Get to the dome this Saturday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Get to the dome this Saturday

it's the most pathetic of the 100 of Syracuse football stats that prove our ineptness.

Scooch, do you know if we even received receiving votes in that same time period. I want to say no. That's beyond laughable.

We were actually really close at one point in both 2010 and 2011 (after WVU).

Im in the camp of watching on my phone at my kids games Saturdays.
Better off just putting the phone away. I've been there and done that. Constantly checking the phone - sometimes discreetly - just takes away from watching your kids. DVR is your friend. If SU loses or generally disappoints you can just hit delete when you get home and be glad you didn't suffer through 3 hours of live torture. Also when possible use airplane mode if you really want to avoid friends texting you with score updates.

See above.
Yes, read it. Thanks.
I have ardently supported Shafer until now. With the total collapse of both offense and defense I just don see what another year will really prove. All of the common sense issues that were raised as valid criticisms have been borne out in my view. He hired his buddies and they just aren't up to the task. To me they will never get us to the top 25, which is my only expectation. Wish it were not so.

Other than the somewhat arbitrary temporal notion of 4 years, is their some OBJECTIVE metric you would point to as the basis for your position? Of course, if it is just a subjective view that is fine also.
I think we all can agree that the longer he is coaching, the better an understanding we have about how good of a coach he is. That includes recruiting , prep, games, classwork. Some said they knew enough before he was hired because he was not a head coach before. Some waited a game. Some waited 1,2,3 years. Some want to wait until his contract has ended and a full 4-year recruiting cycle is complete. It's not a science. It's all subjective.

I think we all can agree that the longer he is coaching, the better an understanding we have about how good of a coach he is. That includes recruiting , prep, games, classwork. Some said they knew enough before he was hired because he was not a head coach before. Some waited a game. Some waited 1,2,3 years. Some want to wait until his contract has ended and a full 4-year recruiting cycle is complete. It's not a science. It's all subjective.
Yes and no. At this stage it is reasonable to look at all the metrics to determine if we are getting better or getting worse. I would have easily accepted 3-9 if I could point to some objective criteria to demonstrate progress. Unfortunately, all metrics are down and headed lower. We really are the worst team in the ACC at the moment and that just doesn't merit more time. A little progress next year would not prove anything.

it's the most pathetic of the 100 of Syracuse football stats that prove our ineptness.

Scooch, do you know if we even received receiving votes in that same time period. I want to say no. That's beyond laughable.
Yes, SU received votes.

FrancoPizza said:
Better off just putting the phone away. I've been there and done that. Constantly checking the phone - sometimes discreetly - just takes away from watching your kids. DVR is your friend. If SU loses or generally disappoints you can just hit delete when you get home and be glad you didn't suffer through 3 hours of live torture. Also when possible use airplane mode if you really want to avoid friends texting you with score updates.
Im to the point now that i am so numb from this program that im not as disappointed as i would have been 10 years ago that i have to miss a lot of the game. I never use dvr and will just roll with the punches and see what happens. Im expecting the game will be long over before halftime

Last three.

Year 1 - First in ACC with GMCdonald. Hired obviously hoping to elevate the recruiting and hold on for offense. Bowl Win
Year 2 - Second in ACC Gmac obviously cant call plays under pressure, however the speed spread offense is gaining yards. But we cant have an OC that cant call a red zone play. Hunt Hurt halfway through and we get AJ Long.

Year 3 - New OC, Hunt back great. Good things to follow. Boom Hunt hurt. Now we have another Freshman. Albeit a star in the making a freshman. The offense actually is producing some big plays but now our defense has fallen off a little. Certainly some technique issues, but again awfully young. But we hold on to win our first three and hang in there with a 5th string walk on against LSU. Then we lose to USF. Ill give in to that bad loss for sure. Against VA. In it to the end. I think with Hunt by the way we win both games. Then lose to FSU NO SHITE. Then last week to Louisville. And I am sure this week to Clemson. Tell me where its so far off the rails due to shafer.

I personally believe that the talent is getting better. Albeit young. No one can tell if the reserves are better as they haven't signed yet (2016 class).

Im done trying to really to make a point. You guys are clearly experts and are certain that another coach that wants to try to go speed for speed with the ACC is gonna work. I believe the best way to get to that ranking and 9 win seasons is to have some consistency in the program. Now that being said I have said all along if this goes on for a nother season then now we have a tangible reason to make some moves. I hope all you guys that are so negative and want shafer gone still go the games. the kids deserve it.
Syracuse is in the triple digits in ranking for both offense and defense. I didn't even think that was possible without purposely tanking. And there's no tanking in college sports so there you have.

Shafer is Gerg.

Everything Marrone built in his short tenure is now gone. We're back to 2005-2009. Just with more talented players. The scheming and player development is just as bad now as it was then. Maybe even worse if I dare say it.

Why do you think everyone who wants Shafer gone is negative? I'm Positive Pete because I can't wait for the Dino Babers Era to begin!

Syracuse is in the triple digits in ranking for both offense and defense. I didn't even think that was possible without purposely tanking. And there's no tanking in college sports so there you have.

Shafer is Gerg.

Everything Marrone built in his short tenure is now gone. We're back to 2005-2009. Just with more talented players. The scheming and player development is just as bad now as it was then. Maybe even worse if I dare say it.

Why do you think everyone who wants Shafer gone is negative? I'm Positive Pete because I can't wait for the Dino Babers Era to begin!

Yes, I think we are at gerg status at this point for sure. Expecting the psu game redux from 2008 on Saturday. Although I think Mahoney will make a couple plays

xc84 said:
I think it speaks for itself. Yes, our circumstance is maybe the most challenging of them all.

I disagree. Temple? UConn? New Mexico?

No offense to Hunt, but suggesting this year's team is better with him at QB instead of Dungey is a leap I am not willing to make.

I don't blame Shafer for the McDonald experiment failing, but he gets 100% of the blame for promoting Lester and letting him install whatever it is that he is running out there each week.

Get frustrated with me for not wanting to give this offense time to grow, but I think I've seen enough.

In the era we are talking about, BC has replaced two Heisman finalists, and a very good HC who was fired by a moron AD, and had better results...and oh by the way, they have tougher admissions standards to deal with, made the jump to the tougher ACC earlier, and have crappy facilities.

Full_Rebar said:
In the era we are talking about, BC has replaced two Heisman finalists, and a very good HC who was fired by a moron AD, and had better results...and oh by the way, they have tougher admissions standards to deal with, made the jump to the tougher ACC earlier, and have crappy facilities.

But they have Boston as a backdrop to help recruit. And this weekend, they're playing ND at Fenway Park.

cuseguy said:
But they have Boston as a backdrop to help recruit. And this weekend, they're playing ND at Fenway Park.

Boston doesn't help their hoops recruiting a lick.

Coaches recruit.

Scooch said:
Boston doesn't help their hoops recruiting a lick. Coaches recruit.

BC
1. Hockey
2. Football
3. Basketball

cuseguy said:
BC 1. Hockey 2. Football 3. Basketball

Yes, agreed.

Boston doesn't recruit for hockey, the coach does.

Scooch said:
Yes, agreed. Boston doesn't recruit for hockey, the coach does.

I get what you're saying, and I agree, but it doesn't hurt to use Boston as a selling point.

Yes, I think we are at gerg status at this point for sure. Expecting the psu game redux from 2008 on Saturday. Although I think Mahoney will make a couple plays

If Shafer does the ridiculous boxing routine that Robinson did before the game, I officially quit watching college football for good...

Im to the point now that i am so numb from this program that im not as disappointed as i would have been 10 years ago that i have to miss a lot of the game. I never use dvr and will just roll with the punches and see what happens. Im expecting the game will be long over before halftime
I just went and watched 1992 cuse/Colorado fiesta bowl...go watch that and think about what we have now.

Yes, read it. Thanks.
I have ardently supported Shafer until now. With the total collapse of both offense and defense I just don see what another year will really prove. All of the common sense issues that were raised as valid criticisms have been borne out in my view. He hired his buddies and they just aren't up to the task. To me they will never get us to the top 25, which is my only expectation. Wish it were not so.
The record is one thing. The idiotic coaching another. I can take losing

AZOrange said:
I just went and watched 1992 cuse/Colorado fiesta bowl...go watch that and think about what we have now.

I have and its like driving an audi vs driving a yugo

We've got some great youngsters running on the field every game and have reason for optimism, though the time-frame isn't at all clear. They run on the field wearing Syracuse uniforms and I feel a bond with them. I will be there screaming from my seat, honored to share the day with many of you and especially the team, including players, coaches, administrators, dome staff, etc. I was there for Nebraska and hope to bring some of that karma with me...LGO!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom