Geno Gone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Had heard that he and JB had a blowup after the Maryland game about playing time. Didn't want to post rumors here, but turns out it was 100% true.

I was hoping cooler heads would prevail after he had a day or two to think about it. this is exactly why you can't go into the season with only 3 guards. In the short term I think this is a pretty big setback but it could be a good thing long-term as far as the development of Washington. Gino is obviously looking for a bigger role and quite frankly I thought he would have a bigger role coming into the season 20 25 minutes a game. Frank has just been so good that would Geno coming in late and then spraining his ankle and struggling it just wasn't going to happen.

I was hoping it wouldn't go this way. Once again Dean Francis had the scoop on this multiple days ago. That $1 a month was the best money I ever spent. We are very thin and this is a big loss. Even though he has struggled I really thought he could have gotten it going and been that 3rd guy. Now there is a lot of pressure on Washington. Hopefully he delivers and makes iommi look like a genius.

I was hoping cooler heads would prevail after he had a day or two to think about it. this is exactly why you can't go into the season with only 3 guards. In the short term I think this is a pretty big setback but it could be a good thing long-term as far as the development of Washington. Gino is obviously looking for a bigger role and quite frankly I thought he would have a bigger role coming into the season 20 25 minutes a game. Frank has just been so good that would Geno coming in late and then spraining his ankle and struggling it just wasn't going to happen.

Its been a combination of those two factors -- he got hurt at exactly the wrong time of the preseason, and Frank has played better than most expected.

I kept hearing how tight Howard and Thorpe were this summer -- hopefully our new leader can pull Thorpe back from the ledge and smooth things over.

Disagree -- this is a BIG loss. We've sustained injuries in recent years -- heaven forbid something happen to either Frank or Battle now [and as we all know, Battle had a recent scare with his back]. Losing an experienced player harms depth, potentially forces us to play a guy who might not be ready, and takes a shooter off of an already anemic shooting team. To say nothing of having to now play guys who are being asked to do a LOT on both ends of the floor damn near close to 40mpg.

With any luck, this can be repaired. We're a better team with Thorpe than without him.

if something happens to frank or battle we're screwed whether thorpe is here or not

How has Frank emerged as a legit ACC point guard? We've played 5 mid majors and 1 bottom half B1G team. Until Frank can consistently get 10/6 against Duke/UNC/UL/UVA/ND/Miami etc, he is not a legit ACC PG. He hasn't done that yet.

How do you know they're a bottom half B1G team?

And Frank never did that much against any even mediocre mid major last year.

Gillon struggled for a while and didn’t get much playing time either . He had a pretty good second half to the season . Just don’t get it .

How has Frank emerged as a legit ACC point guard? We've played 5 mid majors and 1 bottom half B1G team. Until Frank can consistently get 10/6 against Duke/UNC/UL/UVA/ND/Miami etc, he is not a legit ACC PG. He hasn't done that yet.

The BIG is weak. They’ll finish top 5 in that conference.

Its been a combination of those two factors -- he got hurt at exactly the wrong time of the preseason, and Frank has played better than most expected.

I kept hearing how tight Howard and Thorpe were this summer -- hopefully our new leader can pull Thorpe back from the ledge and smooth things over.
you'd think FH would have been trying to smooth things past few days - apparently to no avail - maybe besides being mad about PT geno needs $$ and is headed overseas

Get ready for 40 minute nights for Howard and Tyus.

What do people see in Washington to think he will be able to contribute much?

How do you know they're a bottom half B1G team?

And Frank never did that much against any even mediocre mid major last year.

was going to post the same thing about Maryland. Anyone watching the ACC/Big 10 challenge can see how many bottom feeders are in the Big 10, Maryland isn't one of them.

Not to speculate too much, but I kind of get it. He's been hurt, he has his degree - if he's frustrated about stuff he doesn't have to put up with it.

Nor should we have to put up with him. Better that the malcontents leave, they bring everyone down.

Sucks to be an 8 man team now, but better for developing next year’s team and beyond.

Frank Howard is now our team leader and arguably most respected guy in the locker room. Good god what a difference a year makes.

Think I would have stuck it out for the free trip to South Beach, but that's just me. Injury put him behind a bit but if this is truly a playing time issue it is really puzzling. Not like he can transfer and play again. And while the short term might look less than promising there were any number of scenarios where Geno would have been the next man up in the case of injuries or foul trouble. He was clearly the third guard in the pecking order and with Tyus playing some 3 Geno would step in if we need perimeter shooting and Brissett is in foul trouble. With a team so devoid of three point shooting, I would have expected Geno to be a prime option as the season progressed.

Not to speculate too much, but I kind of get it. He's been hurt, he has his degree - if he's frustrated about stuff he doesn't have to put up with it.

That's a BS attitude, unless he was promised something and completely misled. You don't quit just because things aren't going your way. Grow up and stick out what you committed to.

Disagree -- this is a BIG loss. We've sustained injuries in recent years -- heaven forbid something happen to either Frank or Battle now [and as we all know, Battle had a recent scare with his back]. Losing an experienced player harms depth, potentially forces us to play a guy who might not be ready, and takes a shooter off of an already anemic shooting team. To say nothing of having to now play guys who are being asked to do a LOT on both ends of the floor damn near close to 40mpg.

With any luck, this can be repaired. We're a better team with Thorpe than without him.
Absolutely. This is a huge huge loss. I can say with 100% fact that the staff does not think HW is anywhere near ready to play. Do people realize that if battle or franl gets hurt we will be playing a walk on as our 3rd guard? This to me moves us from a tourney team to the wrong side of the bubble.

For the record, door is not shut from what I'm told. But I would say it's unlikely he comes back. Kid is a dynamic scorer and was dinged up. Jim got this wrong IMO. Very disappointing

It was pretty apparent that the bigger lineup was performing much better than the 3 guard lineup.

Know JB, if he thought Thorpe was going to be crucial to our success he would have given more PT to Thorpe.

Kids have survived tossing chairs at JB, a little yelling match is nothing. I don't think we put up too big of a fuss.

Can he transfer again and be eligible in January?

Get ready for 40 minute nights for Howard and Tyus.

What do people see in Washington to think he will be able to contribute much?
He is not reckless with the basketball, rarely tries to do too much, is a good outside shooter and is a pass first point guard. I'm not sure what makes you think he can't play a handful of minutes and be a steady hand. I'm concerned with his defense at the top of the zone but outside of that he should be ok. Most people who think he can saw him play in high school and heard reports from practice that the staff thinks he is even better than they thought. He isn't a bum. He is being thrust into a role that wasn't intended but the reality is I don't think he sinks the ship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom