Garrett Shrader | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

I believe GS turned heads this fall. He is a completely different type of QB and personality from Tommy. TD did a nice job managing the O last Saturday. He deserves to start and i hope that he lights it up against Rutgers and every team we face. The fact that GS is by all accounts ready and very capable of leading this team is great news. We have 2 solid QBs and i believe both are going to play and be called upon this year. I expect GS to play against Rutgers regardless of how TD is playing.
Haven’t you been on the record saying GS was going to both pass TD in camp while also saying it’s TD’s to lose?

At this point in time you play Tommy until he proves you can't play him.Dino has to win this year, he can't rotate QB's, you don't play Shrader unless it's a blowout.
Dino has a habit of saying things he doesn't mean. I would expect Shrader to get some run against Albany, but that's the only game in the 1st 4 he will play much.
Yup, I agree. Still hoping he gets some packages this Saturday. His legs can give us some nice run pass options in special situations. It can throw rutgers off.

Haven’t you been on the record saying GS was going to both pass TD in camp while also saying it’s TD’s to lose?
You can read what i posted. He had a good camp. He obviously didn’t win the starting position. He will play. We are fortunate to have him.

Tommy isnt the answer. If he really beat out Shrader in a fair competition we are in trouble. From highlights I saw, GS has much more upside, particularly given that we wont have a great O-Line to protect the QB.
We might have a good OL?

Please tell me you made this determination by watching 2 years of Tommy in games and by watching Garrett’s highlight reel

Isn’t this the same guy who was moved to wide receiver after being a four star quarterback? I think the coaches know what they’re doing. This talk of Shrader needing to play is already getting old.

My two cents comes from a friend of a coach. Shrader is good. Tommy had a good camp and a good first game and deserves to start as he is the incumbent who was injured. GS would had to have been exceptional to have been named the starter.
We are lucky to have the QB depth we have this year.

Tommy isnt the answer. If he really beat out Shrader in a fair competition we are in trouble. From highlights I saw, GS has much more upside, particularly given that we wont have a great O-Line to protect the QB.
Did you step back in time one year?

Now I know you are smarter than that. Professional lives meaning “ their jobs are on the line”. P5 jobs pay a lot more than your average DI job. They don’t want to lose that. Some coaches don’t make it back to coaching at that level after getting fired. And FYI I am relaxed.
1631279652450.png

Isn’t this the same guy who was moved to wide receiver after being a four star quarterback? I think the coaches know what they’re doing. This talk of Shrader needing to play is already getting old.
Shrader started several games at QB as a true freshman. He wasn't terrible considering he was a true frosh on not a great team. He didn't fit the new staffs mold as a QB and he has excellent athletic ability so they wanted to see him at WR. Most QB's progress alot from their freshman years onward. No reason not to expect that from him. Devito was the safe and smart play for getting a win against OU. Why would Dino change anything up? You just needed the QB to manage the game and not be responsible for any turnovers. Devito excels at not making any bad turnovers. And he was great at executing what was needed against OU. He even ran it well and escaped the pocket a bit and made plays. Devito looked good and we'll see If he can keep playing like that against RU. If he can that will be awesome. But if teams like Rutgers are able to stuff the run a bit more and put us in more passing situation and also add pressure on the QB in those downs, we will see how much Devito has progressed in those areas. If he doesn't handle that well, then I think we see some more of Shrader to see what he can do to hopefully give us a spark, create something out of nothing and keep drives alive. I don't think it was lip service when Dino said Shrader deserves a shot to show what he can do in live game action. But the right time to do that is when/if it doesn't look like Devito is handling those situations well. Regardless, I would guess we start seeing Shrader more in 3rd and short situations and closer to the goal line.

Something interesting to take note of regarding player experience for this upcoming game. Rutgers players are much older than what SU is putting out on the field. That is good for them this year but I still think we should edge them out at home. The comparison below regarding the number of SR's and JR's really shows how much eligibility our guys have left and the upside growth we could possibly see in future years. We are on an upswing baby. Also I think people forget that Devito can return again next year if he wants.

Rutgers
offense = 6 SR/GR TR and 5 JR. 11 of 11 starters
defense = 7 SR/GR TR and 3 JR. 10 of 11 starters

Syracuse
offense = 1 SR/GR TR and 4 JR. 5 of 11 starters
defense = 2 SR/GR TR and 1 JR. 3 of 11 starters

I like your post, but Dino can't afford to take chances, one turnover early could lose Syracuse the game.
Definitely a level of risk playing him. I hope there are plays they have for him. Plays designed for him knowing he will make the right decision. They may or may not play him tomorrow. Wouldn't surprise me either way. We will see.

He could help keep drives alive in those situations. I don't think it was lip service when Dino said Shrader deserves a shot to show what he can do in live game action. But the right time to do that is when/if it doesn't look like Devito is handling those situations well. Regardless, I would guess we start seeing Shrader more in 3rd and short situations and closer to the goal line.
My thoughts as well.

We might have a good OL?

Please tell me you made this determination by watching 2 years of Tommy in games and by watching Garrett’s highlight reel
I hope you are right on the o line, but there really is no reason to believe that the o line will be any better than average, at best, against acc caliber opponents.

yes, u r correct, I made my post based upon seeing two years of tommy and highlights of shrader. Tommy is what he is, good arm, mediocre field vision, mediocre accuracy, doesn’t feel the pocket well, and below average escapability. Now, yes, hopefully he has improved in a couple of those areas, but for him to make a needed quantum leap....I will need to see it first, and if I do see it, I will LOVE to eat crow on my post.

as for shader, from highlights, anybody can see he has a lot of tools, and from stats, he appears to lack consistency. So, yes, IMHO, he has higher upside. Higher upside; however, does not necessarily make him a better QB right now. Tommy knows the system better at this point in time, so yeah, if we are playing Ohio caliber opponents and just need a game manager, roll w tommy. But the way I look at it, is that we won, ONE, freakin game last season. So, unless, you believe tommy has made that quantum leap, I will hope the guy w more upside can grow into the role, So that we can compete when the schedule gets tougher.

Agreed. But I will add, if he truly is #2, it would be nice to get him some live game reps in case something happens and we need him in there. I know he started some at MSU, but that was a while ago.

I hope you are right on the o line, but there really is no reason to believe that the o line will be any better than average, at best, against acc caliber opponents.

yes, u r correct, I made my post based upon seeing two years of tommy and highlights of shrader. Tommy is what he is, good arm, mediocre field vision, mediocre accuracy, doesn’t feel the pocket well, and below average escapability. Now, yes, hopefully he has improved in a couple of those areas, but for him to make a needed quantum leap...I will need to see it first, and if I do see it, I will LOVE to eat crow on my post.

as for shader, from highlights, anybody can see he has a lot of tools, and from stats, he appears to lack consistency. So, yes, IMHO, he has higher upside. Higher upside; however, does not necessarily make him a better QB right now. Tommy knows the system better at this point in time, so yeah, if we are playing Ohio caliber opponents and just need a game manager, roll w tommy. But the way I look at it, is that we won, ONE, freakin game last season. So, unless, you believe tommy has made that quantum leap, I will hope the guy w more upside can grow into the role, So that we can compete when the schedule gets tougher.
An average OL in the ACC would suggest an “average” team with average success. I would take average right now after last year. And yes, I expect this group of OLmen, if they can stay healthy, to be average against ACC competition. HCDB can work with average.

Agreed. But I will add, if he truly is #2, it would be nice to get him some live game reps in case something happens and we need him in there. I know he started some at MSU, but that was a while ago.
It would be nice to see the back up get some live game reps.. The challenge is finding those opportunities. Its normally in a lop sided win or loss.

Shrader started several games at QB as a true freshman. He wasn't terrible considering he was a true frosh on not a great team. He didn't fit the new staffs mold as a QB and he has excellent athletic ability so they wanted to see him at WR. Most QB's progress alot from their freshman years onward. No reason not to expect that from him. Devito was the safe and smart play for getting a win against OU. Why would Dino change anything up? You just needed the QB to manage the game and not be responsible for any turnovers. Devito excels at not making any bad turnovers. And he was great at executing what was needed against OU. He even ran it well and escaped the pocket a bit and made plays. Devito looked good and we'll see If he can keep playing like that against RU. If he can that will be awesome. But if teams like Rutgers are able to stuff the run a bit more and put us in more passing situation and also add pressure on the QB in those downs, we will see how much Devito has progressed in those areas. If he doesn't handle that well, then I think we see some more of Shrader to see what he can do to hopefully give us a spark, create something out of nothing and keep drives alive. I don't think it was lip service when Dino said Shrader deserves a shot to show what he can do in live game action. But the right time to do that is when/if it doesn't look like Devito is handling those situations well. Regardless, I would guess we start seeing Shrader more in 3rd and short situations and closer to the goal line.

Something interesting to take note of regarding player experience for this upcoming game. Rutgers players are much older than what SU is putting out on the field. That is good for them this year but I still think we should edge them out at home. The comparison below regarding the number of SR's and JR's really shows how much eligibility our guys have left and the upside growth we could possibly see in future years. We are on an upswing baby. Also I think people forget that Devito can return again next year if he wants.

Rutgers
offense = 6 SR/GR TR and 5 JR. 11 of 11 starters
defense = 7 SR/GR TR and 3 JR. 10 of 11 starters

Syracuse
offense = 1 SR/GR TR and 4 JR. 5 of 11 starters
defense = 2 SR/GR TR and 1 JR. 3 of 11 starters

Solid post!

I find the "moved to WR" remarks somewhat interesting as if that is some type of absolute statement of sort. I recall once upon a time where we had two highly regarded young recruits competing to get the starting nod at QB. After one won the starting gig, the other was moved to WR...both had exceptional careers at SU. Doesn't mean at all that the one moved to WR couldn't cut it/wasn't worth a darn at QB, but that it suited the team best at that particular time.

Last edited:
Solid post!

I find the "moved to WR" remarks somewhat obtuse as if that is some type of absolute statement of sort. I recall once upon a time where we had two highly regarded young recruits competing to get the starting nod at QB. After one won the starting gig, the other was moved to WR...both had exceptional careers at SU. Doesn't mean at all that the one moved to WR couldn't cut it/wasn't worth a darn at QB, but that it suited the team best at that particular time.
Also suited that player's NFL career.

yes, u r correct, I made my post based upon seeing two years of tommy and highlights of shrader. Tommy is what he is, good arm, mediocre field vision, mediocre accuracy, doesn’t feel the pocket well, and below average escapability. Now, yes, hopefully he has improved in a couple of those areas, but for him to make a needed quantum leap...I will need to see it first, and if I do see it, I will LOVE to eat crow on my post.

You say you know what kind of player Shrader is from watching highlights. Have you watched any of his non-highlights? You can learn a lot about players that way too. I think the coaches feel like they can work with Shrader to get him where they want him.
Upside is only good to an extent. Playing powerball has a real high upside. It doesn't mean you should spend all your free cash on tickets. Coaches care about downsides as well and the probability of each outcome.

I bet you could put together a 2 minute highlight film of TD that would look pretty good too.

For the record, I am very intrigued by Schrader's physical ability and I want to see him play. I just think we need to be patient and trust the coaches know a thing or two about what they're doing.

There's no reason to believe the O-Line will be any better than average? We couldn't open holes the last two years against the worst teams on our schedule, and in the first game of the season had huge lanes and almost 300 rushing yards. Tommy was only sacked once and had plenty of time to throw after getting sacked 10 times a game.

That's a big reason to believe the O-Line will be better than average if you ask me.

We also won ONE freakin game last season for a multitude of reasons, and Tommy only played in 4 of them, so hard to blame him for a 1-10 season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom