Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

You said you wanted babers fired today and Mullen offered tomorrow. That’s a fantasy world. Again you have no idea how Dino’s contract reads or what wildhack is dealing with so just stop with the timing of all of it. It’s most likely going to happen so it’s just a few more weeks.
A lot of people would be upgrades over Babers...but that doesn't mean that we could get them to come to Syracuse. Come on, putting emotion aside, if you are a talented coach with P5 experience, why would you want the Syracuse job? You have coached on the big stage in the SEC and the Big 10, what about this Syracuse job is not a step down for you? Money?...You are not going to get from Syracuse...what you got from the SEC...why would you come?

Cameron Brady
Earl Drennan
Brennan Huff
Chazz Reinhold
Chim Richalds

A lot of people would be upgrades over Babers...but that doesn't mean that we could get them to come to Syracuse. Come on, putting emotion aside, if you are a talented coach with P5 experience, why would you want the Syracuse job? You have coached on the big stage in the SEC and the Big 10, what about this Syracuse job is not a step down for you? Money?...You are not going to get from Syracuse...what you got from the SEC...why would you come?
There are a lot of coaches that would be upgrades over Dino Babers who would work for less to start. The bar isn’t very high. The biggest issue now is wildhack really has no choice, it’s pretty clear that a change needs to be made barring a miracle there really isn’t much evidence or logic in bringing Dino back. I would take a big swing and structure the contract accordingly.

I keep saying you do the right search and shoot for a home run. If you whiff you move on in 3 years and try again, but I wouldn’t overspend on some retread with a bigger name. that’s just my opinion and you just really never know. Hiring a former p5 coach with a name ain’t it for me, we need fresh ideas, innovator who can win more games with a roster full of guys like we have now. it would take a very special coach to be great here so why hire a former P5 coach that has already proven their ceiling is limited. Just my 2 cents because that ceiling will be even lower at Syracuse not higher. Show me a long term assistant or a coach that has proven they can win with their own guys over a solid period of time.

I would agree though we aren’t paying for a Dan Mullen type and I’m fine with that.

Last edited:
Unless the guy has strong ties to PA or NJ the Northeast thing is beyond overblown. The major area of NY and NE that moves the needle is NYC and we are fighting an uphill battle pulling blue chippers from there. The NJ/PA kids seem more receptive to relationships and staying in the region than instantly being swayed by the bright lights of the SEC, ND, Michigan or OSU.

For the most part, we need a staff that can be successful at least 40% of the time going head to head for recruits out of NJ and PA against PSU. You do that and you’re really moving the needle for NE HS recruiting. On the whole Post Coach P and even in his waning years, as soon as PSU gets involved we lose.

Are we getting the talent we need from NY? I mean Staten Island and Long Island especially. How about Duff is he still interested?

There are a lot of coaches that would be upgrades over Dino Babers who would work for less to start. The bar isn’t very high. The biggest issue now is wildhack really has no choice, it’s pretty clear that a change needs to be made barring a miracle there really isn’t much evidence or logic in bringing Dino back. I would take a big swing and structure the contract accordingly.

I keep saying you do the right search and shoot for a home run. If you whiff you move on in 3 years and try again, but I wouldn’t overspend on some retread with a bigger name. that’s just my opinion and you just really never know. Hiring a former p5 coach with a name ain’t it for me, we need fresh ideas, innovator who can win more games with a roster full of guys like we have now. it would take a very special coach to be great here so why hire a former P5 coach that has already proven their ceiling is limited. Just my 2 cents because that ceiling will be even lower at Syracuse not higher. Show me a long term assistant or a coach that has proven they can win with their own guys
Work for less to start? Have you seen the names of the coaches fans are calling for on this thread? they are not coming to syracuse and working for less.

Tom Herman would be interesting has a low contract and only a 2.5 million dollar buyout. Runs high powered offense. HC experience at Houston and Texas. With SMU coming to ACC might be able to pull some recruits from Texas. Staff would need to focus on East Coast connections. I feel Herman would be a very realistic get for Syracuse with HC experience in P5 and offense focus.

Work for less to start? Have you seen the names of the coaches fans are calling for on this thread? they are not coming to syracuse and working for less.
"Lightning in a bottle" is what I call it! We really need to get lucky...and that is what it will be...finding a really talented guy, who exceeds expectations in a way we couldn't predict. There is no exact science or formula for this...and it really boils down to luck.

He's been demoted because he has not adapted as the season has gone on.
Adapted to what? He took a team avg 18 points a game to scoring over 30. If you mean by adapting to be bending over backwards to maximize Shadeur's exposure to get the kid drafted then maybe. Lewis has given them offensive credibility, the defense there is so bad no matter what you do on O it doesn't matter. Same lesson USC is learning with Grinch.

"Lightning in a bottle" is what I call it! We really need to get lucky...and that is what it will be...finding a really talented guy, who exceeds expectations in a way we couldn't predict. There is no exact science or formula for this...and it really boils down to luck.
not sure what the board thinks really matters. and I agree some luck would be nice too.

If SMU wasn't joining ACC, I think Rhett Lashlee would have been another obvious guy. But they have the cash and now the conference affiliation.

If SMU wasn't joining ACC, I think Rhett Lashlee would have been another obvious guy. But they have the cash and now the conference affiliation.
They just won't have ACC cash for a while ... that might force them to be fiscally conservative for a few seasons.

1. Andy Feltersnatch
2. Dick Pissner
3. Barry Baker
4. Colonel Angus
5. Brian Hartline
Yeah I mean #4 kinda goes without saying...very popular. Everyone likes Colonel Angus.

Last edited:
SMU is a very wealthy school. They have $ and won’t hold back. Football is very important to that alumni base.
Yeah I can't speak to their alumni contribution so that may be the case. An article I read awhile back said the Texas schools averaged about $30K of NIL per player! That was across SMU/TCU/UT/A&M etc.

I think I get ADJW's possible thinking with these two coaches, as there are some similarities - and differences - between them that make sense.

Both Men are from the region - White from NYC, Knowles from PA - so they both know the cultural and recruiting landscape in this part of the country; something JW likely - and strongly - prefers in his next coach.

Both Men have coached in upstate New York - White SU, Knowles Cornell. Again, primarily for recruiting purposes, knowing the region and having coached in the state likely check off important boxes for Wildhack.

Both coaches specialize in Defense. That may or may not be a preference for ADJW but I think it's worth noting. I don't think it matters what side of the ball a HC comes from bc on a well-run team, a HC is usually more of a CEO than an X's & O's play caller (of course, there are exceptions). But the most important traits in a HC are organizational skills, ability to recognize & hire good coaches, ability to recruit good players and an ability to successfully handle all that comes with being a college HC.

Both have coached at "blue bloods" with storied histories and both have been exposed to high-level, big time college football. Again, that may or may not be a preference for JW but I still think it's worth noting.

Also, both Men (potentially at least) have reasons to "stay on board" should they actually find success at SU. Knowles, bc of his age, isn't likely to want to move yet again once he's firmly planted roots in Syracuse. I'd imagine he'd likely view it as the job he hopes to retire from if he took it. White, a younger man, may be motivated to stay in Syracuse bc it's close to NYC where his mother (aka Grandma to his kids) and other family members still live. Of course, that doesn't ensure he wouldn't leave SU if offered a "better job" but being close to family might suppress any desire to leave otherwise. Potential longevity and coach retention are things I'm sure Wildhack will consider in all the candidates.

Where they differ greatly is in experience, with Knowles having head coaching experience and White having none - likely a plus for Knowles and a negative for TW - although Knowles did have a losing record at Cornell. Ultimately, JW will have to determine how much he values HC experience.

Syracuse University seems to prefer longevity in their coaches - see Boeheim, Pasqualoni. And I think that's a BIG part of the reason why Dino has gotten such a long leash - they were really, really hoping he could be the coach at SU indefinitely. Unfortunately, his incompetence and inability to coach/recruit has put a wrench in that plan. And now he has to be replaced.

I think a coach who could potentially be a long term solution is something they'd prefer in Dino's replacement. And for different reasons, both White and Knowles may offer that "stay awhile" potential.
So it’s you can hang around and be mediocre or terrible and we will reward you for staying by not firing you?????

1. Andy Feltersnatch
2. Dick Pissner
3. Barry Baker
4. Colonel Angus
5. Brian Hartline
1699216344536.jpeg

Here are some interesting coaches that we probably can actually get.
Jeff Traylor, UTSA
Jason Candle, Toledo
Charles Huff, Marshall
Troy Taylor - Sacramento State
Bob Chesney - Holy Cross

I've now resigned myself to like any coach we hire as long they didn't coach at Cornell at some point or have a similar resume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom