Girard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

The biggest asset that JG has is his competitiveness. The guy HATES to lose and he just makes plays. Reminds me of a recent Orange QB in that regard.
That intangible has been sorely missing from the team over the past 4 or 5 years. We need “heart” guys that make all of the other guys play harder because their passion and intensity is inspirational. Girard seems to have that intangible quality.

I think knowing he doesnt have to score and take shots ever possessions is helping as well, playing under better control and more conscious of controlling his dribble

The biggest asset that JG has is his competitiveness. The guy HATES to lose and he just makes plays. Reminds me of a recent Orange QB in that regard.
I could see him playing QB in Dino's offense and making it hum. He's got IT.

Teams are going to hate Girard.

as long as it doesn’t get out of hand, im damn happy to have a bit of competitive attitude back on the team.

wonder if Girard has taken Devo 1 on 1 at the melo center yet?

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I couldn't watch the game last night. I need to find a streaming service for the ACC Network. My comcast cable in seattle doesn't have it. I will admit I didn't think he will be able to contribute much year 1 and was concerned about his handle and athleticism in the ACC. If he is able to help year 1 that would be great since it doesn't seem like Carey has progressed like we had hoped.
Yeah add Comcast in Denver to that non ACCN list, I’m very depressed especially sine I have watched almost every game since I moved in 2001. ESPN deserves some of that blame also, I think.

he surprised a lot of people with his developed handle.

different animal against ACC guards. Interested to see him against the more established OOCp5 guards where the opportunity presents itself
I think a lot of people assumed things about his ability because he is a CNY white kid. Seems that has happened before with guys like Andy and Buddy, and even Matt Roe.

Not sure if I’m the only one here but I REALLY liked what I saw out of Girard last night. He is a lot more poised than I thought he would be as a freshman and he can shoot the lights out.

Given we’ve only seen him in two preseason games with lesser opponents, but Carleton was in his pants all night and he didn’t get rattled. He looked extremely confident directing the offense and so far his J is as advertised. Looked pretty good on D as well - a little better than I thought. Not ready to anoint him or anything as it’s too early but I’m pleased.
I’m sure in hs they sent 2 to 3 people at him all the time to try and stop him. I think him being defended by one althletic kid is ok for him.

I’m sure in hs they sent 2 to 3 people at him all the time to try and stop him. I think him being defended by one althletic kid is ok for him.

He managed just fine at Dyckman too.

One of the big differences with Joe is that he immediately shifts the defenders mindset from being in control when pressing him to trying to simply contain him from being burnt on a deep 3 or getting blown by. Girard does not use the same move to beat his man and is very good using his screens. Off the ball he makes it hell for the defender chasing him around. The other thing is Girard is a solid kid. He isn't getting shoved around.

If you watch the Carleton game again, just watch how quickly when they pick him up from 3/4 court how the defender goes from the predator to the prey. When we want to really put teams on their heels with our offense I expect to see Hughes Girard and Buddy or Brycen out there with Marek and Bourama.

And for scoring points. Ultimately this is entertainment for me. I can’t sit through a football season of 3 and outs and sacks followed by another hoop season of rock fights. I can’t. I won’t.
You can...you will.

I only say that because I suffer the same affliction...its called being a fan of our beloved Orange.

You can...you will.

I only say that because I suffer the same affliction...its called being a fan of our beloved Orange.

I will be honest. It definitely helps the pain if hoops is enjoyable. Makes it easier to painfully root through the football dissapointment. You are spot on... It may hurt but here we are gluttons for more punishment!

I will be honest. It definitely helps the pain if hoops is enjoyable. Makes it easier to painfully root through the football dissapointment. You are spot on... It may hurt but here we are gluttons for more punishment!
Totally agree. I told my wife last year that after a 10 win football season...hoops can go NIT or win it all...I will be fine either way. I mean...I broke my promise of not yelling at the TV during basketball...but I think you get it.

He managed just fine at Dyckman too.

One of the big differences with Joe is that he immediately shifts the defenders mindset from being in control when pressing him to trying to simply contain him from being burnt on a deep 3 or getting blown by. Girard does not use the same move to beat his man and is very good using his screens. Off the ball he makes it hell for the defender chasing him around. The other thing is Girard is a solid kid. He isn't getting shoved around.

If you watch the Carleton game again, just watch how quickly when they pick him up from 3/4 court how the defender goes from the predator to the prey. When we want to really put teams on their heels with our offense I expect to see Hughes Girard and Buddy or Brycen out there with Marek and Bourama.
He seems to have that it factor.

Those were the tavern-league days, before Boeheim became a defense-first (and zone-only) coach. Also, McNamara only had to outplay Tyrone Albright to crack the starting lineup on a team that surprisingly had no guard depth at all.
Billy Edelin says hi!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom