Georgetown Hires Ewing as Head Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Georgetown Hires Ewing as Head Coach

I know this won't necessarily be popular on here -- but I grew up a Knicks fan -- a huge Knicks fan -- especially mid/late 80s - 90s. Needless to say I am a Patrick Ewing fan who is disgusted that the Knicks couldn't bring him back in some capacity. I am very happy for him.
I got to SU a year after he finished at Georgetown. So, no animus from me. Congrats to him—he's done a lot for New York, and always represented himself well off-court, as far as i know.

Thoughts:
1. Hiring Ewing should pay quick dividends in recruiting big men. What HS big man wouldn't love the opportunity to be coached up by Ewing?
2. Style change likely, the return to thug ball. It's what Ewing knows was successful from his days there.
3. Will be interesting to see how he fares as a bench coach during games.

I know there are a lot of Ewing fans here but if I were a Georgetown fan I'd be depressed today. Even more so than any other day (which is saying a lot).

He's never been a head coach before. He's never coached at the college level before. He was a Hall of Fame player and happened to play for Georgetown. Is that enough to qualify him for a job like this?

Thoughts:
1. Hiring Ewing should pay quick dividends in recruiting big men. What HS big man wouldn't love the opportunity to be coached up by Ewing?
2. Style change likely, the return to thug ball. It's what Ewing knows was successful from his days there.

Its possible, but f your a top big man and Coach K, Pitino, Boeheim are recruiting you, why would you go to Gtown? To an unproven coach?

Its possible, but f your a top big man and Coach K, Pitino, Boeheim are recruiting you, why would you go to Gtown? To an unproven coach?

Jesus. Short memory much? He is a hall of fame player who by all accounts should have gotten a head job already.

And Hopkins sound familiar?

Thoughts:

As far as #3, if he actually runs his own huddles during timeouts, he'll already be ahead of Mullin

I know there are a lot of Ewing fans here but if I were a Georgetown fan I'd be depressed today. Even more so than any other day (which is saying a lot).

He's never been a head coach before. He's never coached at the college level before. He was a Hall of Fame player and happened to play for Georgetown. Is that enough to qualify him for a job like this?

I admit I grew up being a Knicks fan, but like Hopkins he has paid his dues and been an assistant in the NBA for years. I know he has zero expierience recruiting, but at least he's been an understudy of the Van Gundy's. This is better than St. John's hiring Mullin who had zero expierience coaching.

Why should he have gotten a head job already?

Why did Kevin Ollie get the UConn job? He was less expierienced and people stick up for UConn all the time in this board.

Why did Kevin Ollie get the UConn job? He was less expierienced and people stick up for UConn all the time in this board.
The Ollie hire surprised me but at least he spent two years as a UConn assistant coach while learning from Jim Calhoun before being promoted.

Why should he have gotten a head job already?

Because CuseFaninVT says so, that's why.

He never had an offer or any serious interest from any pro team, any college team or any AAU team, for that matter.

He was selected because he is the only candidate John Thompson Jr would support. He's the only candidate that is beholden to Big John for his getting the job. He's the only candidate that will take and execute the orders of Big John. He's a freakin puppet and if you don't understand that, you don't get it.

The University had no choice but to hire Ewing. As with his son's tenure, Big John makes the decisions at Georgetown.

Because CuseFaninVT says so, that's why.

He never had an offer or any serious interest from any pro team, any college team or any AAU team, for that matter.

He was selected because he is the only candidate John Thompson Jr would support. He's the only candidate that is beholden to Big John for his getting the job. He's the only candidate that will take and execute the orders of Big John. He's a freakin puppet and if you don't understand that, you don't get it.

The University had no choice but to hire Ewing. As with his son's tenure, Big John makes the decisions at Georgetown.

Why doesn't Big John just coach then?

Why doesn't Big John just coach then?

Well, let's see.

He attended every practice while his son was coach.

He was on the sidelines at every game.

He was in the locker room at half time giving direction to the players.

He draws a salary at Georgetown and has an office there.

He chose his successor, Craig Esherick, his assistant. He chose Esherick's successor, his son. Now he's engineered another coach into the position that is beholden to him for his job.

Why bother with being just the coach? He's Jerry Jones.

Well, let's see.

He attended every practice while his son was coach.

He was on the sidelines at every game.

He was in the locker room at half time giving direction to the players.

He draws a salary at Georgetown and has an office there.

He chose his successor, Craig Esherick, his assistant. He chose Esherick's successor, his son. Now he's engineered another coach into the position that is beholden to him for his job.

Why bother with being just the coach? He's Jerry Jones.

Why doesn't Georgetown just cut the John Thompson cord?

Ewing makes no sense, except for Thompson. Has he ever recruited anyone? Yikes, talk about rolling the dice on the future of your program.

Why doesn't Georgetown just cut the John Thompson cord?

Ewing makes no sense, except for Thompson. Has he ever recruited anyone? Yikes, talk about rolling the dice on the future of your program.

They can't.

The President loves him. The press either likes him or is intimidated by him.

Many want to. But he is too strong, too burrowed in, and no body has the guts to take him on.

There is no buzz whatsoever around the Hoya program right now in and around DC. Hiring Ewing will excite people, and will probably drive up season ticket sales. Its a good business decision to hire him. He's been an NBA assistant for 14 years, he knows the game.

You do realize he's a highly-regarded, long-time NBA assistant coach, right?

Georgetown has been to one Final Four in the past 30 years, and if they aren't playing a marquee opponent, the Verizon Center is a morgue. I don't think this job is as prestigious as you describe. I think this is a smart hire for them.

There is no buzz whatsoever around the Hoya program right now in and around DC. Hiring Ewing will excite people, and will probably drive up season ticket sales. Its a good business decision to hire him. He's been an NBA assistant for 14 years, he knows the game.

Knows the game? Who cares if he "knows the game".

In a few minutes we will be watching two guys that know how to coach a college basketball team.

Knows the game? Who cares if he "knows the game".

In a few minutes we will be watching two guys that know how to coach a college basketball team.

So Georgetown can only hire coaches who on are the level of Roy Williams or Mark Few? Seems reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom