Garrett Shrader | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

Wait until we see those new babies at the Dome...

I'm hearing some fans will get blinded by them...must be that guy we know in Iowa caused it
ha ha ha, I actually just looked and we havent been involved with Ohio Football, so Taj losing the ball in the lights could be valid. If he had lost the ball on the intramural fields, then thats on us. lol

Dont look directly into them, best bet.

2020 Pitt game 9/15 32 yards 0 TD 1 Int

I'm firmly in the "I know who this qb is" camp until they prove me wrong.
Jesus, he went 26/50 400yds 4Td, 1int the next two games. qb ratings of 142 and 157

in 2019 he was 213/337 2360 19 tds, 5 ints qb rating of 137.68, 3rd best since 2009.

but I guess that single game trumps all that other data

Should we have a Musco rep on standby to dim the lights for deep routes?
I would gladly sign up for those duties...if they weren't capable of doing so from here in Iowa. lol.

In my opinion no one, including Dino, knows what we have in Garrett Shrader. Shrader's greatest asset, what would really set him apart from TD, can only be demonstrated in a live, full-contact football environment. That is why Shrader deserves to see the field. He has been good enough to challenge Tommy without being able to show his pocket presence, escapability and running ability in a full-contact situation.

Remember years ago, the grad transfer QB Drew Allen (I think that was his name) was the starter early in the season? He just wasn't moving the offence and Terrell Hunt replaced him in a game and wowed everyone with his dual-threat ability. After the game Schaeffer said that Hunt had never shown that ability in practice. Of course not, you can only show that in live action. That's why GS should be given a chance to show fully what he could bring to this team on the field. A fair evaluation of a dual-threat QB must include seeing him in a full-contact environment.

As mentioned multiple times above, Dino is fighting for his job so I do believe he will put him into a game soon because I think he also wants to see exactly what he has in Shrader. I trust him enough to defer to his judgement as to when that should occur.
He played last week

Jesus, he went 26/50 400yds 4Td, 1int the next two games. qb ratings of 142 and 157

in 2019 he was 213/337 2360 19 tds, 5 ints qb rating of 137.68, 3rd best since 2009.

I’ve been told those stats don’t count because the game was out of hand and eye tests and

Do I want to see what Shrader can do? Eventually, yes.

But Tommy hasn't done anything to warrant him being pulled for Garrett either. I believe Dino's comment that both QBs will play was lip service so teams would have to prepare for both guys. It feels like TD is the clear starter at this point.

Also, if Dino's on the hot seat as some people think, do you really believe he's not playing the QB that gives us the best chance to win?

That game was historically bad due to the passing yards but there were several other games over the last two years that looked similar with the same results.

Even in his lone P5 win in 2019 he threw for 105 yards on 6/15 passing (Duke game)

Also QB rating is a poor stat. It doesn't take into consideration all the sacks and sack equivalents (scrambling out of bounds losses) from Devito's hesitation to throw the ball away/make a play.

I believe Dino's comment that both QBs will play was lip service so teams would have to prepare for both guys.

I hope that's the case, but more importantly, I hope the players were told that.

TD deserves all the snaps until he doesn't. Hopefully doesn't is something we never face this season.

I hope that's the case, but more importantly, I hope the players were told that.

TD deserves all the snaps until he doesn't. Hopefully doesn't is something we never face this season.
I Don't expect to see Shrader against Rutgers. He might get some run against Albany, but that's probably the only time he plays, unless we have a blowout.

The narrative when Dungey was QB was the back up needed to get meaningful playing so he was prepared if he had to come in. Different now tho.

Just watching Tommy over the years shows that all you have to do is put pressure on him and he gets rattle to the point that he would throw the ball away, ( like he did, w/o looking to either run or work to find a receiver) or get sacked. Rutgers whether you like them or not (and I don't), is a much much better team than Ohio and they will be throwing the house at TD. I am one that believes this will be the game you will see GS. Then everyone can debate it.

Just watching Tommy over the years shows that all you have to do is put pressure on him and he gets rattle to the point that he would throw the ball away, ( like he did, w/o looking to either run or work to find a receiver) or get sacked. Rutgers whether you like them or not (and I don't), is a much much better team than Ohio and they will be throwing the house at TD. I am one that believes this will be the game you will see GS. Then everyone can debate it.
When you give up 44 sacks - and countless other hurries and pressures - any QB is going to be “rattled. Hopefully, that issue has been addressed and improved. If it has, then TD’s reaction is less of an issue. And in an odd way, it might make him more prepared for the reduced number of times he does see pressure. We will find out.

That game was historically bad due to the passing yards but there were several other games over the last two years that looked similar with the same results.

Even in his lone P5 win in 2019 he threw for 105 yards on 6/15 passing (Duke game)

Also QB rating is a poor stat. It doesn't take into consideration all the sacks and sack equivalents (scrambling out of bounds losses) from Devito's hesitation to throw the ball away/make a play.
They scored 49 pts, he threw for two tds, and he ran for another against Duke.

Tommy is perhaps the worst playmaker we've ever had at QB
Post-2000, Dungey and Nassib are clearly the two best QBs we have had.

Then there are a bunch of QBs who started games who were legitimately bad, such as Dantley, Joe Fields, AJ Long, Austin Wilson, Zack Mahoney and a couple others.

Then there's a middle group of guys like Nunes, RJ, Perry Patterson and Terrel Hunt who sometimes sucked and sometimes had great moments. I would put Tommy towards the top of that middle group.

Then there are a bunch of QBs who started games who were legitimately bad, such as Dantley, Joe Fields, AJ Long, Austin Wilson, Zack Mahoney and a couple others.

Then there's a middle group of guys like Nunes, RJ, Perry Patterson and Terrel Hunt who sometimes sucked and sometimes had great moments. I would put Tommy towards the top of that middle group.
I think that's fair related to what he's accomplished so far.

Dodge.

If you’re going for a full context argument you can’t throw one bad game or even a couple and call it a day. Complaining about QB rating without putting up an alternative?

Not to mention pinning all sacks on the QB

Fair. I’d just point out that Dungey and Nassib both became great and are remembered as such for their final seasons in orange.

Wait until we see those new babies at the Dome...

I'm hearing some fans will get blinded by them...must be that guy we know in Iowa caused it
I sat in the corner end zone in the first row for Fan Fest. The only way I can describe the lights is it’s like looking into the high beams of an oncoming car.

My only advice is wear a baseball hat to block the lights or you will leave with a headache from the glare.

I have no clue how Pete Sala can say there is no issue with the lights. That my be true if you are a player but the people paying good money for seats in the 100 level won’t be happy.

Hopefully the Buttgers PR will lose one or two in the lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom