Georgetown Hires Ewing as Head Coach | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Hires Ewing as Head Coach

Patrick has paid his dues and earned a chance to be a HC. I think he wanted it in the NBA, but for some reason that I do not understand, he never seemed to get a real opportunity at that level. The NBA seems to still have prejudice against large black dudes in coaching and management. You would think that would be in the past.

I have mixed feelings about Patrick. As a Cuse fan he was hated enemy #1. As a Knick fan, he was the man, and probably would have earned multiple titles if not for MJ.

All in all, regardless of team affiliations there is no denying Patrick's work ethic, tenacity, and toughness.

He deserves this opportunity, and I hope he does well, so that when we beat up on his GTown teams it will mean something.

Patrick has paid his dues and earned a chance to be a HC. I think he wanted it in the NBA, but for some reason that I do not understand, he never seemed to get a real opportunity at that level. The NBA seems to still have prejudice against large black dudes in coaching and management. You would think that would be in the past.

I have mixed feelings about Patrick. As a Cuse fan he was hated enemy #1. As a Knick fan, he was the man, and probably would have earned multiple titles if not for MJ.

All in all, regardless of team affiliations there is no denying Patrick's work ethic, tenacity, and toughness.

He deserves this opportunity, and I hope he does well, so that when we beat up on his GTown teams it will mean something.
You're right, he has paid his dues. This is far from a bad hire for them, IMO, and should re-energize their fan base. I have to believe Big John had a lot to do with this hire, and if nothing else, it will allow him to continue to exert great influence over the program.

I know this won't necessarily be popular on here -- but I grew up a Knicks fan -- a huge Knicks fan -- especially mid/late 80s - 90s. Needless to say I am a Patrick Ewing fan who is disgusted that the Knicks couldn't bring him back in some capacity. I am very happy for him.

For the non-nba watching crowd ... Ewing is well respected as a coach and was working his way up the ladder. Going to be interesting to see how he does in college but he's a solid coach.

But yes, Georgetown sucks.

As a Knick fan, he was the man, and probably would have earned multiple titles if not for MJ.

In fairness, he did have two years sans-MJ in 1994 and 1995 in the prime of his career to get it done and they came up short.

Random thought: is Ewing the largest coach in NCAA history?
Well, if not the largest probably the most intimidating. Can you just see Frank giving him the mouth that he gave to Jimmy ???

In fairness, he did have two years sans-MJ in 1994 and 1995 in the prime of his career to get it done and they came up short.

I mean John Starks was my favorite player in the NBA growing up, but he was the best player Ewing ever played with in his prime.

That would be like Durant having his second best player be Ibaka or Iguodala. The Knicks never put a good enough roster around him until he was 35.

I know this won't necessarily be popular on here -- but I grew up a Knicks fan -- a huge Knicks fan -- especially mid/late 80s - 90s. Needless to say I am a Patrick Ewing fan who is disgusted that the Knicks couldn't bring him back in some capacity. I am very happy for him.

I am a big Knicks fan also, love everything he did for the knicks, hate the fact he is from Gtown, hope he is a giant flop as a hc.

For the past few years it has sounded like he was a highly respected assistant in the NBA that was on the cusp of making the jump to a head coaching spot. I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to make it or if GTown is really a "dream job" for him.

Hate to see him leave the Hornets.

Patrick has paid his dues and earned a chance to be a HC ...

... All in all, regardless of team affiliations there is no denying Patrick's work ethic, tenacity, and toughness.

Nails it. I couldn't say it better.

I'll root for Ewing to do well enough to get an NBA job somewhere soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom