Girard needs to come off bench | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Girard needs to come off bench

I did not watch the game last night but as I looked over the box score this morning I can easily see what the 2 problems were JG3

If the only indictment JB has on Kadary is “he can’t play 37mpg, he gets tired” ... but when he discusses Joe he says “he’s terrible on defense and took shots he shouldn’t have taken”. It seems clear to me where his head is at.

However I need to see it to believe it on Saturday

If the only indictment JB has on Kadary is “he can’t play 37mpg, he gets tired” ... but when he discusses Joe he says “he’s terrible on defense and took shots he shouldn’t have taken”. It seems clear to me where his head is at.

However I need to see it to believe it on Saturday

Carey/Girard
McCroskey/Devendorf
Wright/Flynn
Edwards/Autry
McCorkle/Moten

There’s quite a few examples of veterans either losing the starting job they had the previous season, or getting first crack at a for a few games, before the more talented freshman proves it and makes it obvious they should be the starter.

Its overall not even close with Kadary/Girard, IMO. Kadary is a better defender and is a better PG. Hes looking like one of those guys who makes everybody else better with his passing.

The exception being those times when Girard catches fire from 3. Making shots makes up for a lot of sins. He can still do that coming in off the bench, IMO.

plenty of blame to go around. but it would be nice if he could hit a jumper.

it's not bad loss at all. now we even have an excuse without 2 starters
I hear you, Rutgers had some good players and they were favored. But man that game felt winnable until they melted down at the end. We could be kicking ourselves for the missed opportunity later in the year...

I just don’t agree. I think he’s a terribly inefficient scorer and I’d point to the four games he’s had this year even that’s been a continuation of last year.

Kid had the greenest of green lights in a lower class high school and seems like he’s never broken out of that mindset.

his defense has always been bad. Giving him credit for being active, even if it’s essentially in vain, is a pretty low bar, imo.

The part I bolded is my concern also. It does seem like he has the same mindset as in high school and I was hoping to see some improvement in shot selection and playing smarter. Pretty much agree with your thoughts on his defense.

I hear you, Rutgers had some good players and they were favored. But man that game felt winnable until they melted down at the end. We could be kicking ourselves for the missed opportunity later in the year...

It was just weird how we went from rolling and taking the lead and having all the momentum...to being dead in the water and down 8. It was feeling like a game we were going to win for much of the second half. We were scoring pretty easily. Then we just couldn’t score at all at the most key times.

Girard’s 3 that I think lead to a runout the other way was a big one. If he had been lighting it up, you can live with that shot...but given how he’d shot and how the game was going - just not a good shot to take.

Another play was Griffin throwing it directly into like the one defender that was back, on a break. I have no idea what that was...did the ball slip? That was a missed opportunity and a momentum killer at that point too.

Those 2 gotta value possessions, better.

And if they’re both going to play like complete wild cards...IMO wild cards come off the bench and you sit them down when they’re killing you and ride them when they’re hot.

Id like to see some stretches of Kadary, Buddy, Woody, Quincy, Marek next game and see how we look. IMO, that could be a pretty steady and smart group that can get it done on both ends.

It was just weird how we went from rolling and taking the lead and having all the momentum...to being dead in the water and down 8. It was feeling like a game we were going to win for much of the second half. We were scoring pretty easily. Then we just couldn’t score at all at the most key times.

Girard’s 3 that I think lead to a runout the other way was a big one. If he had been lighting it up, you can live with that shot...but given how he’d shot and how the game was going - just not a good shot to take.

Another play was Griffin throwing it directly into like the one defender that was back, on a break. I have no idea what that was...did the ball slip? That was a missed opportunity and a momentum killer at that point too.

Those 2 gotta value possessions, better.

And if they’re both going to play like complete wild cards...IMO wild cards come off the bench and you sit them down when they’re killing you and ride them when they’re hot.

Id like to see some stretches of Kadary, Buddy, Woody, Quincy, Marek next game and see how we look. IMO, that could be a pretty steady and smart group that can get it done on both ends.

IMO, this is why Kadary needs to be the guy. Yes, he’s young, but for a good chunk of the game yesterday he was the best player on the court.

He also is calm and can break down defenses in the half court.

Joe is pressing/playing hero ball and AG is auditioning for the NBA. Let’s give control to Kadary and see where we go.

IMO, this is why Kadary needs to be the guy. Yes, he’s young, but for a good chunk of the game yesterday he was the best player on the court.

Joe is pressing/playing hero ball and AG is auditioning for the NBA. Let’s give control to Kadary and see where we go.

Big picture, he looked great as a PG. 7 assists, but some of his best passes were “hockey assists” or the guy got fouled or missed the shot. He’s just very impressive in knowing and seeing where the ball should go next.

That play where I think he jumped to catch a pass on the wing and instantly made a touch pass to the high post for a hoop, while the defense was scrambling was a great example.

The play a couple games ago where he got a loose ball near mid court and instantly turned and put an alley oop on the money is another example.

Kid’s court vision and court sense and unselfishness are top notch and those things are unteachable IMO.

I have been a Joe supporter but Kadary needs to play...a lot. Another thing other than the obvious is every team has a guard that can deny and take advantage of Joe's handle and footspeed (lacking in both). Last year Hughes could bail us out and get the ball into the frontcourt. We have nobody like that on the team this year.

Big picture, he looked great as a PG. 7 assists, but some of his best passes were “hockey assists” or the guy got fouled or missed the shot. He’s just very impressive in knowing and seeing where the ball should go next.

That play where I think he jumped to catch a pass on the wing and instantly made a touch pass to the high post for a hoop, while the defense was scrambling was a great example.

The play a couple games ago where he got a loose ball near mid court and instantly turned and put an alley oop on the money is another example.

Kid’s court vision and court sense and unselfishness are top notch and those things are unteachable IMO.

He is impressive so far. He really has had very few "What are you doing??????""" moments for a freshman point guard and especially when you compare to other players on the team with more experiences.

I’ll repeat, not counting tonight’s numbers, for his career, he is:

<35% FG, <45% TS, <50% eFG

those numbers went down after tonight.

he is a wildly inefficient player who has a hot hand once in a great while and who should not be playing point guard.

this is fully ignoring his defense.
ELITE SHOOTER!!

Ok so what do we put the percentage chance that Joe starts over Kadary when Buddy is back? 98%? Higher?

What about that Joe logs more minutes than Kadary? 75%?
Unfortunately I think you are right.

Honestly, I am in the minority here but I did not mind the shots from Joe after we were up 65-62. Could we have gotten something better? Almost always is the answer. The one from 35 in transition that the announcer seemed to love, that was bad. There are like single digit players in the world that should take that shot and 2 of them are Steph Curry and Damian Lillard. The one off the curl, which seemed like a play, I thought was OK. The follow-up to it was the problem as it led to transition. But the shot itself? Eh. Looked like he rushed it a bit and was not fully squared up. We've run those plays for guards a lot. If he made that shot, taking our lead to 6, it would have been hailed as a huge dagger. Then the next one in front of our bench, was also a relatively open look sort of in a scrambling situation. Can't recall what the shot clock was, but it looked like he had a chance to drive off the head fake. Again, not the worst shot in the world, nor the best. What happened after this sequence makes these plays seem a lot worse than they were, imo.

The inability to guard transition and stop guards driving is the bigger issue in this game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Girard only playing 15-20mins, even less, maybe sometimes more depending the game. I never expected him to even play too much the first two years here. We must remember that. Last year, given the depth issues, was a surprise to all. He, all in all, completely outperformed expectations given the amount of playing time he wound up with. If his minutes are scaled back this year, all it does for me is align with what I expected to see when he first got here.

I think game shape is a big factor at the moment. Need him to get his endurance back up. We know the limitations. Those are not changing. But improvements can be made from an effort and cardiovascular standpoint and I expect to see those. He finished with 6 assists as well. Made some really nice passes in the second half. This is not me finding "silver lining" or trying to counter the net negative plays. Just simple facts.

I also expect to see a 4 guard rotation at the top of the zone. Already this year we have seen 5 guys play up top. We need to continue these rotations with Buddy back. We should see Buddy and Joe together for 5-10mpg tops (again game dependent). Too much roster flexibility this year to reduce our defensive ceiling so significantly for long periods of the game.

I have been a Joe supporter but Kadary needs to play...a lot. Another thing other than the obvious is every team has a guard that can deny and take advantage of Joe's handle and footspeed (lacking in both). Last year Hughes could bail us out and get the ball into the frontcourt. We have nobody like that on the team this year.

This. We need to see Kadary 30 minutes per game at a minimum. His ability to see the floor and create scoring opportunities is unmatched on our present team and more reminiscent of Sherman than anybody we've had in recent years.

As an aside, I'm tired of hearing excuses about our poor conditioning. COVID or not, these are near-20 year olds playing at a D1 level for a historic program and many of them even hope to make a career out of it.

Last edited:
Girard will get his last chance to start on Saturday, I can almost guarantee that. I too agree it should be Kadary and Buddy's back court though.

There is nothing wrong with Girard coming in off the bench and providing a spark. He is the guy who is quiet and has a mediocre couple games - then will get hot against a Duke or UNC, and you sit back and smile. You need those players.

I have to think if the crowd has anything to do with it. He seemed like a kid who would thrive off the noise and energy, granted everyone has to deal with it

We talked a lot about Girard's struggles in this. This is just kinda showing that when defenses can sell out on him and he's not making shots, he doesn't have any value out there. He will likely start shooting a little better (Has to if anything go up), but hard to see the defense and other things rounding a corner anytime soon.

I don't understand Boeheim. He will show 100% loyalty to some of his guys - we all saw that on full display with McNamara - but then rip into other guys (i.e. Roberson). Seems to me like he's giving Joe a pass. Don't get me wrong, I like Joe and want him to succeed (we all do). However, he clearly shouldn't be a starting point guard for a program like Syracuse.

I don't understand Boeheim. He will show 100% loyalty to some of his guys - we all saw that on full display with McNamara - but then rip into other guys (i.e. Roberson). Seems to me like he's giving Joe a pass. Don't get me wrong, I like Joe and want him to succeed (we all do). However, he clearly shouldn't be a starting point guard for a program like Syracuse.

He did say this about Joe so we'll see what comes of it

He did say this about Joe so we'll see what comes of it

Yeah, I agree that's better than just sticking his head in the sand. What's frustrating to me though is keeping him in the game as long as he did last night while seeing the liability that he is on BOTH sides of the court. Last year, I get it. This year, we have other options.

Yeah, I agree that's better than just sticking his head in the sand. What's frustrating to me though is keeping him in the game as long as he did last night while seeing the liability that he is on BOTH sides of the court. Last year, I get it. This year, we have other options.

I very much agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom