Give JB one more year. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Give JB one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You not getting it doesn’t surprise me.
Team X is spending a TO drawing up a play against a Man to man defense and the opposing team comes out in zone it throws the timeout play away.
Because the team wasn’t expecting a zone defense in play design.
You can confuse the opponent.

Spain drew up a play for man to man.
USA came out in zone and it killed the play and the USA won.

If Syracuse switched defenses at select times it would confuse the opponent.
You can confuse them for about ten seconds or less if the opposing coach doesn't call a TO.

That you don't understand the difference between switching to a seldom seen defense and switching to a defense the opponent sees every game all game doesn't surprise me either.

Let me ask this another way, and in no way am I trying to come across rude, friendly basketball debate. We gave up a ton of three point shots at the end of the game. Obviously we don't know for sure, but if we had an average man to man we could play now and then, they might have less 3 point opportunities. I would rather give up 2's than 3's if they are gonna make the shots anyway. When the other team is missing, by all means, but when they get hot from outside, something needs to change.

What's the difference between an active, extended zone and M2M in defending against the three? And if our defense is so bad against the three, why don't the stats even come close to showing that?

popcorn2-e1424290040863.jpg

That moment when you log on to see that Townie72 is the latest to post in a thread entitled "Give JB one more year."

We are supposed to claw to win games. I don't understand the Battle stuff, he is the best player on the team and is doing his best to help us win. He is probably the furthest thing from the problem. When we didn't get Quade and Tucker this is what the season was going to be. I think playing kids the high minutes is an issue with their energy near the end of games but it isn't the reason kids are getting hurt. There aren't enough games for that to be the case in my opinion. HW was at practice and he wasn't playing much, ankle sprains happen and Moyer wasn't playing big minutes either. The players that have gone down and had issues aren't the ones playing the big minutes (Battle, FH, OB) I don't know what other players we could be developing we are down to 6 scholly players so unless we are trying to develop Bayer or Autry Jr I don't think that is valid. We develop plenty of kids. Lydon was around the 70's in his class and was a 1st round pick after 2 years. I'm just picking the most recent example. Ennis was like in the early 30's in his class and was a 1st round pick #18. We have developed plenty of players and Boeheim does a really good job of showcasing his best players and putting them in position to be successful. I feel like many players are improving this year. FH is like top 5 in the conference in year over year scoring increase. He has really improved in a tough situation with much greater responsibility. I get that your upset and frustrated. I am too. The reality is we always knew this year was going to be 9-9 or 8-10 in conference and next year we had a chance to be really good. So I guess we can wait until the second half of this season and proclaim Boeheim is gone if we aren't good next year. Fine whatever. We are going to be good which is why people are saying it because deep down they know we will be and it will be harder to bash the zone, bash Boeheim and complain about our record since the 25-0 start once we start next season like 16-2 or whatever it is.
I like you as poster but the criticism is legitimate.

I want to win games. I find the HC stubborn. I don’t take personal shots at the guy it’s all about basketball.

He is very thin skinned(as am I).
This season is irrelevant to my feelings.

This is the 4th consecutive mediocre season. 2 lost scholarships is not an excuse. Hop was forced to leave or inherit a mess that is on JB.

Next season isn’t guaranteed to be great. It has a lot more promise which is why expectations should be a good season not just above average.
The ACC sucks this year and we have a soft conference schedule thus far.
JB has been good this year but that is because their are no expectations.

Next year we need a really good season.

You can confuse them for about ten seconds or less if the opposing coach doesn't call a TO.

That you don't understand the difference between switching to a seldom seen defense and switching to a defense the opponent sees every game all game doesn't surprise me either.
Name one thing JB has done wrong in his career.

What's the difference between an active, extended zone and M2M in defending against the three? And if our defense is so bad against the three, why don't the stats even come close to showing that?
I agree MOST of the time it works. I don't want to abolish the zone, I don't want to even make it half and half. I'm just saying you have to have alternatives. As I said above, who knows if changing anything would have helped? We don't know. However, it can't be argued that what we were doing wasn't working...at all. It wasn't somewhat ineffective, it was completely ineffective(specific to the end of last game and second half of Wake game.), so why and how would changing it up hurt?

The Zone and defense is fine. For the most part year in and year out we have one of the top ranked defenses in the nation.

The problem is on the other side of the court. We need some kind of offensive assistant or someone with some imagination that can run multiple half court sets and get our players in position to succeed. We run ISO or pick and roll. And it has been that way for a long time. That is what needs to change we need some spark on that side. Everything we do on that end is a struggle every year.

At some point we will have to move on from JB when that is I dont know but at some point it has to happen.

The Zone and defense is fine. For the most part year in and year out we have one of the top ranked defenses in the nation.

The problem is on the other side of the court. We need some kind of offensive assistant or someone with some imagination that can run multiple half court sets and get our players in position to succeed. We run ISO or pick and roll. And it has been that way for a long time. That is what needs to change we need some spark on that side. Everything we do on that end is a struggle every year.

At some point we will have to move on from JB when that is I dont know but at some point it has to happen.

Jimmy needs to hire or promote one of his current coaches to Offensive Coordinator. That person will call plays on one end of the floor, and JB the defensive sets.

He could extend his career for a long time with this...

I like you as poster but the criticism is legitimate.

I want to win games. I find the HC stubborn. I don’t take personal shots at the guy it’s all about basketball.

He is very thin skinned(as am I).
This season is irrelevant to my feelings.

This is the 4th consecutive mediocre season. 2 lost scholarships is not an excuse. Hop was forced to leave or inherit a mess that is on JB.

Next season isn’t guaranteed to be great. It has a lot more promise which is why expectations should be a good season not just above average.
The ACC sucks this year and we have a soft conference schedule thus far.
JB has been good this year but that is because their are no expectations.

Next year we need a really good season.
My post wasn't directed at you. I want to win games too. I think we will be good next year. I have high expectations. I don't think most people are taking shots at JB because it's personal. I just don't agree with the idea that we should switch to m2m a few minutes every game or at the end of the game or whatever. I think our defense is the best thing we have going this year but it is now wearing down because kids are playing more minutes than they ever have and are tired. Marek getting to the corner and I think FH and TB are having their minutes add up on them. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. There is no solution we just have to try and grind games out and when you do that the margin for error is small. A few mistakes cost you like MM throwing away the ball in the lane and the Battle bad drive. Those are two plays we can't have. I don't blame the kids I would say they both played pretty good and are playing hard.

Jb should have been gently pushed to part ways with this program after Rak’s senior year.

That didn’t happen.

Firing him after another unsuccessful season, now, is not an option.

Our program chose this, I dont believe it was the right choice. Don’t know if theres a “making it right” scenario now.

He had a few drives last night that should have been dishes to Frank or Oshae for an extremely easy and wide open 3 point shot. He gets tunnel vision.
He counts points. I bet he knows exactly how many he has at any moment in any game.

I might be wrong and if the money is right anyone will make the jump but just going through some potential candidates, I'm struggling to decide whether or not they would leave to come to a Cuse program that quite frankly has struggled to find an identity within the ACC conference. The AD has a lot on his plate with trying to figure out the next best step for the basketball program, I personally believe he will be complacent and just stick with JB throughout the Buddy years but that's just my guess. Wildhack does need to be keeping an eye out though, if there's a guy he loves and believes will once again make us a national contender more regularly, we can't pass that up and he needs to make that cutthroat decision. It is a complete disservice to our program if we don't at least take a look at JB (not fire, just evaluate), I wonder if we ended up going through a stretch where we consistently were in the 6-10 range of the BE if JB would be on the ropes? We are all fans, Wildhack has a big time job for a reason, the book is coming to a close on a HOF coach, his job is now to find his guy and make him the next great Syracuse coach, I hope he isn't taking this lightly and is expecting great things from JB because he needs to be prepared as the mens program hasn't had to deal with this in quite some time.

JB isn't going anywhere and we all know it.

Even if we win 17-20 games or so next year, land on the bubble and aren't a top contender, he's not going anywhere. The only way JB is even remotely in jeopardy is if we're caught up in the so-called hammer dropping coming. If that's the case, it's gotta be 3 strikes and you're out.

We have a good class coming in with a stud F and a promising transfer becoming eligible. While I expect we'll continue to struggle in the half-court, at least in terms of running any sort of offense, and will probably play at a reduced pace, that team has to be better than this one. There will be more scoring options assuming OB, FH, Sid, Baz, Carey, Hughes and possibly Buddy are here. Shooting may be an issue again and PG play will remain as questionable as ever, JB better coach that team up to a better product than what we've seen the past 4 years. If we see that team playing the same way we've seen recent teams, I won't have much expectation for great success. If JB actually takes the reins off and plays some modern basketball, then we should have a real shot to be pretty good.

JB isn't going anywhere and we all know it.

Even if we win 17-20 games or so next year, land on the bubble and aren't a top contender, he's not going anywhere. The only way JB is even remotely in jeopardy is if we're caught up in the so-called hammer dropping coming. If that's the case, it's gotta be 3 strikes and you're out.

We have a good class coming in with a stud and a promising transfer becoming eligible. While I expect we'll continue to struggle in the half-court, at least in terms of running any sort of offense, and will probably play at a reduced pace, that team has to be better than this one. There will be more scoring options assuming OB, FH, Sid, Baz, Carey, Hughes and possibly Buddy are here. Shooting may be an issue again and PG play will remain as questionable as ever, JB better coach that team up to a better product than what we've seen the past 4 years. If we see that team playing the same way we've seen recent teams, I won't have much expectation for great success. If JB actually takes the reins off and plays some modern basketball, then we should have a real shot to be pretty good.

If guys are good coming in, we have returnees as well as a stud transfer how is it acceptable to struggle in the half court again?

Ridiculous

People really want us to change defenses when going into the game they were 2nd in the ACC and 12th IN THE COUNTRY on D?????

XCJImDZ.gif
We’re 113th now in 3fg% defense this year. And teams take a lot more 3s against us. Yep. No reason to worry.

I can't wait for the "Buddy Years", It's going to be like the "Wonder Years" for all of us Boeheim sycophants. 4 more years, 4 more years , 4 more years.....

Name one thing JB has done wrong in his career.
Credible source on basketball: JB

He’s smart, he’s there and he has 40+ years of experience.

Now I will spare you all the reasons why random internet fans frustrated after losses lack credibility.

Credible source on basketball: JB

He’s smart, he’s there and he has 40+ years of experience.

Now I will spare you all the reasons why random internet fans frustrated after losses lack credibility.
Again please answer the question.

Name one time JB has been wrong.

Your statement comes off like all Syracuse fans must be sycophants of Jim Boeheim.

He isn’t always right.

What were people saying during the Syracuse Basketball 2005 to 2008 seasons?

I just knew there would be a melt down on the board today.

Well he did say “I’ve always said Syracuse has the greatest fans”. He was wrong
Being objective and questioning the coaching is not being a bad fan. In fact its the opposite and being a realist. I, myself, have less respect for fans who watch with orange tinted glasses and are the mindset of everything is okay, we'll be fine. (I am not saying this is you, I don't know you)

What were people saying during the Syracuse Basketball 2005 to 2008 seasons?
2005 we were top 25 all year.
Hak, Pace, Forth Senior year. That team had Final Four hype. Played good not great.
Won the BE tournament and then stumbled against Vermont.
2006 the Big East stacked. UConn and Nova were 1 and 2 in the country. We lost Hak who was first team all-American. Fans weren’t pissed about that season and then GMac had the BET of all time. Team got overseeded and lost to a good Texas A&M team.
2007 team played hard. Nichols was really good. Team got better as the season went on. We were screwed by the committee.
2008 we had the best freshman class in a long time. Team was young but fun to watch.
Team again was a bubble team but was young.

None of these teams failures were on the HC. I wouldn’t complain about JB from then.

He has gotten more stubborn and let the offense fall big time from those teams.

JB also wasn’t 73 then. He was 60-63 those years that is a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom