Garrett Shrader | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

Agreed, but Ryan was very good by the end of his junior year...especially in the bowl win. He completely understood the offense and made all the correct checks at the LOS. That's my primary concern with TD.
Are we at the end of his junior year?

Agreed, but Ryan was very good by the end of his junior year...especially in the bowl win. He completely understood the offense and made all the correct checks at the LOS. That's my primary concern with TD.

Babers mentioned something about the good job with the checks vs Ohio.

Had to stop reading after I saw this. You are implying that this staff doesnt know what to look for when evaluating players playing in the system that they designed. Coaches that have been doing physical and psychological evaluations on daily basis but you think Shrader deserves to play based on what? Internet chatter and fan preference? Previous highlights? You lost me there. Shrader deserves it when he earns it. That's the real world. No hand outs given.
His point was you can not earn it if you are not given a chance in live action. No coaching staff can determine that from only practice, they can only get a general feel.
For example Jim Brown was a terrible practice player, but would you want him in the game?

Had to stop reading after I saw this. You are implying that this staff doesnt know what to look for when evaluating players playing in the system that they designed. Coaches that have been doing physical and psychological evaluations on daily basis but you think Shrader deserves to play based on what? Internet chatter and fan preference? Previous highlights? You lost me there. Shrader deserves it when he earns it. That's the real world. No hand outs given.
I also believe that Dino is loyal to a fault and rather go down with his first QB recruit that he believes in even without evidence. See what I did there "Believe without evidence"....classic Dino cliché.

Do I want to see what Shrader can do? Eventually, yes.

But Tommy hasn't done anything to warrant him being pulled for Garrett either. I believe Dino's comment that both QBs will play was lip service so teams would have to prepare for both guys. It feels like TD is the clear starter at this point.

Also, if Dino's on the hot seat as some people think, do you really believe he's not playing the QB that gives us the best chance to win?
I do not think any one has said Dino is not playing the QB he has confidence in, however he did bring in a transfer. TD has had a lot of consistency problems and injury, especially with his decisions under pressure. People, me included, would like to have Shrader get some game experience, and there were some opportunities for that at Ohio.
It is obvious that Shrader lacks TDs arm strength, however is he capable of extending plays better than TD. We will not know, if he does not see live action, and an opportunity to learn that was missed.

I also believe that Dino is loyal to a fault and rather go down with his first QB recruit that he believes in even without evidence. See what I did there "Believe without evidence"...classic Dino cliché.
With what proof? I think there's more evidence that he'll play the guy who gives him the best chance to win vs playing favs

Last edited:
His point was you can not earn it if you are not given a chance in live action. No coaching staff can determine that from only practice, they can only get a general feel.
For example Jim Brown was a terrible practice player, but would you want him in the game?
He was given a chance in live action? And will again, I’d bet.

Tommy will start and get by far the majority of snaps until he gives the staff a reason not to. Shrader may be used in a few packages as change of pace but other than that if they keep winning why would you replace Tommy? Shrader has two more years left after this and can wait like 99% of other back ups in college football unless staff determines he's needed

Coach speak isn't worth much more than the gum on the bottom of your shoe, yet people are clinging to it like exactly that

Last edited:
Technically...yes. Last year was his RS JR year. This is his 5th year in the program.

Good call. I take my snarky response back and own the shame ;).

Bear with me, however. Let's go with games played in their 1st 3 seasons (acknowledging Ryan and Tommy were not the starters in their first seasons, but played):

QBGames Played Passes Attempted
Nassib34841
DeVito23520

Proper context > year in program

I also believe that Dino is loyal to a fault and rather go down with his first QB recruit that he believes in even without evidence. See what I did there "Believe without evidence"...classic Dino cliché.
I don't believe that at all. He gains nothing going down with Devito. Loyal to what? losing? He wants to win. This staff has their jobs on the line. Its not just Dino but everyone on his staff are putting their professional lives on the line. They dont want to re locate and apply for new jobs etc.. To risk that just to have Tommy play is complete stupidity to me. I think there is just as much value in hand picking a transfer QB that pans out. Also, the " belief without evidence" was never used for evaluating players.

It's a bad point on the surface because no coach in any sport gives guys tryout auditions in live game action. Practice matters, period. For the 'gamers' out there, they need to somehow channel that in practice.

And you know they needed a veteran transfer in here so the backup wasn't a deer in headlight freshman again.

Last edited:
I don't believe that at all. He gains nothing going down with Devito. Loyal to what? losing? He wants to win. This staff has their jobs on the line. Its not just Dino but everyone on his staff are putting their professional lives on the line. They dont want to re locate and apply for new jobs etc.. To risk that just to have Tommy play is complete stupidity to me. I think there is just as much value in hand picking a transfer QB that pans out. Also, the " belief without evidence" was never used for evaluating players.
Relax dude, I was just kidding around so I could use that "Belief without Evidence" quote. Some of you are so wrapped up in a team you have no control over. "Profession lives on the line" is a little over the top for college football coaches. That is reserved for our men/women in uniform (ie: Military, PD, FD). "Livelihood" would be a better word.

As an aside, it's not like Garrett is a 5th year senior and it's now or never for him. He's only a sophomore. Let's say he gets minimal playing time this year. He still has two full years after this where he will be the man.
Not too mention he still has a redshirt available if he only plays 4 games. Don’t see it happening but just food for thought.

Relax dude, I was just kidding around so I could use that "Belief without Evidence" quote. Some of you are so wrapped up in a team you have no control over. "Profession lives on the line" is a little over the top for college football coaches. That is reserved for our men/women in uniform (ie: Military, PD, FD). "Livelihood" would be a better word.
“Relax. their livelihoods are on the line”

I’m not sure this is great either

"Not given a chance" . People outside the team love to assume someone else is better. He was given the chance throughout camp. He needs to be better than Devito. Take it and run away with it so it leaves no doubt in the coaches mind. Some act like Devito is a complete scrub and can't improve. Shrader didnt walk into a program that has a QB with no experience. On top of that, playing a few more snaps against Ohio wasnt going to change the QB depth chart. They get better competition against their own defense in practice. Its funny, no one questions when other transfers come in and win the competition. No one questioned Bleich, Simmons but there's an assumption that the staff is not giving Shrader a look. There's an assumption that Shrader is killing it. Shrader could be having those moments but he also could be having those What moments that keeps the staff worried. Its been one game. Shrader will continue to improve. Lets see how it plays out.

Well, there is very much a real bias in short-term risk mitigation and playing not to lose vs longer term success/playing to win and being agressive.

I don't think that Dino would ever make a choice that he doesn't feel like gives him the best chance of winning... but I think what you can caveat that with is that it may give him the best chance of winning in the extreme near term (that game).

I believe there is an argument that coaches (and you see this with GMs in pro sports) that very much win the three feet in front of their face but sink a strategy that will win you longer term.

I think Dino played not to lose once we got up in Ohio. I think there would have been real value in getting GS more snaps. But, I think Dino's not worrying about game 7 on the year, he's worrying about game 1 and game 1 only because he knows he has no more leeway.

Just my 0.02.

He was given a chance in live action? And will again, I’d bet.

Also has to be some context as well. Jim Brown? Randy Moss wasn't a great practice player either but we are in two different hemispheres when discussing these two versus the topic at hand here. Come on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom