Garrett Shrader | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

I get accused of stumping for him and Dino all the time, orange colored glasses, etc. but, the vitriol for him is crazy and doesn’t allow for nuance. Earlier I said that Shrader doesn’t throw with good mechanics while saying he’s still pretty effective and got pilloried.

I don’t know how to tell people I believe both QBs have flaws and strengths and could still lead us to a bowl without getting stuff thrown at me.

Forgot how crazy it gets around here after a loss.
What are TD's strengths? I really don't know. Strong arm, I guess?

Yeah, he's got great mechanics when he has time to throw. Good accuracy on short throws, throws a catchable deep ball. Can make all the throws. This year, he's run the ball well and made good decisions.

I've said and I agree with the assessment that when things break down or he loses confidence in his OL - he turtles and can't make any decision. He's a horrible freelance passer. Takes sacks when confused.

Schrader, if nothing else, is rusty. When was the last time he played QB in a real game? He was not great looking last Saturday. Some difficulty handling the ball, a desperation throw across his body (which he did get away with). When SU got to the red zone Schrader, to use a technical golfing term, got the yips. Instead of calming and focusing the team we saw poor passes and a fumble.

I'd like to see him get some planned playing time against a team like Albany. It will give him a chance to shake of the rust. He may also settle down knowing he just has to manage the team without fear of being pulled off the field.

If our defense can hold Albany so the offense can tinker with personnel, I'd like to see Devito, Schrader, Morgan, and maybe even the Texan with decent minutes.

i have no issues whatsoever giving both guys reps especially if there's no big drop off. remember god forbid an injury is always lurking just one snap away and i like my back up to have some real game experience when/if he comes in.
it's just like that time you dined out a few weeks ago and your first waiter misses the glass and pours wine all over you. they apologize and then you see his back up tonite is the guy who dumped the soup all over your lap last week. nice to know that the manager has a fall back position. go cuse.

Last edited:
I'm sure both guys will get plenty of snaps this Saturday. Lots of film for us to disect. Then we'll be ready to cry for Jacobian or Dillon.
Hopefully they split the meaningful snap and the other 3 QB's can see the field in the second half of a nice blowout.
I don't care who starts as long as they both see roughly the same amount of time, personally what is Tommy gonna do against Albany to show up something he hasn't in 5 years.
At least for GS it will be some QB game experience he hasn't had since his freshman year, would love to see Dillon, Jacobian and even Lamson on the field Saturday.

Well he certainly hasn't shown it in the games yet so I don't understand how you can come to that conclusion
"Yet" is the key word. 15 snaps in two games doesn't give him much to show case however, the way he went through his progressions showed me the he will scan the field. I haven't seen that from TD. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Well he certainly hasn't shown it in the games yet so I don't understand how you can come to that conclusion

I really don't get the Shrader stuff one way or the other.

Those that think they saw enough to say he should play now.

Or those that think they saw enough to say he shouldn't be playing.

He needs a bigger assessment. I don't know if it will come this year or not, but any of you deciding this one way or another based on 3 drives in the 2nd quarter are just guessing.

But it's very American to pick a side, so here we are...

Those of you just saying give him a chance because the 5th year QB just led us to 7 points in a home game against a peer program, that's fine, but when we don't have instant success, don't expect plan C to work either.

He needs a bigger assessment. I don't know if it will come this year or not, but any of you deciding this one way or another based on 3 drives in the 2nd quarter are just guessing.

Those of you just saying give him a chance because the 5th year QB just led us to 7 points in a home game against a peer program, that's fine, but when we don't have instant success, don't expect plan C to work either.
I'm not picking a side. I'm saying Tommy did nothing to get pulled and Shrader did nothing to show that he should play over Tommy, and all in all it screwed up the flow of the game. Dino has mismanaged this situation badly.

I'm not picking a side. I'm saying Tommy did nothing to get pulled and Shrader did nothing to show that he should play over Tommy, and all in all it screwed up the flow of the game. Dino has mismanaged this situation badly.

In general, it feels like the board is picking sides.

1000% agree with everything else in your post.

The fact that Dino said they had scripted the QB rotation before the Rutgers game and stuck to it is fairly alarming to me.

The problem is plan A (Tommy as QB) is not working and it hasn't in the last three years. For me I just hope that SU can "catch lightening in a bottle" by playing GS. To keep going through the same game situations over and over and over because Dino is tethered to TD for his success says a lot. In reality all coaches are guessing whom will lead the offense to wins. I'm sure Dino thinks TD is the best practice QB and knows the playbook better then the others. However, practice is well...practice and the OC only runs about a dozen plays a game. We will never know if plan B is better until Dino can look outside the box.

The problem is plan A (Tommy as QB) is not working and it hasn't in the last three years. For me I just hope that SU can "catch lightening in a bottle" by playing GS. To keep going through the same game situations over and over and over because Dino is tethered to TD for his success says a lot. In reality all coaches are guessing whom will lead the offense to wins. I'm sure Dino thinks TD is the best practice QB and knows the playbook better then the others. However, practice is well...practice and the OC only runs about a dozen plays a game. We will never know if plan B is better until Dino can look outside the box.
The idea that Tommy “is not working” and yet ranks ninth all time in Syracuse history in passing is something to contend with.

I get the frustration and if GS started the rest of the season and TD transferred out I would understand that outcome.

I just don’t get the over the top “make him worse than he is” takes.

I’m not saying let him play based on what he has done, I m saying let him play lay based off what we have seen for three seasons here .

I’m not saying let him play based on what he has done, I m saying let him play lay based off what we have seen for three seasons here .

End of the day, Taj's fumble or not we didn't score in the first quarter. For whatever reasons he and his WRs don't seem to connect great (and I think that's more a WR issue) and that stinks. But in the 4th quarter there wasn't exactly a sense of urgency out of the kid or the moxie to get the ball downfield.

Hoping Saturday ends up being a step back for a two steps forward kind of thing.

I get it, but some were analyzing those drives, and saying why he's the better option. Maybe they're right, but it's too small a sample size to really know.

I understand the concept for letting him play because nothing else is working well. Just be prepared that it could be equally as bad, or even worse. Tommy, for his faults, isn't much of a risk taker, so we rarely see interceptions.

Maybe that's what Dino is so scared of.

The idea that Tommy “is not working” and yet ranks ninth all time in Syracuse history in passing is something to contend with.

I get the frustration and if GS started the rest of the season and TD transferred out I would understand that outcome.

I just don’t get the over the top “make him worse than he is” takes.
All I can say is that it is in the eye of the beholder

I get it, but some were analyzing those drives, and saying why he's the better option. Maybe they're right, but it's too small a sample size to really know.

I understand the concept for letting him play because nothing else is working well. Just be prepared that it could be equally as bad, or even worse. Tommy, for his faults, isn't much of a risk taker, so we rarely see interceptions.

Maybe that's what Dino is so scared of.
I agree.

The sooner you let Shrader get meaningful snaps and some PT the sooner we can move on. I agree no idea how good the kid is or isn't. We all know what Tommy is at this point.

Dino clearly thinks it's that close between the two of them but needs to pick one and move on. He isn't playing Shrader because he thinks it would be fun. Clearly, he's bringing things to the table that the staff likes. Just have not seen enough yet to know much if anything.

Like you said, taking sides. It's Tommy! It's Shrader!!! How would we know if the staff isn't sold either way and I am not saying it's a good thing. We aren't the only program in America with this issue.

In 2 games TD has 200 yards passing 0 TD and 1 INT !!! Against OHIO and RUTGERS. Not OHIO STATE just OHIO. What has TD done to show he deserves to be the starting QB and remain on the field? What has TD done in the games to prove that we shouldn't be giving all other QBs on the roster a chance? Because he flashed 3 years ago in relief duty? Because he was a 4-star recruit 5 years ago?

Without getting into the Tommy vs. Shrader debate, your point about it disrupting the flow of the game is spot on. That game was a poster child for people who hate the two-headed monster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom