Game thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game thoughts

Hope we do a better job attacking their zone than we did against Georgetown. Instead of just swinging the ball around the perimeter and looking for gaps to penetrate while the shot clock winds down, I would like to see us get someone like CJ or Southerland in that gap at the foul line and force their defense to react, which in turn will open up some room on the wings.

That guy can shoot from mid range, skip pass somewhere back outside to open shooters, dump the ball down low if the center moves out to defend, etc. On paper, that's a great fit for CJ.
looked like Fab was prepping for that role with all his jump shots vs. the Puppies. It would be great if he can stick a couple more early tonight, because it will take Dieng away from the basket and clear space for cutters . . . Fab has looked like a good passer from there in the past, but he hasn't shown it much this season.

looked like Fab was prepping for that role with all his jump shots vs. the Puppies. It would be great if he can stick a couple more early tonight, because it will take Dieng away from the basket and clear space for cutters . . . Fab has looked like a good passer from there in the past, but he hasn't shown it much this season.

I think CJ got a few good looks against GTown and just missed...all of them (from the elbow if I remember correctly). Would love to see if James can knock those down, but I'll take anyone that can make them.

Well they shoot it .328 from 3. We shoot it .352 from the 3. That should at least tell you sometihing.
in conference play, they are at .343 to SU's .329

defensively, we allow .321 in conference to their .326

I'm most interested in seeing how SU's backcourt deals with the quickness of Louisville's guards and how much Louisville is able to bother SU in setting up its offense. I think most teams SU has played this year have had athletically inferior backcourts, which has forced them to play soft perimeter defense to cut off driving lanes. This is a logical strategy and has forced SU into becoming a jump shooting team in a lot of games. There have been exceptions, such as DePaul, but none of these teams have had the quickness of Louisville.

I think Scoop and Triche can be hurried into mistakes by very quick guards, so I'm eager to see what they do against the Cards. I'm not too worried about fullcourt pressure because Louisville doesn't necessarily look to press 94 feet. I'm more interested in how much they'll harass SU's ball handlers once they cross mid-court. Louisville has really struggled offensively this year and creating some easy buckets off turnovers would obviously help them.

Waiters may end up handling the ball a little more tonight because I don't think Louisville's guards can bother him as much.

I'm most interested in seeing how SU's backcourt deals with the quickness of Louisville's guards and how much Louisville is able to bother SU in setting up its offense. I think most teams SU has played this year have had athletically inferior backcourts, which has forced them to play soft perimeter defense to cut off driving lanes. This is a logical strategy and has forced SU into becoming a jump shooting team in a lot of games. There have been exceptions, such as DePaul, but none of these teams have had the quickness of Louisville.

I think Scoop and Triche can be hurried into mistakes by very quick guards, so I'm eager to see what they do against the Cards. I'm not too worried about fullcourt pressure because Louisville doesn't necessarily look to press 94 feet. I'm more interested in how much they'll harass SU's ball handlers once they cross mid-court. Louisville has really struggled offensively this year and creating some easy buckets off turnovers would obviously help them.

Waiters may end up handling the ball a little more tonight because I don't think Louisville's guards can bother him as much.

Ville's guards dont seem very big to me...just in games I have noticed. team seemed kind of small against Uconn.

Might be a good strategy not to overreact if a guard gets some penetration. Typically they are a little out of control and Fab should be able to be a deterrent. I think if we stay out tight on the kick out passes and rebound well we should be ok. We havent really had a shot blocker of Fab's quality on the backside of the zone in several years. I'm hoping Fab is the difference tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom