Garrett Shrader: A rebel and team mechanic thinks he has the tools to fix Syracuse’s broken offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader: A rebel and team mechanic thinks he has the tools to fix Syracuse’s broken offense

It was a WHOLE lot of Schmidt(and some Lynch) offense after Rutgers. It just wasn't working. The linemen loved Schmidt plays, because they knew they had a chance. It was fun picking out which plays were his. I'd argue that if he had been hired a few years earlier, our fortunes would have been much different.

The man knows how to run the ball.
Yeah, what Schmidt has been able to do with the running game in a short period of time has been very impressive. I really like the reshaping of the prototype to tough, very large, aggressive, attacking OL. Our OL physically looks like an SEC line. Now, we have to see a big improvement in pass pro to take the next step. This has been an area of relative weakness for Schmidt's lines even at San Diego.

Part of the pass pro issues has been communication, IMO. Both presnap identifying risks and sliding coverage assignments, and post snap picking up or passing off blitzers, coordination between TEs and RBs picking up blitzes. I am hoping that Anae's system will help in this area. IF this improves, the passing game will be much more effective, even if Shrader continues to struggle somewhat with accuracy/making throws.

Yeah, what Schmidt has been able to do with the running game in a short period of time has been very impressive. I really like the reshaping of the prototype to tough, very large, aggressive, attacking OL. Our OL physically looks like an SEC line. Now, we have to see a big improvement in pass pro to take the next step. This has been an area of relative weakness for Schmidt's lines even at San Diego.

Part of the pass pro issues has been communication, IMO. Both presnap identifying risks and sliding coverage assignments, and post snap picking up or passing off blitzers, coordination between TEs and RBs picking up blitzes. I am hoping that Anae's system will help in this area. IF this improves, the passing game will be much more effective, even if Shrader continues to struggle somewhat with accuracy/making throws.
I will be happy this year if I never see two linemen blocking air while there’s a jailbreak from the other side of the line.

Perhaps justifiably so, but Gilbert is getting scapegoated a whole lot.

The boys have fenced themselves in to putting up or shutting up.

Gilbert was George McDonald 2.0. Even if he called the plays he did but was competent and got the calls in 10 seconds sooner we would have won another game or two. We know what bad coordinators look like and it was obvious from day 1 with him (and fans of his previous school warned us.)

Anae has also spent the last few years watching ACC film non stop. I never really loved Brennan Armstrong or UVA's offense but this is more than just putting a band aid on a broken leg.

The biggest emphasis on the line had been tempo. In 19? That reared its ugly head, because we couldn't run tempo, and were unprepared for Blitz pick up. So they came non stop. (I feel for Tommy) It takes a while to figure BPU.

Schmidt came with many tools in his toolbox. He played inside. Knew how to win battles, and makes sure our guys arent giving anything away, by constantly repeating tendencies. The line tool box went from spork, to Swiss army knife. To Babers credit, he recognized this, so it made perfect sense to utilize those tools.

At least for me? I would have liked to have seen Devito with a Schmidt line, and the play changes that followed. . Not trying to start that debate, here(there's a thread for that debate) . I can assure you, I'm not the only one. I had no prob with Tommy leaving early. New play changes were FAR over due. Would have liked to have seen Tommy with that opportunity, instead of tying him to plays I wish we had ditched in 19 and 20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom