Girard needs to come off bench | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Girard needs to come off bench

Girard’s 3 that I think lead to a runout the other way was a big one. If he had been lighting it up, you can live with that shot...but given how he’d shot and how the game was going - just not a good shot to take.
I might get crucified for saying this, but I was perfectly fine with Joe’s first missed 3-pt attempt at roughly the 4:57 mark when we were up by 3. It wasn’t early in the shot clock (we had worked it down to :10 when Joe let it fly), and although it was deep, it was a clean look - the defender didn’t even get a hand up to bother Joe. My problem is with the terrible transition defense after the miss. Joe has to be better at stopping the ball, he can’t allow the guy to drive straight to the rim and draw a foul that easily.

I thought Joe’s 2nd missed 3-pt attempt on the next possession (which led to another fast break) was a little more questionable. But if we defend better in transition on that one as well, we don’t give up an uncontested dunk.

Given JB’s post-game comments, I believe he’s going to have Joe on a much shorter leash going forward.

I might get crucified for saying this, but I was perfectly fine with Joe’s first missed 3-pt attempt at roughly the 4:57 mark when we were up by 3. It wasn’t early in the shot clock (we had worked it down to :10 when Joe let it fly), and although it was deep, it was a clean look - the defender didn’t even get a hand up to bother Joe. My problem is with the terrible transition defense after the miss. Joe has to be better at stopping the ball, he can’t allow the guy to drive straight to the rim and draw a foul that easily.

I thought Joe’s 2nd missed 3-pt attempt on the next possession (which led to another fast break) was a little more questionable. But if we defend better in transition on that one as well, we don’t give up an uncontested dunk.

Given JB’s post-game comments, I believe he’s going to have Joe on a much shorter leash going forward.

We just don’t need to live and die with him bombing this year. He shouldn’t be in a position to go 1-10 or whatever going forward. We’ve got a better PG and a couple better perimeter shooters, plus some talented and experienced front court scorers.

Side note: if Quincy is playing like that, we’ve gotta keep going to him. He was incredible in the second half. He should’ve been who we were looking to get the ball to down the stretch. 9 shot attempts wasn’t enough.

Girard will get his last chance to start on Saturday, I can almost guarantee that. I too agree it should be Kadary and Buddy's back court though.

There is nothing wrong with Girard coming in off the bench and providing a spark. He is the guy who is quiet and has a mediocre couple games - then will get hot against a Duke or UNC, and you sit back and smile. You need those players.

I have to think if the crowd has anything to do with it. He seemed like a kid who would thrive off the noise and energy, granted everyone has to deal with it
Absolutely right. NineOneSeven made a great point, too. Girard exceeded expectations last year in a role he’s not really built for. He’s capable of having great shooting nights, but hasn’t shown he’s a great shooter. Buddy is a great shooter.

He‘s ultra-competitive (although that hasn’t shown up this year - I also wonder about the lack of a crowd - he seemed to thrive on that energy more than anyone on last year’s team). He’s been a winner. He is a capable PG - we have a better option this year. He seems ideally suited to a role as 3rd guard - can play either position, can make an impact immediately if he’s on, and can shoot us right back into a game if we’re down.

He’s not GMac, but he’s a good player who is clearly a valuable rotation player. 15-20 minutes seems about right. His struggles will probably help the team long-term, because it forced JB to play Kadary. I think Girard will get another start or two, but Kadary is now clearly going to get significant minutes.

I presume in high school Girard was a volume shooter/scorer with a ball in his hand playing against mostly inferior athletes. Efficiency was unimportant. He was always the best option. Coming off the bench, he will have to spot up and make shots when he rotates to an open spot after penetration or when the ball swings to the weak side. Can he really play that role? - the spot-up shooter. Playing four years in Class B/C for local glory was fun but not what he needed to succeed at this level.

I presume in high school Girard was a volume shooter/scorer with a ball in his hand playing against mostly inferior athletes. Efficiency was unimportant. He was always the best option. Coming off the bench, he will have to spot up and make shots when he rotates to an open spot after penetration or when the ball swings to the weak side. Can he really play that role? - the spot-up shooter. Playing four years in Class B/C for local glory was fun but not what he needed to succeed at this level.

Lots of people acting like he didn't play EYBL and proved he could do exactly that at the highest level of play available to him

We just don’t need to live and die with him bombing this year. He shouldn’t be in a position to go 1-10 or whatever going forward. We’ve got a better PG and a couple better perimeter shooters, plus some talented and experienced front court scorers.

Side note: if Quincy is playing like that, we’ve gotta keep going to him. He was incredible in the second half. He should’ve been who we were looking to get the ball to down the stretch. 9 shot attempts wasn’t enough.
I agree - last year we needed Joe to bomb away at times, because we didn't really have a lot of options elsewhere. But this year, we should hopefully be able to rely more on guys like Quincy and Kadary (and maybe even Woody) to make some plays.

Joe's big challenge will be: Can he mature as a basketball player? Can he go from the HS kid who had carte blanche to fire away whenever and wherever - and grow into a college player who knows how to pick his spots but still get others involved, and who gives max effort on defense, regardless of whether his J is falling? He's a super-competitive kid, and a proven winner - I hope he's up to this challenge in front of him right now...

I agree - last year we needed Joe to bomb away at times, because we didn't really have a lot of options elsewhere. But this year, we should hopefully be able to rely more on guys like Quincy and Kadary (and maybe even Woody) to make some plays.

Joe's big challenge will be: Can he mature as a basketball player? Can he go from the HS kid who had carte blanche to fire away whenever and wherever - and grow into a college player who knows how to pick his spots but still get others involved, and who gives max effort on defense, regardless of whether his J is falling? He's a super-competitive kid, and a proven winner - I hope he's up to this challenge in front of him right now...
I think he can. I hope he responds.

JGIII is the worst defender at the top of the zone in 40 years of watching SU hoops. He doesn't get out on shooters behind the arc, he gets beat off dribble penetration into the lane way too often. I realize he has positives too like not turning the ball over much and range on his 3 pt shot. But his bad defense is a killer. When Buddy returns he should have his minutes reduced.

JGIII is the worst defender at the top of the zone in 40 years of watching SU hoops. He doesn't get out on shooters behind the arc, he gets beat off dribble penetration into the lane way too often. I realize he has positives too like not turning the ball over much and range on his 3 pt shot. But his bad defense is a killer. When Buddy returns he should have his minutes reduced.

Small sample size, but he has 14 turnovers in 4 games this season. Not great.

Yeah, we're not feeding Guerrier the ball enough inside.

I wonder what the psychological aspect is doing to JG3 at the moment...

COVID aside - which can be messing hard with anyone - he seems lethargic and not in top form.

Also, wonder how much of it is just simply thinking "what do I need to do to stay a starter?" realizing that he is in danger of becoming a bench player...and pressing as a result and it is effecting his play...

Lots of people acting like he didn't play EYBL and proved he could do exactly that at the highest level of play available to him
Never saw him play, but understanding AAU as well as I do, I'm guessing he wasn't showing out on the defensive end for City Rocks.

Never saw him play, but understanding AAU as well as I do, I'm guessing he wasn't showing out on the defensive end for City Rocks.

He wasn’t. He wasn’t a defensive stud in high school either. His knock was always his defense and JB knew that. People knew he would struggle at the top of the zone. I think JB hoped his competitive nature would overcome his defensive woes and it looked like last year there was a chance he could be right. But he’s showing no fire this year, couple that with his ice cold shooting and you get an irrelevent player

Absolutely right. NineOneSeven made a great point, too. Girard exceeded expectations last year in a role he’s not really built for. He’s capable of having great shooting nights, but hasn’t shown he’s a great shooter. Buddy is a great shooter.

He‘s ultra-competitive (although that hasn’t shown up this year - I also wonder about the lack of a crowd - he seemed to thrive on that energy more than anyone on last year’s team). He’s been a winner. He is a capable PG - we have a better option this year. He seems ideally suited to a role as 3rd guard - can play either position, can make an impact immediately if he’s on, and can shoot us right back into a game if we’re down.

He’s not GMac, but he’s a good player who is clearly a valuable rotation player. 15-20 minutes seems about right. His struggles will probably help the team long-term, because it forced JB to play Kadary. I think Girard will get another start or two, but Kadary is now clearly going to get significant minutes.
I still think Girard will get 15mpg at PG and 5-10 at SG spelling Buddy. Kadary should play at least 25 mpg, maybe more if he can show his ability to attack the basket and score off the bounce.

Last edited:
Queing the countdown for its own thread.

Surprised to hear that. I don't know anything advanced about basketball, but imo Why start going under the defense when you can go over? I had joey pegged 6th man working on a good assist/turnover and shooting percentage. I am guessing Buddy subs first, and Joe after with a short run later in the half. Actually wouldn't mind seeing that all year and for defensive purposes; maybe look at changing the Second half starting lineup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom