Get ready | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Get ready

No, and likely won't.

HOWEVER

We weren't even on this cats radar until Fran was hired and he is announcing on 12/19

Final 3 are FSU, Colorado, and Cuse

Fran and ER get him up for a visit in next two weeks, who knows?

This kid is a level of prospect we haven't even gotten a courtesy sniff from in decades.

Oh man thank you for introducing me to the phrase “courtesy sniff”

What point are you trying to make here?

You have seen a movie where Syracuse hired the best recruiter in the country as its HC?

Are you trying to say that the discussion about the new staff is all talk and none of it is true?

I get you are trying to be hip and cool but at least try and make it clear what you are sick of watching.
I would imagine he means top recruiters have been hired at other schools, and flopped hard. Ed Oregon at Ole Miss was similar, in the sense he was a career position coach who could recruit... Didn't work. You can say same thing about Payne in basketball. Coaching takes a lot more than recruiting. Truth be told, not super impressed with reported oc from Giants. That offense is Daboll making Tommy D look solid. Really wish we went with a seasoned play caller, not a mostly first timer, who had a short stint as co oc. This board gets overly hyped on recruiting, but scheme and coaching is far more important imo. Hoping it works out with Coach Brown, but its okay to question his moves. It'll play out, we all want a winner, we all just believe in different routes to obtain it.

No, and likely won't.

HOWEVER

We weren't even on this cats radar until Fran was hired and he is announcing on 12/19

This kid is a level of prospect we haven't even gotten a courtesy sniff from in decades.

Where did you see this kid suddenly put Syracuse in his top three?

I would imagine he means top recruiters have been hired at other schools, and flopped hard. Ed Oregon at Ole Miss was similar, in the sense he was a career position coach who could recruit... Didn't work. You can say same thing about Payne in basketball. Coaching takes a lot more than recruiting. Truth be told, not super impressed with reported oc from Giants. That offense is Daboll making Tommy D look solid. Really wish we went with a seasoned play caller, not a mostly first timer, who had a short stint as co oc. This board gets overly hyped on recruiting, but scheme and coaching is far more important imo. Hoping it works out with Coach Brown, but its okay to question his moves. It'll play out, we all want a winner, we all just believe in different routes to obtain it.
On what planet are scheme and coaching far more important? Maybe in the NFL where there is a salary cap and the talent margin is pretty small. But if you are behind with the roster there are very few coaches that are going to take a lesser roster and do much better than .500. In any one game a scrappy bunch of well coached underdogs can spring an upset, but most the time they are going to lose.

Job one, close the talent gap. I think Nixon has a weak resume, but at this point, I just don’t care.

Happy Surprise GIF by ALDI FRANCE

On what planet are scheme and coaching far more important? Maybe in the NFL where there is a salary cap and the talent margin is pretty small. But if you are behind with the roster there are very few coaches that are going to take a lesser roster and do much better than .500. In any one game a scrappy bunch of well coached underdogs can spring an upset, but most the time they are going to lose.

Job one, close the talent gap. I think Nixon has a weak resume, but at this point, I just don’t care.
Talk to Chris Petersen at Boise. He must've had top talent when he was smacking around power 5 teams, or Gary Patterson at TCU before moving to Big 12. Heck, did Cheney at Holy Cross have equal talent to BC and Army? There's countless examples, we even have a huge example, Doug Marrone. He maximized talent, with scheme and coaching.

Talk to Chris Petersen at Boise. He must've had top talent when he was smacking around power 5 teams, or Gary Patterson at TCU before moving to Big 12. Heck, did Cheney at Holy Cross have equal talent to BC and Army? There's countless examples, we even have a huge example, Doug Marrone. He maximized talent, with scheme and coaching.
Boise‘s didn’t play 8 or 10 of those games a year. Petersen did a great job of building a top 22 that could compete with anyone. If 100% healthy SU this year could go toe to toe with any team in the league. Dino did a good job of improving the roster. But it doesn’t work that way.

What happened to UCF and Houston this year?

Holy cross lost both of those games.

As for Doug, like I said not much better than .500. ‘11 is an example where they couldn’t get through a season. In ‘12 SU outplayed Rutgers but still lost because Rutgers had better speed and size on defense and made a couple of plays.

By your standard Dino should still be here for how they played Clemson most years and those last play losses to FSU and Wake in ‘21.

The problem with SU the last couple of years hasn’t been scheme and coaching, it’s been the roster degrading through the year. Fundamental issue is the team needs more better players.

Last edited:
No, and likely won't.

HOWEVER

OK great, but we will need to land these kids, not just get invited to the dance.

OK great, but we will need to land these kids, not just get invited to the dance.

You have to be invited before you can land them. The coaching change has started getting us invited that is step 1.

Boise‘s didn’t play 8 or 10 of those games a year. Petersen did a great job of building a top 22 that could compete with anyone. If 100% healthy SU this year could go toe to toe with any team in the league. Dino did a good job of improving the roster. But it doesn’t work that way.

As for Doug, like I said not much better than .500. ‘11 is an example where they couldn’t get through a season. In ‘12 SU outplayed Rutgers but still lost because Rutgers had better speed and size on defense and made a couple of plays.

By your standard Dino should still be here for how they played Clemson most years and those last play losses to FSU and Wake in ‘21.

The problem with SU the last couple of years hasn’t been scheme and coaching, it’s been the roster degrading through the year. Fundamental issue is the team needs more better players.
Dave Clawson must be racking in big time talent at Wake. Clearly we're not gonna agree, but theirs countless examples of coaches who can scheme lesser talent. FSU brought in stellar talent for years, along with Texas and both highly underperformed up to this year. Coaching is much more important than you are making it out to be.

And as for Chesney losing, he should've been smashed based on recruiting talent. He kept it close, is a testament to coaching.

This isn't a Chesney endorsement either. I want a coach with a mix of coaching/ scheme and recruiting. We're not getting top guys, but couldn't it be someone with a 50 50 resume between recruiting and coaching

Last edited:
Dave Clawson must be racking in big time talent at Wake. Clearly we're not gonna agree, but theirs countless examples of coaches who can scheme lesser talent. FSU brought in stellar talent for years, along with Texas and both highly underperformed up to this year. Coaching is much more important than you are making it out to be.
They‘ve had one double digit win season In ‘21. Other than that it’s 8 -5 and 7-6 for the most part, or one game or two games above .500, which is exactly what I said.

And he’s had some very good to excellent Qb play. It’s not like he’s knocking out 9 win seasons constantly.

Of course coaching is important, especially not have horrible leaders. lf the goal is to have a scrappy, plucky bunch of overachievers, that can get 6, 7, 8 wins the sure Wake is the model. That’s one game better than where Dino pretty much had the program.

They‘ve had one double digit win season In ‘21. Other than that it’s 8 -5 and 7-6 for the most part, or one game or two games above .500, which is exactly what I said.

And he’s had some very good to excellent Qb play. It’s not like he’s knocking out 9 win seasons constantly.

Of course coaching is important, especially not have horrible leaders. lf the goal is to have a scrappy, plucky bunch of overachievers, that can get 6, 7, 8 wins the sure Wake is the model. That’s one game better than where Dino pretty much had the program.
Lol, it's Wake. They are dumpster trash most of the time. He is an exceptional coach. We would be so lucky to win 8 games a year, even with McNabb we won 8 games with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom