Geno Gone | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

I have to admit, I keep hoping that I'll see an article or a post announcing his return to the team. That said, I'm probably overlooking something very important. How was his presence impacting the team? I certainly wouldn't think that a guy who is that volatile and unhappy with his playing time would be a positive influence. We saw that play out last year.

I have to admit, I keep hoping that I'll see an article or a post announcing his return to the team. That said, I'm probably overlooking something very important. How was his presence impacting the team? I certainly wouldn't think that a guy who is that volatile and unhappy with his playing time would be a positive influence. We saw that play out last year.

In trying to look up Geno's masters program I found that he's no longer listed on Cuse.com's roster.

I remember when Eric Williams quit the team in the late '90s and a reporter made a big deal over his photo being removed from his Dome locker, contrasting it with Elvir's hiatus (during which he kept his photo and locker). In the internet age, this seems similar. Probably not a good sign for Geno's return.

I don't get it. He's unhappy with his playing time so now he's not going to play at all ?

Just didn't have the will to commit himself to basketball anymore. Dealing with a lifelong disease that impacts your day to day can take it's toll on a person.

Just didn't have the will to commit himself to basketball anymore. Dealing with a lifelong disease that impacts your day to day can take it's toll on a person.

With all due respect, please. All of us are walking stories. We ALL have stories we can tell. That is never an excuse for acting foolishly and not owning it and taking responsibility.

As for the earlier comment... that's fine if the dude doesn't have it in him anymore, but still, no need to do it this way. As the great Lil Dicky once said... be professional!

#noexcuses
#manup
#onemoreforB

Last edited:
With all due respect, please. All of us are walking stories. We ALL have stories we can tell. That is never an excuse for acting foolishly and not owning it and taking responsibility.

As for the earlier comment... that's fine if the dude doesn't have it in him anymore, but still, no need to do it this way. As the great Lil Dicky once said... be professional!

#noexcuses
#manup
#onemoreforB

Yeah, agreed. That’s crap. Stick to your commitments.

I understand his frustration, absolutely. But if you don’t find value in being a part of a team? Then you’re really missing out on something.

You’re on Syracuse basketball, at least getting some run. You’ll probably never play any meaningful ball again after this. I’d stick in there and make the best of it. And who knows what would happen? It’s a long season. Whose to say he wouldn’t have a Gillon vs. Duke moment, where things get a lot more fun for him?

I felt bad for his dad, reading that article.

#noexcuses
#manup
#onemoreforB

We all have stories we can tell. You don't know what he's dealt with. End of discussion.

We all have stories we can tell. You don't know what he's dealt with. End of discussion.

End of discussion? Okay man, but no. Anyway...

That's exactly what I was saying, dude We all have a story to tell. He fdkd up regardless. No need for him to handle himself that way. No need. End of discussion. :confused:

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for dredging up this thread but I had a thought this morning while sitting on the crapper. Does Geno leave if Hopkins is still on the staff? I suppose my question is less about Geno than it is about the dynamic on the coaching staff now that Hopkins has gone to UW. We've heard in the past that Hopkins played good cop to Boeheim's bad cop. That he smoothed over lots of problems in the background that could have poisoned team chemistry. I wonder if there is anyone on the staff that has taken up (or is capable of taking up) that responsibility? We've all heard that Boeheim has softened in his old age but he's still can be difficult as his pressers attest. I can't imagine it's easy for him dealing with these young kids every day anyway. I hope there are still some folks around to keep the frustrations of both Boeheim and the players under control.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that was Hopkins' second-most important role (after recruiting).

Apologies in advance for dredging up this thread but I had a thought this morning while sitting on the crapper. Does Geno leave if Hopkins is still on the staff? I suppose my question is less about Geno than it is about the dynamic on the coaching staff now that Hopkins has gone to UW. We've heard in the past that Hopkins played good cop to Boeheim's bad cop. That he smoothed over lots of problems in the background that could have poisoned team chemistry. I wonder if there is anyone on the staff that has taken up (or is capable of taking up) that responsibility? We've all heard that Boeheim has softened in his old age but he's still can be difficult as his pressers attest. I can't imagine it's easy for him dealing with these young kids every day anyway. I hope there are still some folks around to keep the frustrations of both Boeheim and the players under control.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that was Hopkins' second-most important role (after recruiting).

Can Hop stop Geno from getting hurt and missing most of training camp?

Wow, just read the article. Could nobody on the staff talk him out of this or did he just go awol and dipped? Sounds like it was an impulsive decision from being frustrated. We aren't even in conference play yet. The UCONN game showed the world he would be a key contributor once healed and we are in the thick of conference play. Good luck to Geno -- but unless that ankle was not going to heal all year, this sounds like a move he could really regret, unless he was just totally unhappy at Cuse. The fact his father hasn't really heard from him and doesn't understand why he did it is eye opening. Very unfortunate. From a team standpoint, we could have used the scholly on someone that was all in for the team. Now we are going to live and die with basically 2 guards, one who still frightens the heck out of me against quicker/pressure guards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom