Geno Gone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Thorpe wasn’t impressive in what little we saw of him. I expected more given his relative success at South Florida. He wasn’t going up unseat Howard as I expected prior to the season. But this is still a big loss even if he wasn’t going to play much. He’s more experienced than Washington and a better defender. We can also kiss the 3-guard offense goodbye. After watching Thorpe, I quickly lost confidence he could be the guy for 30-35 minutes a game if Howard or Battle went down. Now we have to hope Howard and Battle can stay healthy. If one goes down, so goes our season. But that was probably true if Thorpe was still here.

Its been a combination of those two factors -- he got hurt at exactly the wrong time of the preseason, and Frank has played better than most expected.

I kept hearing how tight Howard and Thorpe were this summer -- hopefully our new leader can pull Thorpe back from the ledge and smooth things over.

Yeah, on a plus side with no 3 guard lineup option Moyer and Washington are now solidly 7,8 in the rotation. Both should see enough minutes to help their development for the future.

Last edited:
if something happens to frank or battle we're screwed whether thorpe is here or not

That isn't really the point. I'd rather have a 5th year player who is experienced and has been a double figure scorer, capable of manning either guard spot, to spell those two guys instead of a 160 pound freshman.

And while we might be screwed long term if either of those guys go down, we're REALLY screwed if either of them go down and we don't have Thorpe. As many people have said, hopefully this blows over.

if something happens to frank or battle we're screwed whether thorpe is here or not
False. Thorpe can 100% play at this level. So silly that peiple are making judgements off 5 games when Thorpe was very limited by injury. Same people who trashed FH last year I assume when he played with a shredded groin.

This is a big big loss. We need everything to fall perfectly now to make the Dance. Howard W is not close to ready.

Get ready for 40 minute nights for Howard and Tyus.

What do people see in Washington to think he will be able to contribute much?

Nothing yet, but I haven't seen much of him at all. I didn't really see much out of Geno either. Not sure being a 17 point scorer on a 6 win mid major really translates to the ACC. I'd rather roll the dice with a freshman who will eventually contribute here.

I think the best we can expect out of HW is a role similar to Frank played on that final 4 run, come in make some good passes, set up guys in good spots, make an occasional play, wasn't to impressed with Thorpe but I do agree having him for depth was nice

Yeah, on a plus side with no 3 guard lineup option Moyer and Washington are now solidly 6,7 in the rotation. Both should see enough minutes to help their development for the future.

You mean 7/8.

Our top 6 players are Battle, Howard, Brissett, Dolezaj, Sidibe/Chukwu. Then a large drop to Moyer and Washington who will play sporadic minutes, if at all.

I find it puzzling, if a PT issue. Thorpe played poorly against MD and didn't get much time. But he was still firmly the 3rd guard. From GT's play so far this doesn't seem like too much of a loss but I was expecting him to do better as the season progressed.

On the bright side we get to see Washington develop. The guy bleeds Orange and there had been wonderings why he wasn't seeing time. Now he gets some.

The problem is, we'll now be expecting Howard Washington to play in some capacity against arguably the best backcourt in college basketball, on short notice. What could possibly go wrong.

And please don't interpret this sentiment as being anti-Washington. I've said repeatedly this preseason that I expect him to have a nice career, and to potentially be a quality starter as an upperclassman. I like that he came in as an experienced lead guard, as opposed to an athlete we were trying to convert. He could have a very nice career here. But there's no way he should have seen the court this year. Not a good situation, no matter what spin people want to put on it.

Listen, everyone on here has this wrong. We will be ok!

You know how I know? If Top Gun has taught us anything:
Geno Thorpe is Cougar
Howard Washington is Maverick
Coach is this guy:
duke-stroud-movies.jpg

Gentlemen:
Good luck, gentlemen ;)

The problem is, we'll now be expecting Howard Washington to play in some capacity against arguably the best backcourt in college basketball, on short notice. What could possibly go wrong.

And please don't interpret this sentiment as being anti-Washington. I've said repeatedly this preseason that I expect him to have a nice career, and to potentially be a quality starter as an upperclassman. I like that he came in as an experienced lead guard, as opposed to an athlete we were trying to convert. He could have a very nice career here. But there's no way he should have seen the court this year. Not a good situation, no matter what spin people want to put on it.

I think Frank and Tyus would have both played 37 plus regardless Saturday. I’m not sure HW won’t be better. Maybe he can help us improve our long distance shooting when he’s in

Jesus, we can’t buy a break. Geno had that ankle injury and hadn’t been able to get in the flow of the offense and defense yet and learn our systems. But I had high hopes he would continue to improve and would be a factor by conference play. There goes any chance at being able to develop depth at guard.

Look, if Thorpe left over PT, then his health is no longer an issue. And if his health is no longer an issue and the best he could do was one solid half of basketball, then he wasn't the player we were expecting.

Although, it will be baller if Washington's first career points come against Kansas.

That's a BS attitude, unless he was promised something and completely misled. You don't quit just because things aren't going your way. Grow up and stick out what you committed to.
Eh, I don't know. Maybe he doesn't care about having a master's degree, and rather than be a college player and get yelled at he'd rather take a job where he gets paid while getting yelled at?

I’m ok with it. He seemed out of sync and forcing things. I really like Washington and he plays smoothly. This may be a blessing to give Washington an opportunity

We only have 3 guards on that 12-13 team with MCW and Triche playing around 35 minutes each and Trevor playing about 10 minutes, that team turned out just fine. So far Battle and FH pretty matched MCW and Triche's production on both ends, just need HW to provide what freshman Trevor did which isn't exactly a tall task. The most important thing is staying healthy like that 12-13 team did.

Remarkably immature decision for a 23 year old. We've played 6 games, that he couldn't stick it out at least a few more weeks to see how his playing time evolved is incredibly short-sighted.

Hurts the team in terms of depth, but when you can't count on a 23 year old to be mature then maybe we're better off without him around. Have to assume he'd be a locker room problem at some point. This team seems to have chemistry, better to get him away from the impressionable younger guys now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom