Garrett Shrader: A rebel and team mechanic thinks he has the tools to fix Syracuse’s broken offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader: A rebel and team mechanic thinks he has the tools to fix Syracuse’s broken offense

Mink works for the Post-Standard, not Syracuse Athletics. He likely did this interview at the same time he did the flying story in NC.

Any efforts by the Athletics Department to control what Mink asks during that interview or how it is used, is uh, bad form.

Yeah wasn't aiming to criticize at all just a thought.

Mink works for the Post-Standard, not Syracuse Athletics. He likely did this interview at the same time he did the flying story in NC.

Any efforts by the Athletics Department to control what Mink asks during that interview or how it is used, is uh, bad form.

Oh but they do

They very much do

Perhaps justifiably so, but Gilbert is getting scapegoated a whole lot.

The boys have fenced themselves in to putting up or shutting up.
GOOD.

Welcome to Football.

i just benched a few 11 & 12 year olds because they werent getting it done this year despite starting last.

and that was after scrimmages.

tears and emails...whatever, get better.

this is the big time, win or sit and shut up...it should be the norm for them.

Thank you for the link OrangeXtreme Good article. It sounds like GS will make his opinion known.

One of the other side points that were reinforced for me was how conservative DB has become.
I'm curious to see if he is less conservative this year. I think he lacked confidence the last few years. If he feels better about this team, maybe he goes a little more gunslinger.

I'm curious to see if he is less conservative this year. I think he lacked confidence the last few years. If he feels better about this team, maybe he goes a little more gunslinger.
He knew nothing but success as a HC before he got here - granted that was only 4 seasons. I think all the losing got in his head to the point that now he tries too hard "not to lose" rather than take the gunslinger chances he was known for.

What's interesting is that Anae is a risk taker - formations, play calling, personnel usage, new wrinkles, and trick plays. I think we see at least a couple of trick plays Saturday night. In any case, it will give us our first glimpse into who is making the in-game decisions. And...I really hope that Beck is allowed to take over the clock management calls as he did at UVA.

He knew nothing but success as a HC before he got here - granted that was only 4 seasons. I think all the losing got in his head to the point that now he tries too hard "not to lose" rather than take the gunslinger chances he was known for.

What's interesting is that Anae is a risk taker - formations, play calling, personnel usage, new wrinkles, and trick plays. I think we see at least a couple of trick plays Saturday night. In any case, it will give us our first glimpse into who is making the in-game decisions. And...I really hope that Beck is allowed to take over the clock management calls as he did at UVA.

We had several major issues that handcuffed us last year. In no particular order:
  • Play calling
  • Lack of explosive plays [outside of Tucker / Shrader long runs]
  • Two minute drills
  • Special teams

Anae takes care of bullets #1 and #2. Beck has a proven track record with #3. And our former NFL special teams coach will address bullet #4.

Collectively, they will help address what were revealed to be Dino's blind spots last year.

GOOD.

Welcome to Football.

i just benched a few 11 & 12 year olds because they werent getting it done this year despite starting last.

and that was after scrimmages.

tears and emails...whatever, get better.

this is the big time, win or sit and shut up...it should be the norm for them.

Thank you Coach Casey Smith.

#beElite

I thought Gilbert would be a competent OC and I was wrong. He was beyond bad. A person could write for days how bad he was but him never going back to things that worked or the inane down and distant calls stick out to me as well as his failure to get plays in. He was just like Mcfukit.

You assume with Anea’s experience he knows how to call a game and will stick with things that work and run plays that take advantage of the defense. Just be consistent and run the plays that fit the personal and what the defense is giving you.

Yeah, Anae might swing the pendulum the other way.

We had several major issues that handcuffed us last year. In no particular order:
  • Play calling
  • Lack of explosive plays [outside of Tucker / Shrader long runs]
  • Two minute drills
  • Special teams

Anae takes care of bullets #1 and #2. Beck has a proven track record with #3. And our former NFL special teams coach will address bullet #4.

Collectively, they will help address what were revealed to be Dino's blind spots last year.
As you know from our previous conversations, there was a lot of internal strife within the staff that was not centered around just play calling. Dino took corrective action. Now he needs to let Anae, Beck, and White do their thing.

I thought Gilbert would be a competent OC and I was wrong. He was beyond bad. A person could write for days how bad he was but him never going back to things that worked or the inane down and distant calls stick out to me as well as his failure to get plays in. He was just like Mcfukit.

You assume with Anea’s experience he knows how to call a game and will stick with things that work and run plays that take advantage of the defense. Just be consistent and run the plays that fit the personal and what the defense is giving you.
This article, and your comment, should be noted everytime someone on here criticizes a coach and is met with a "well actually, they see these guys every day and know better than you!" retort.

Yes they do see those guys every day in practice, and no sometimes they still stink at coaching.

First person I thought of after reading that article was McFuggit.

“Wouldn’t have mattered how well I could spin it with what we were running” — Shrader on Gilbert’s O.

That’s quite the kick to the marbles.

Love Shrader’s bluntness and I really hope it all comes together for him this year.

I think he saw a dysfunctional offense lacking the playmakers he had the first 3 years. He has some more of those now.

IMO to many people here are letting Dino off to easy or saying how he made a great move with changes. Dino had a lot to do with the total offensive disaster and allowed it to keep happening game after game. He is as much to blame for the offensive issues as Gilbert, whom by the way was one of the worst OC to ever be at SU. Even UFC fans laughed when Dino hired him. If Dino stays out of the way then SU will have a successful season.

IMO to many people here are letting Dino off to easy or saying how he made a great move with changes. Dino had a lot to do with the total offensive disaster and allowed it to keep happening game after game. He is as much to blame for the offensive issues as Gilbert, whom by the way was one of the worst OC to ever be at SU. Even UFC fans laughed when Dino hired him. If Dino stays out of the way then SU will have a successful season.
UFC fans? I'm not sure I care too much about the opinions of mixed martial arts fans about football.

First person I thought of after reading that article was McFuggit.

“Wouldn’t have mattered how well I could spin it with what we were running” — Shrader on Gilbert’s O.

That’s quite the kick to the marbles.

Love Shrader’s bluntness and I really hope it all comes together for him this year.
All hat no saddle

Great points

Everything falls on Dino. He made the hires. We are not taking it easy on him. The forum has been very critical of him. He also gets praise for making good hires. Nothing wrong with doing both.

It was a WHOLE lot of Schmidt(and some Lynch) offense after Rutgers. It just wasn't working. The linemen loved Schmidt plays, because they knew they had a chance. It was fun picking out which plays were his. I'd argue that if he had been hired a few years earlier, our fortunes would have been much different.

The man knows how to run the ball.

It was a WHOLE lot of Schmidt(and some Lynch) offense after Rutgers. It just wasn't working. The linemen loved Schmidt plays, because they knew they had a chance. It was fun picking out which plays were his. I'd argue that if he had been hired a few years earlier, our fortunes would have been much different.

The man knows how to run the ball.
Interesting that Gilbert was a lame duck so early in the season. Of course it made total sense after you lose a game where you barely run Tucker in the second half.

My biggest takeaway is that some of Shrader's teammates need to learn how to use Google/YouTube to figure out how to do stuff instead of imposing on others. :)

He knew nothing but success as a HC before he got here - granted that was only 4 seasons.
To dig deeper though, it was two seasons at an Ohio Valley Conf team, two seasons at a MAC school, a lot with guys that he inherited in both places, and he didn't stick around long enough to build a program and prove that he was capable of sustaining anything. A big step up in degree of difficulty across the board when he came to SU and a lot of on-the-job learning as a result. Hopefully that learning will finally manifest itself in real success in both winning and program building in OttoLand.

To dig deeper though, it was two seasons at an Ohio Valley Conf team, two seasons at a MAC school, a lot with guys that he inherited in both places, and he didn't stick around long enough to build a program and prove that he was capable of sustaining anything. A big step up in degree of difficulty across the board when he came to SU and a lot of on-the-job learning as a result. Hopefully that learning will finally manifest itself in real success in both winning and program building in OttoLand.
Yeah. I'm glad he's been willing to make changes, including to his own systems. Hopefully, it pays off and that will be a testament to being parient and providing someone with necessary resources.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom