Garrett Shrader | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader

I have zero faith in DB getting this turned around. I always said that DB would rather flameout with his guy (TD) then win with change. It doesn't matter who he brings in as OC, it's still Dino's scheme being ran and it is predictable and horrible. I've been following SU football since '71 when I went to my first game and this is so demoralizing as a fan. Other losing seasons were easier to swallow because I knew they had no talent. But this team has talent!

We drove down the field into the red zone twice in three drives. Even without scoring I was confident with how we were playing. Made no sense to hook Tommy.
Second half he was flat out awful. Giving Schrader a couple series had absolutely nothing to do with that. Am I saying one ☝️ f the four back ups is going to turn it around, who knows , I know I have seen enough of the TD show for three years.

Shrader may be a net wash when you factor in his strengths and weaknesses plus his inexperience. He reminds me of scoop jardine a little. He’ll make something happen one play then follow it up with an ill advised gamble… BUT we have nothing to lose at this point by giving him his opportunities to shake off rust and light a fire in this offense.

This is the third year I we have started 13. The first I was pumped and thought we had a good one . He didn’t do that well. The second he started and looked pretty bad until he was injured. Again this year I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. As soon as it heated up out there he fell to pieces like we have seen him do so many times. Don’t fing tell me he had no time today. He did. Schrader or Morgan next week , let’s go from there. What a nightmare fing game
100 percent agree. The Tommy apologists are baffling

- an average ACC OL is way better than what we had the last two seasons

- for that reason and that I think TD isn’t as bad as he’s looked with an awful OL, I think a quantum leap isn’t needed to get to good QB play and results we’ll be happy with

- you see the problem with evaluating highlights vs 3 years of following a guy on message board and watching him in every game right? There’s a pretty slick DeVito highlight package you can watch that will make you think he’s All-World. I think it’s good we have a staff with their jobs on the line making this determination based on hours of practice time.
Still think I am wrong ??

I am not saying shrader is the answer, that I do not know.

I am saying tommy isn’t the answer and we need to explore shraders upside.

Last edited:
Second half he was flat out awful. Giving Schrader a couple series had absolutely nothing to do with that. Am I saying one ☝️ f the four back ups is going to turn it around, who knows , I know I have seen enough of the TD show for three years.
I'd find it hard to get motivated if I did nothing wrong and then got hooked for a guy that barely moved the ball in three drives.

I'd find it hard to get motivated if I did nothing wrong and then got hooked for a guy that barely moved the ball in three drives.
That’s a huge problem if he can’t get motivated to play when the game and his job is on the line. Are you saying he has no competitive drive? I don’t actually think that is true.

Shrader also went 4 for 6 for 51 yards….average 7.0 yards a play and a completion % of 66.7%

Tommy Devito…. 15 for 26 for 149 yards. Averaged 5.7 yards per play and a completion % of 57%. 51 of his yards came from a single play.

So in 3 drives Shrader almost put up as many yards as Devito did in 3 whole quarters…

We have zero idea if Shrader is any good. I see a guy who looks like Taysom Hill (may throw worse than him). If he has 1% more moxy than TD than they should consider making the move.

My guess is he's not leaps and bounds better and at some point both QBs are needed b/c the way this line has blocked historically someone is gonna get dinged up

In 2018 against North Carolina when Devito replaced Dungey for lack of success we had scored 20 points at the time.

How many scores those first three drives?

Not doing something wrong and doing something right is not the same thing.
So it's Tommy's fault that we fumbled? Or that we got a holding call that stalled out a drive? I'm no Tommy apologist, but it makes absolutely no sense that he was pulled at that point in the game. Especially because it was "part of the plan".

Shrader also went 4 for 6 for 51 yards….average 7.0 yards a play and a completion % of 66.7%

Tommy Devito…. 15 for 26 for 149 yards. Averaged 5.7 yards per play and a completion % of 57%. 51 of his yards came from a single play.

So in 3 drives Shrader almost put up as many yards as Devito did in 3 whole quarters…

Devito 149 yards in 3 quarters - 50 yards per quarter.
Shrader 51 yards in 3 quarters - 51 yards per quarter.

51 yards is "almost as many yards" as Devito's 149? Neither QB was great but this is a ridiculous exaggeration.

51 yards is "almost as many yards" as Devito's 149? Neither QB was great but this is a ridiculous exaggeration.
The object of the game to outscore your opponent. Looking good has nothing to do with a football game.
Terry Bradshaw under some of your people's ideas was a bad QB, but won 4 Super Bowls. No more excuses for TD, he either starts leading the team to score points or he sits. The people still defending him are wrong, unless he starts leading the team to scores his playing QB, needs to end.

So they knocked out the same production, roughly, per quarter (even tho I think GS had less drives per quarter in total, but tabling that for the moment).

So you have one guy that has had three years of starting games in our system and one guy that has never started a game in our system and are roughly doing the same output per quarter.

This reminds me of the question (and Im going to butcher it, but the point will stand) if you have a runner in a race that can run the 100 in 10.9 but has no training or another runner that can run a 10.8 but has had years of training, who do you choose to be the better runner?

We cannot swap out a whole OL. we cannot swap out a whole WR grouping. We need to find a way to be better on O and there are a limited number of levers that we can pull and seeing what GS can do is at least one possibility. But he can't be graded out the same as Tommy.

Does this mean that GS should 100%, without a shadow of a doubt be the QB? No. IMO, and only my opinion, I do think it means that GS needs to be given more runway to show what he can do.

Last edited:
So they knocked out the same production, roughly, per quarter (even tho I think GS had less drives in total, but tabling that for the moment).

So you have one guy that has had three years of starting games in our system and one guy that has never started a game in our system and are roughly doing the same output per quarter.

This reminds of the question (and Im going to butcher it, but the point will stand) if you have a runner in a race that can run the 100 in 10.9 but has no training or another runner that can run a 10.8 but has had years of training, who do you choose to be the better runner?

We cannot swap out a whole OL. we cannot swap out a whole WR grouping. We need to find a way to be better on O and there are a limited number of levers that we can pull and seeing what GS can do is at least one possibility. But he can't be graded out the same as Tommy.

Does this mean that GS should 100%, without a shadow of a doubt be the QB? No. IMO, and only my opinion, I do think it means that GS needs to be given more runway to show what he can do.
well said. No one with a sane mind is thinking that Shrader is Lamar Jackson, but we don't know who he is because he has played a total of 4 series for us. Tommy has had a ton of starts since 2019 to prove he should be the guy, and he hasn't done that. Like you say, we can't make massive changes elsewhere on offense, we can certainly bring some young WRs into action more, move OL guys around when Davis comes back etc. But, the biggest potential upside move by far is giving Shrader a chance to prove or not prove that he is the guy

The object of the game to outscore your opponent. Looking good has nothing to do with a football game.
Terry Bradshaw under some of your people's ideas was a bad QB, but won 4 Super Bowls. No more excuses for TD, he either starts leading the team to score points or he sits. The people still defending him are wrong, unless he starts leading the team to scores his playing QB, needs to end.
Once again, he can't do it all by himself. If his teammates don't fumble or get called for dumb penalties, he probably produces points.

Also, how many points did Shrader produce?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom