Giants and Bills | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Giants and Bills

Don't worry Tom. They are losers. You know how I know they are losers? They went to a pre-season NFL game. Not only did they go, but they paid money for it. Not only that, they likely drove to it, and also spent money on hotels, gas, etc.
they were there to see andre reed get inducted and have a great time at a museum. might as well watch the game while you're there

the problem with marrone and whaley is that they pretend like they are sure that he doesn't stink. they're so sure about him they know they won't have to replace him next year (no first rounder next year)

which is nuts. but they don't give a because if he stinks, they're gone. this is why you need a real owner to put the kibosh on stuff like this.

The Dougs certainly are backing EJ 100% probably because they don't believe it's time to rattle his confidence yet. They took him knowing he was raw and was going to take some time to develop. I don't think they even wanted to start him last season until it became obvious that Kolb's head is one hit away from being mush.

Sure the Bills gave up next years 1st but they got a HUGE talent in Sammy Watkins. A guy who is physically talented but also has the work ethic to become the best. He is about as sure-fire of a star as you can find in the draft. Also, there are a number of ways to bring in a possible QB1's besides your slotted first round pick in the draft. You can trade back into the first round and grab a guy that has slipped, like the Browns with Johnny Football or the Vikings with Bridgewater. Or you can trade away future picks for a QB that comes up on the trading block, or you can sign a veteran in free agency.

The Bills roster has made huge strides under Whaley and Marrone. I'm willing to see how things go before bringing out the pitchforks. If you don't get a franchise guy like Peyton or Luck to fall in your lap then you have to develop one. Guys like Big Ben, Eli, Flacco all took time and they were playing with much more talented rosters than the Bills put out there last season. If you identify a guy you think can be a franchise guy then you stick with him and stay the course.

That's what the Bills have decided to do. Will they be right? I don't know, but it's going to take time to get the final answer. Maybe not even until next season.

He's played in 10 regular season games and approx 3 preseason games. He's had his good moments and bad moments, just like any other inexperienced QB in the NFL. It is way too early to declare that he stinks, lets see how it plays out.

Also he is not 4th round talent just because Mel Kiper and What His Nutz? say so.

I do agree that the Bills should have been taking QB's in those rounds you mentioned over the years. If the new front office and coaching staff stay around for awhile I hope they adopt a policy of taking QB's more often than the past few management teams did.

Ya ya. I get all that. I can't even read [prominent Bills board] anymore because it's chalk full of "Hey man he's young...preseason dude...overreact much?...Look at me and my voice of reason".
Mind you from all the same people who defended JP Loser to the death and never said "Damn I guess the 'haters' were right'". Not one.

I dunno man, I'm 34 and don't plan on seeing 134. I'm done with the "well he's young" and "the OL stinks" and "preseason" and "let me find another QB who struggled and turned out to be good to make me feel better". Just done with it. How has that been working out? I'm not out to get the guy but I don't need to work too hard to find that he's good. And from what I've seen so far, he's not any good. If it turns out I'm wrong then great - that'll be the second time in a dozen years I was wrong about a Bills QB. Mind you the first time wasn't when I was too pessimistic - it was when I actually believed Trent Edwards was going to be good. I'm not starting a campaign for Jeff Tuel to start or anything, so EJ is free to prove me wrong. I really hope he does.

The Dougs certainly are backing EJ 100% probably because they don't believe it's time to rattle his confidence yet. They took him knowing he was raw and was going to take some time to develop. I don't think they even wanted to start him last season until it became obvious that Kolb's head is one hit away from being mush.

Sure the Bills gave up next years 1st but they got a HUGE talent in Sammy Watkins. A guy who is physically talented but also has the work ethic to become the best. He is about as sure-fire of a star as you can find in the draft. Also, there are a number of ways to bring in a possible QB1's besides your slotted first round pick in the draft. You can trade back into the first round and grab a guy that has slipped, like the Browns with Johnny Football or the Vikings with Bridgewater. Or you can trade away future picks for a QB that comes up on the trading block, or you can sign a veteran in free agency.

The Bills roster has made huge strides under Whaley and Marrone. I'm willing to see how things go before bringing out the pitchforks. If you don't get a franchise guy like Peyton or Luck to fall in your lap then you have to develop one. Guys like Big Ben, Eli, Flacco all took time and they were playing with much more talented rosters than the Bills put out there last season. If you identify a guy you think can be a franchise guy then you stick with him and stay the course.

That's what the Bills have decided to do. Will they be right? I don't know, but it's going to take time to get the final answer. Maybe not even until next season.
great WR don't make your team good without a QB. i just look at the lions, browns, texans. they're hoping watkins is like aj green and manuel is like dalton. that's the best case, imo. and i wonder if even dalton is good enough. if that's the best case, you're better off leaving options open to find someone better at qb

the problem with marrone and whaley is that they pretend like they are sure that he doesn't stink. they're so sure about him they know they won't have to replace him next year (no first rounder next year)

which is nuts. but they don't give a because if he stinks, they're gone. this is why you need a real owner to put the kibosh on stuff like this.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame
Darling, you give love a bad name

An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven and put me through hell...

great WR don't make your team good without a QB. i just look at the lions, browns, texans. they're hoping watkins is like aj green and manuel is like dalton. that's the best case, imo. and i wonder if even dalton is good enough. if that's the best case, you're better off leaving options open to find someone better at qb

That's a fair take and I don't necessarily disagree with your strategy but you can't just pluck a franchise guy out of thin air. You have to be in position to get one. The Bills will not lose enough games this year to be in that top 3 picks range where the "guaranteed" franchise guys usually are. I mean hell, the Jags took Blake Bortles with the 3rd pick this year. So any given year even if you do have an early pick you're going to be looking at a QB that is going to take time to develop. Guys like Peyton and Luck are only sitting there once every decade. Anything beyond prospects like that, well then it's the luck of the draw. If the Bills need to replace EJ it's going to be with a guy that you have to be patient with again anyways so the franchise is back in 3 year plan mode yet again while they wait on the next guy to develop. That's why I don't see what the Bills did as a foolish gamble like some folks do. Ballsy? Sure. But even if EJ doesn't pan out its not crippling.

They believe they've got an Ace in Sammy, and if EJ ends up eventually hitting as a King then they've got a Black Jack.

I'd pray that he does but as a Bills fan I've already used up all my prayers.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame
Darling, you give love a bad name

An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven and put me through hell...

JBJ to Buffalo
i'll be there for you
these five words i swear to you
when you breathe i wanna be the air for you
i'lll be there for you

buffalo to JBJ
no one heard a single word you said
they should've seen it in your eyes
what was going round your head

That's a fair take and I don't necessarily disagree with your strategy but you can't just pluck a franchise guy out of thin air. You have to be in position to get one. The Bills will not lose enough games this year to be in that top 3 picks range where the "guaranteed" franchise guys usually are. I mean hell, the Jags took Blake Bortles with the 3rd pick this year. So any given year even if you do have an early pick you're going to be looking at a QB that is going to take time to develop. Guys like Peyton and Luck are only sitting there once every decade. Anything beyond prospects like that, well then it's the luck of the draw. If the Bills need to replace EJ it's going to be with a guy that you have to be patient with again anyways so the franchise is back in 3 year plan mode yet again while they wait on the next guy to develop. That's why I don't see what the Bills did as a foolish gamble like some folks do. Ballsy? Sure. But even if EJ doesn't pan out its not crippling.

They believe they've got an Ace in Sammy, and if EJ ends up eventually hitting as a King then they've got a Black Jack.

I'd pray that he does but as a Bills fan I've already used up all my prayers.
the time it takes to replace a QB is why I hate having to wait until 2016 to do it, if needed.

they're so scared of making a type I error (what if this guy is good and we get rid of him too soon. i don't have any examples of that for the bills, you gotta go back to lamonica) that they end up making type II errors all the time (losman, collins)

Don't worry Tom. They are losers. You know how I know they are losers? They went to a pre-season NFL game. Not only did they go, but they paid money for it. Not only that, they likely drove to it, and also spent money on hotels, gas, etc.

I'm sure, as a guy who dedicated so much of his life to football, that this makes Coughlin feel better.

Now, if you went the zubaz route, you'd be onto something. But like usual, you tried too hard.