 times in 18 years. Call me crazy. I get that the fans feel we SHOULD be better but I will take the 6 wins and I think Wildhack will as well.

People can set the bar wherever they want and 6 wins is not great and really mediocre but I find it acceptable. If it wasn't well then I think Dino would have been shown the door after the 2021 season and as far as a bowl game goes they all stink now other than the final four teams and 3-4 other ones

I think 6 but definitely 7 wins gets Dino an extension.

Correct on both counts.

It really is staggering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors