Game 5 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Wagner | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game 5 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Wagner

If you're ejected from the game for targeting and it happens in the second half, the player has to sit out the first half of the next game.

EDIT: The targeting penalty can be appealed and the suspension in the next game can be overturned. It doesn't sound like Dino is thinking about appealing the call, though.

Or it's already been appealed and denied.

OK just watched the highlight above. You are correct. Nice! Didn't notice that. That certainly makes me feel quite a bit better about some secondary depth issues I thought we would have.
I was doubting myself too until I checked the highlights.

emily leiker @emleiker

Notes on the Wk. 5 depth chart: - Darton is No. 1 at DT now with Lockett out

Unsure if Barron still being starting ROV means the team successfully appealed his suspension for targeting. Babers knew ruling before speaking this morning but wanted to tell Barron first.

McDonald and Sparrow listed with an "or" between their names at LB for the first time. Babers did not have an update on the former's injury status this morning.

Carter still listed even though he spent most of Friday's second half on the sideline in street clothes.

25C29582-8CC7-4397-B878-AF5EAFE0C721.jpeg

Am I the only one getting wary that we seem to be totally discounting Wagner, like all we gotta do is walk out there, pick up the W they so generously hand to us, and then on to NC State?
Not saying they could beat us- but assuming it’ll be a cakewalk would be a big mistake, IMO. We don’t need to sleepwalk in this one, make the game much tougher than it should be, play more bodies, and have more angst than we need to have. Just sayin’…. JMHO

Am I the only one getting wary that we seem to be totally discounting Wagner, like all we gotta do is walk out there, pick up the W they so generously hand to us, and then on to NC State?
Not saying they could beat us- but assuming it’ll be a cakewalk would be a big mistake, IMO. We don’t need to sleepwalk in this one, make the game much tougher than it should be, play more bodies, and have more angst than we need to have. Just sayin’…. JMHO
Generally I agree with you

It's just that they are getting whipped by low level FCS teams, that it's easy to gloss over.

Our third string should beat them by four touchdowns.

I just want to point out that Szmyt has “started” (played) in 52 games for SU. If he plays out the year and a bowl game, it will be a total of 61 games. I know that Covid factors in here, but has anyone else at SU ever been close to that?

I wonder if we'll see Hatcher get some run at all - was a pretty promising prospect out of Virginia and a big recruiting win for us. Lord knows with I Johnson out for the season now we could use another rangy WR with speed and length. Would be nice to see him develop as the season progresses.

Been like that since post-UCONN.
I thought there was a typo before that created some confusion as to whether it was Joe or Enrique that was being listed? Maybe I'm mixed up or didn't pay close enough attention. Either way, if true that's impressive and a home run by the staff.

I thought there was a typo before that created some confusion as to whether it was Joe or Enrique that was being listed? Maybe I'm mixed up or didn't pay close enough attention. Either way, if true that's impressive and a home run by the staff.
Think that was my observation, but now they have Joe’s correct height and weight.

If you're ejected from the game for targeting and it happens in the second half, the player has to sit out the first half of the next game.

EDIT: The targeting penalty can be appealed and the suspension in the next game can be overturned. It doesn't sound like Dino is thinking about appealing the call, though.

In the post game radio show, Dino said SU would absolutely appeal the targeting penalty on Barron, so he would be available for entire game against Wagner.

OX might be right that the appeal was already filed and decided on (wow that would be fast work for the NCAA). If Barron is out for the first half, it would make sense that SU still list him as the starter to keep uncertainty for Wagner. Not sure it really matters but there is no doubt we missed Barron a lot when he was out.

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll see Hatcher get some run at all - was a pretty promising prospect out of Virginia and a big recruiting win for us. Lord knows with I Johnson out for the season now we could use another rangy WR with speed and length. Would be nice to see him develop as the season progresses.
Hatcher got some snaps against uva

Hatcher got some snaps against uva
Didn't see him on the field (could have been ST's). And here's a weird contradiction in the SU stats. Hatcher's not in the participation report:
SYR
# Player Pos.
82 Alford,Damien WR
23 Barron,Justin DB
60 Bergeron,Matthew OL
63 Bleich,Christopher OL
1 Carter,Ja'Had DB
0 Chestnut,Duce DB
10 Clark,Alijah DB
7 Cooper,Devaughn WR
57 Davis,Dakota OL
76 Ellis,Kalan OL
19 Gadsden II,Oronde TE
54 Geer,Jatius DL
3 Jones,Mikel LB
90 Lockett,Terry DL
93 Okechukwu,Caleb DL
2 Pena,Trebor WR
6 Shrader,Garrett QB
12 Sparrow,Anwar LB
34 Tucker,Sean RB
52 Vettorello,Carlos OL
2 Wax,Marlowe LB
8 Williams,Garrett DB

But in his individual stats, he's listed as playing in 2 games including Virginia. I'll let OX sort this one out.

2022 Season Statistics​

Participation Statistics​

Hatcher, Umari - Participation Statistics
DateOpponent
09/10/2022UConn
09/23/2022Virginia

Last edited:

I just watched their highlights against Fordham and now watching the highlights from Rutgers game. You have nothing to worry about. They literally look like a high school team, size wise. And their CB's/Safeties constantly got beat by both teams. Fordham's QB went 18-25 for 386 yards. Rutgers, who if you ask their fans would argue they have ZERO passing game, went a combined 15-25 for 257 yards. Shrader should have a field day, and he will be bigger than any player they have on defense.

If we lose or it's close, I don't know what I'll do, but it won't be pretty.

Hm, didn't see him on the field. And he's not in the participation report (which is not infallible):
SYR
# Player Pos.
82 Alford,Damien WR
23 Barron,Justin DB
60 Bergeron,Matthew OL
63 Bleich,Christopher OL
1 Carter,Ja'Had DB
0 Chestnut,Duce DB
10 Clark,Alijah DB
7 Cooper,Devaughn WR
57 Davis,Dakota OL
76 Ellis,Kalan OL
19 Gadsden II,Oronde TE
54 Geer,Jatius DL
3 Jones,Mikel LB
90 Lockett,Terry DL
93 Okechukwu,Caleb DL
2 Pena,Trebor WR
6 Shrader,Garrett QB
12 Sparrow,Anwar LB
34 Tucker,Sean RB
52 Vettorello,Carlos OL
2 Wax,Marlowe LB
8 Williams,Garrett DB

Those are the starters. You have to scroll down farther for the guys who came off the bench

Syracuse

That explains why his individual stats have him participating in the Virginia game. Thanks for the tip .. i wasn't looking far enough down.

Clark did come back late. In fact, I believe he broke up the pass on fourth down that clinched the game.

He was limping some but was still capable of running hard when needed. I am guessing he has a bruise or a sprain. Don't think it is serious.

There was a big drop off in the effectiveness of the defense once Barron was ejected. He is the only guy on the team that get fill that rover role well. Does a nice job in pass defense and run support.

I think SU is protesting the targeting call on him. If they lose it, my understanding is that he has to sit out the first half against Wagner.
personally, why play him. Why play any of the key players. We can't lose Barron especially now that we need him in the box. I hope that Dino doesn't go meat on us and play the starters beyond a series or two

I just watched their highlights against Fordham and now watching the highlights from Rutgers game. You have nothing to worry about. They literally look like a high school team, size wise. And their CB's/Safeties constantly got beat by both teams. Fordham's QB went 18-25 for 386 yards. Rutgers, who if you ask their fans would argue they have ZERO passing game, went a combined 15-25 for 257 yards. Shrader should have a field day, and he will be bigger than any player they have on defense.

If we lose or it's close, I don't know what I'll do, but it won't be pretty.
sit every kid that isn't 1000 percent healthy and isn't on a thin position If Dino gets anyone important hurt during this game its beyond me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom