Gary Gait! | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Gary Gait!

Gait mentions targeting a FOGO and a goalie in the transfer portal. I think an attackman should be a priority as well. Another defender would be great but there are a lot on the roster already.
I'm a bit surprised that Gait mentioned looking for a goalie in the portal given the current crop - Thompson, Katchadurian, Duffy and Rolley. I got the impression that Desko was pretty high on Thompson and Katch. Maybe Gait just wants some experience there in case those guys don't deliver as hoped for.

That goes without saying because the men’s team was putrid beyond words. FYI, my daughter played at the highest HS level, in addition to club lax every summer. She had multiple offers to play D1, but chose a medical degree instead. To each their own, but for me, men’s lax is significantly more exciting.
Isn’t medical school after athletic eligibility? Dr. Spera

I'm a bit surprised that Gait mentioned looking for a goalie in the portal given the current crop - Thompson, Katchadurian, Duffy and Rolley. I got the impression that Desko was pretty high on Thompson and Katch. Maybe Gait just wants some experience there in case those guys don't deliver as hoped for.

Yeah I was too. I can’t remember the exact quote but he said they were targeting goalie and fogo due to lack of experience returning. Obviously that makes sense for goalie but not for fogo if Phaup is coming back. Maybe it was in reference to Varello. Anyways, I would probably prioritize attack, fogo and defense in the transfer market. I think that’s where the Orange need the most help.

Outside of Hiltz and Seebold, there are no sure things on attack. You have to have very good attack play in the ACC. Phaup is a good player but competition would be good for him and they need someone who is reliable. Would a transfer want a potential battle? Defense obviously has a lot of holes.

Yeah I was too. I can’t remember the exact quote but he said they were targeting goalie and fogo due to lack of experience returning. Obviously that makes sense for goalie but not for fogo if Phaup is coming back. Maybe it was in reference to Varello. Anyways, I would probably prioritize attack, fogo and defense in the transfer market. I think that’s where the Orange need the most help.

Varello graduated.

Garlow is rumored to be in the portal.

That leaves Phaup, Savage, Kline, and Fine the frosh (who I'm sure they'd like to redshirt).

4 ain't enough.

Same thing at cage.

There's Thompson and Katch, and Duffy and a frosh.

Varello graduated.

Garlow is rumored to be in the portal.

That leaves Phaup, Savage, Kline, and Fine the frosh (who I'm sure they'd like to redshirt).

4 ain't enough.

Same thing at cage.

There's Thompson and Katch, and Duffy and a frosh.

4 is plenty at both of those positions. Good luck trying to get practice reps for even the 4th guy on those depth charts. 5 or 6 is FAR too many

Depending on a wildly inconsistent FOGO in the ACC seems self destructive to me. At least half the FOGOs in the ACC have figured Phaup out. The middle positions are the most important. Gait is smart to look for the very best available at both FOGO and goalie. The fact that Desko left last year's goalie in games that were obviously lost, even when he was shelled and seemed lost leads me to believe he did not put a lot of stock in the current goalie depth. Gait is right to express interest now in better players at all positions.

4 is plenty at both of those positions. Good luck trying to get practice reps for even the 4th guy on those depth charts. 5 or 6 is FAR too many

Have thought about this more, and I disagree about faceoffs, and agree somewhat on goalie. Phaup’s struggles are long documented, Savage is an intriguing prospect but won something like 37% last year. I don’t think Kline is likely to see the field so your real number is three, and Fine is a four star prospect but I have no idea how he performed this year with the new rules. Blanchard from Hobart looks like the best prospect in the Portal right now. After him though there aren’t a lot of guys who are much above 50%. I imagine Maryland is pretty desperate for help at the X as they have only two right now.

Goalie is another position where you can only play one at a time, but you can rotate FOGOs much more easily. You don’t have a player like Phaup coming back, but we did hear good things about Thompson and Katchadurian. Neither of their stats looked very good in mop up duty however. Goalie wouldn’t be the worst thing to bring in, I just wonder if that would effectively write off the rest of the four goalies already on the roster. The goalie Dolan from Binghamton looks most promising in the portal. Most of the other top teams are pretty set at goalie, minus Duke.

Have thought about this more, and I disagree about faceoffs, and agree somewhat on goalie. Phaup’s struggles are long documented, Savage is an intriguing prospect but won something like 37% last year. I don’t think Kline is likely to see the field so your real number is three, and Fine is a four star prospect but I have no idea how he performed this year with the new rules. Blanchard from Hobart looks like the best prospect in the Portal right now. After him though there aren’t a lot of guys who are much above 50%. I imagine Maryland is pretty desperate for help at the X as they have only two right now.

Goalie is another position where you can only play one at a time, but you can rotate FOGOs much more easily. You don’t have a player like Phaup coming back, but we did hear good things about Thompson and Katchadurian. Neither of their stats looked very good in mop up duty however. Goalie wouldn’t be the worst thing to bring in, I just wonder if that would effectively write off the rest of the four goalies already on the roster. The goalie Dolan from Binghamton looks most promising in the portal. Most of the other top teams are pretty set at goalie, minus Duke.
I think Adler is back for another year at Duke - he's doing a 2 year grad program.

I don't know what Desko was thinking about last year but I certainly thought Porter should have been taken out of games where it was a lost cause and give the backups some time. It seems like a win-win to give your starter a rest (mentally and physically) and get a better sense of what you have in the backups. I guess he was concerned about the confidence levels of the goalies in games where they would be shelled.

Yes. Lots of Drs were undergrad D-1 athletes. My brother included
It's a far more difficult path. I can't fault somebody for prioritizing med school over athletic participation.

The way Gait has mentioned roster size moving forward I would imagine the days of carrying 6 face off guys and 5-6 goalies for however many seasons it's been now are over. I think I could buy the argument regarding having 5-6 options at fogo, but I've never really understood having more than 3 goalies on the roster.

These are good questions! I'll do my best to answer, though someone more plugged into the program would have better responses.

1) Hopefully the Scanlan situation is in the rearview mirror. I have to think, Gait would be the last coach on earth that would offer him any sort of second chance, seeing that he was the women's coach last year. The takeaways? It sounds like Scanlan had a number of previous unreported issues that should have been addressed (rumors of at least two fights with teammates). Have to nip things like this in the bud early on.
2) Syracuse definitely had some bad moments last year where frustration got the best of them. I'm not a coach, but I imagine taking guys out of games or some sort of discipline if they can't keep their emotions in check would help.
3) "Culture" is such a difficult thing to measure. To me it's a chicken or the egg type thing - are you winning because you have a good culture, or do you have a good culture because you are winning? I know a lot was made of UVA not bringing in a lot of transfers last year and that was because of their "culture". Duke fell apart and it was thought it was because they brought in too many transfers. So I think Syracuse has to be careful about who they bring in, but should still bring in impact players if they can. Also, it seems like a team would just be much more easy to manage if the numbers are lower. It sounds like long term this is something Gait wants to work on, but I don't know if he will make massive cuts to the roster. I might remember this wrong, but I beleive when Tiffany came on at UVA, he made a number of cuts to the roster that surprised people. It seemed harsh at the time, but perhaps Gait should do the same. Did Syracuse have culture problems last year? The covid protocal suspensions were not a good look to start the year, and raises some questions about how committed the team was, but at the same time, as a team they stood up to a star player and made a stand - not too many teams can say that.
4) It does sound like all three coaches will be heavily involved in recruiting which is great. I think its well known Desko didn't love the grind of recruiting, and I don't think Donahue was well known for recruiting either - that left most of it up to Rogers. Now you have March who proved himself last year, along with two of the biggest names in lacrosse history. Petro has proven himself a really good recruiter, and can draw from all over the country. Not sure what exact responsibilities get doled out to who but it looks like Gait was at the Long Island High School Championships this week while Petro was down in Maryland at an event. I'm guessing there will be a lot of dividing and conquering.
5) Faceoffs are tricky - Phaup had his struggles last year, but still had a 57% winning percentage, and like you said dominated LaSalla. I don't think you can just give up on him, but you need to have a more reliable backup. And in terms of coaching it felt pretty telling that he felt the need to drive down to New Jersey to meet with Jerry Ragonese when he was struggling. Someone on here mentioned that TD Irelan might be brought in as a voluntary coach, but I have no idea how true that is. If it is true I have to think that would help immensely. I don't think many teams have a coach who is considered an expert on face-offs.

I thought I would add my own question.
6) How does Gait make this team his own? I sincerely beleive it is great that Desko still plans on being close to the program, and that he's already had extensive contact with Gait and Petro. And Gait being an alum, and having previously coached the women's team helps with continuity, which again is certainly a good thing - but this program needed a shakeup. How does Gait establish himself and make it clear that someone new is leading the team.
Gait won't have any trouble. The players will know from Day 1 who is in charge.

It's a far more difficult path. I can't fault somebody for prioritizing med school over athletic participation.
No doubt. I was responding (and probably shouldn’t have) to the idea that someone had to forego D-1 sports in order to become a physician.

Thought the same with regards to goalies. Thompson looked pretty good in spot duty and Katch was a big time kid. We don't see behind the scenes though. Kids take a lot of shots in practice so I'd 'guess' might be a quality issue.

Thought the same with regards to goalies. Thompson looked pretty good in spot duty and Katch was a big time kid. We don't see behind the scenes though. Kids take a lot of shots in practice so I'd 'guess' might be a quality issue.
I'm not sure if this has been stated publicly, but Carter Rice's high school teammate is coming to Syracuse next fall. He is a goalie named Jamie Horton. He played with Rice on Laxachusetts and at BC High. His twin brother is headed to play at Bryant after previous committing to High Point. Jamie is arguably the top goalie in MA and turned down many D1 looks and flirted with a PG year. He has played very well down the stretch in the MIAA playoffs (as has Rice) and will play for a state championship this week. Curious if he tries to walk on.

U know I wondered sometimes why he wasn't hired sooner but now that he's here im ecstatic and have no doubt in my mind that syracuse lacrosse is back on top!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom