Get ready | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Get ready

Fine, Clawson sucks, and just lucks into talent
If clawson is what you are striving for then so be it. He’s good solid coach. About .500 with 70% of his kids coming from the Carolinas and the DMV.. He’s about a .500 coach. Not sure it works at Syracuse

The more I think about it, the more I’m ok with Fran continuing at Georgia through playoff. He’s clearly working his ass off for Syracuse recruiting and working behind the scenes on his staff. Given that, having the cache of coaching Georgia for the playoffs only helps. Plus, bowl practice scheduling is way lighter.

Fla St. and Cuse both in the ACC. Colorado is Prime. Play for your mentor in the same conference as the top school recruiting you, or go for the conference favorite where you give up that familiarity and relationship? This kid has an interesting choice.

If it comes down to NIL, well...

What are you even talking about? He gave you at least 3 examples
What I’m talking about is of the 3, Marrone is the only one who did it here and he was a .500 coach. Clawson, another one named is another .500 coach that didn’t coach here. Patterson has the advantage of being in Texas which is one of the most fertile recruiting hotbeds in the country where the B listers are often better than Northeast A listers.

Of the list, the only coach who was very successful and didn’t rely on being in a recruiting hotbed was Peterson, who’s the cliche exception I was referring to.

Our measure of success shouldn’t be .500, under any scenario. Does that make sense to you now?

I didn’t say he wasn’t. But other than one year 8 is the ceiling.

You’ve made my point, it only gets you so far and then the injuries kick in, which happens almost every year with them.
You don’t have the depth because generally speaking higher graded recruits are more physically able to contribute early. Without at least some of them you will fall into the trap of either not having options or pushing players ahead of them being physically ready to fill in for injuries.

Recruiters who are working at Georgia, Texas a&m, Colorado and Michigan. These cats are working at big programs to so presumably they can also coach.
They have so many advisers or whatever you call them these big schools it's hard to figure out.

What I’m talking about is of the 3, Marrone is the only one who did it here and he was a .500 coach. Clawson, another one named is another .500 coach that didn’t coach here. Patterson has the advantage of being in Texas which is one of the most fertile recruiting hotbeds in the country where the B listers are often better than Northeast A listers.

Of the list, the only coach who was very successful and didn’t rely on being in a recruiting hotbed was Peterson, who’s the cliche exception I was referring to.

Our measure of success shouldn’t be .500, under any scenario. Does that make sense to you now?
No, it doesn't make sense. The question wasn't 'what coach existing outside of a recruiting hotbed has won as many games as Peterson at Boise'. It was examples of coaches who are capable of elevating low level talent with scheme

What’s hard to figure out? The rumors of Robinson, Partridge and Williams they are all on field coaches. Not advisors or analysts.
They have a staff working for them, have you seen many people are on the sidelines these big schools? There's so much support and you're coaching the best talent.

Guys who are realistic, would be Doug Marrone, Bronco, Candle, Tom Herman, Cignetti. Truth be told, it's hard to know who'd be interested, but I woulda like more head coaching or legit p5 offensive coordinators. Imo offense is the way to go when making a hire, defense can work, but id prefer offense. Honestly, a guy like Tommy Rees could be a hot commodity in a year or two. I think young innovative offense is the way to go if you wanna take a chance on an up and comer.
Why anyone wants Doug Marrone back is just shocking to me. The guy left us high and dry. He was exciting because he could have been a cuse lifer and was the OC w the Saints with Drew Brees and crew.

Bronco is a west coast guy.

Candle - would have liked him as well

Tom Herman - just another re-tread to me. Had one good year at Houston and failed at UT (although with ridiculous expectations)

Cignetti - no disagreement, would have been solid as well

No, it doesn't make sense. The question wasn't 'what coach existing outside of a recruiting hotbed has won as many games as Peterson at Boise'. It was examples of coaches who are capable of elevating low level talent with scheme
Correct. And when you drill into the examples you have 2 coaches who have .500 records at the P5 level (Clawson and Marrone) and I don’t view a .500 record at Syracuse now as a measure of success. You then have Gary Patterson at TCU that coaches in a recruiting hotbed and is a bad example of a coach doing more with less. Finally you have Peterson at Boise who is a great example but he’s a unicorn.

Last edited:
IMG_9069.jpeg

Chillin on the UGA sideline. Hopefully Melo will cut a check to Coach Fran before he leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom