Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

He's a legit P5 coach, he's also New Hampsha mafia, which gives him even more street cred.
Dan Mullen has coached at Mississippi State and Florida, both SEC schools with lots of money, why would he come to Syracuse? Why? The money would have to be a huge factor I would think. Syracuse doesn't have SEC Money or Big 10 money. We are crying about a 5 - 10 million buyout that was rumored for Dino and school like LSU, didn't blink at firing Coach O with more than $50 million dollars still owed Mullen sounds good on paper, but if we pay him, we have no money left for anything else...

How is it a fantasy world to want Mullen or Lewis? Both of these coaches would be a huge upgrade over Babers.
You said you wanted babers fired today and Mullen offered tomorrow. That’s a fantasy world. Again you have no idea how Dino’s contract reads or what wildhack is dealing with so just stop with the timing of all of it. It’s most likely going to happen so it’s just a few more weeks.

Coach Mark DeLeon deserves a look to serve as next head coach of the Syracuse University football team.

Mark has extensive and impressive NFL and P5 college coaching experience serving with some of the best football minds there are.

Mark is a Syracuse guy. His Dad was first assistant during the successful Pasqualoni years. He is young. He is aggressive. Mark is a passionate SU fan; he bleeds SU Orange, No one would out work Coach DeLeone.

Below is Coach DeLeone’s bio.

The guy’s highest job was a defensive analyst, not even a coordinator. A MAC school roles the dice on a guy like this as a first time HC maybe.. but not ACC team.

You said you wanted babers fired today and Mullen offered tomorrow. That’s a fantasy world. Again you have no idea how Dino’s contract reads or what wildhack is dealing with so just stop with the timing of all of it. It’s most likely going to happen so it’s just a few more weeks.
Expressing what I would like to happen and what can actually happen are 2 different things. I don’t think this team can wait until December though.

Ok here you go everyone. Have at it. Here’s your list right now. And again this is not an opinion. These are the 2 names on it. It will continue to grow.

Tony White
Jim Knowles

Knowles getting huge support from some prominent former players. I don’t see it. But there ya go
Thanks for sharing. Anticipate Sean Lewis being a legitimate contender? He knows he'll get his chance at running a better P5 program soon enough, though recent demotion from Deoin may change that...would certainly excite the fanbase and give the program some much needed positive PR.

The guy’s highest job was a defensive analyst, not even a coordinator. A MAC school roles the dice on a guy like this as a first time HC maybe.. but not ACC team.
Expressing what I would like to happen and what can actually happen are 2 different things.
he would be a good candidate for a d3 HC position.

OK. Just making sure, didn’t know

If Steve Addazzio gets guys like Konrad to put down seven figure donations for the program or NIL, then put the onus on them to make the commitment to his contract or buyout

Addazzio is not popular here but he would solve the OL issue, and he knows the landscape.

He checks a lot of the boxes that some people are looking for.

We would be looking at 5-7 win seasons, and he'd do stuff that drives us nuts, just less often than Dino.

Addazzio won 9 games his first year as a head coach and never won more than 7 games a year after that.

I have no issue with Stevie being our OL coach and overpaying him. I want nothing to do with him as a HC or OC.

See people don’t see opportunity. If u wanted to be a head coach and u came here and pulled off a total reversal and we started winning, u would be revered here. Mac did it. We can win here. It won’t be easy. If it’s Tony White, he has to let the former players come in and get tight with the current players. We have nfl pedigre.
He also coached in a different climate. Mac today would not have the success he did when SU was on the cusp of playing for a championship.

Jim Mora has done an impressive job a UCONN. Very impressive given where he started and what he has to work with. What's more, he would probably be interested. Worth a look.
I would much rather have Mora than Knowles.. People will scoff at the record this year, but I think he is a solid coach.

Whatever happened to Scott Frost? He was going to be the guy after Shafer, but wouldn’t commit long term. I’m not sure if he’s even coaching anymore. He really screwed up his career at Nebraska.

I get Tony white but it’s a sad state of affairs when su is at this point and we only have two names on a list and one guy was a failed Cornell coach. This university will never change. Cash checks and do the bare min.

Yeah, Tony white I think makes sense. Some people may think it’s the complete wrong direction because he hasn’t been a head coach and he was here already. I get that too. But interviewing him at least makes sense.

Ok here you go everyone. Have at it. Here’s your list right now. And again this is not an opinion. These are the 2 names on it. It will continue to grow.

Tony White
Jim Knowles

Knowles getting huge support from some prominent former players. I don’t see it. But there ya go
I think I get ADJW's possible thinking with these two coaches, as there are some similarities - and differences - between them that make sense.

Both Men are from the region - White from NYC, Knowles from PA - so they both know the cultural and recruiting landscape in this part of the country; something JW likely - and strongly - prefers in his next coach.

Both Men have coached in upstate New York - White SU, Knowles Cornell. Again, primarily for recruiting purposes, knowing the region and having coached in the state likely check off important boxes for Wildhack.

Both coaches specialize in Defense. That may or may not be a preference for ADJW but I think it's worth noting. I don't think it matters what side of the ball a HC comes from bc on a well-run team, a HC is usually more of a CEO than an X's & O's play caller (of course, there are exceptions). But the most important traits in a HC are organizational skills, ability to recognize & hire good coaches, ability to recruit good players and an ability to successfully handle all that comes with being a college HC.

Both have coached at "blue bloods" with storied histories and both have been exposed to high-level, big time college football. Again, that may or may not be a preference for JW but I still think it's worth noting.

Also, both Men (potentially at least) have reasons to "stay on board" should they actually find success at SU. Knowles, bc of his age, isn't likely to want to move yet again once he's firmly planted roots in Syracuse. I'd imagine he'd likely view it as the job he hopes to retire from if he took it. White, a younger man, may be motivated to stay in Syracuse bc it's close to NYC where his mother (aka Grandma to his kids) and other family members still live. Of course, that doesn't ensure he wouldn't leave SU if offered a "better job" but being close to family might suppress any desire to leave otherwise. Potential longevity and coach retention are things I'm sure Wildhack will consider in all the candidates.

Where they differ greatly is in experience, with Knowles having head coaching experience and White having none - likely a plus for Knowles and a negative for TW - although Knowles did have a losing record at Cornell. Ultimately, JW will have to determine how much he values HC experience.

Syracuse University seems to prefer longevity in their coaches - see Boeheim, Pasqualoni. And I think that's a BIG part of the reason why Dino has gotten such a long leash - they were really, really hoping he could be the coach at SU indefinitely. Unfortunately, his incompetence and inability to coach/recruit has put a wrench in that plan. And now he has to be replaced.

I think a coach who could potentially be a long term solution is something they'd prefer in Dino's replacement. And for different reasons, both White and Knowles may offer that "stay awhile" potential.

The only time he would have is OL coach. His ground and pound is decidedly not what the program needs in 2023.
Honestly, if we had a ground and pound with our defense I think we win more games this year.

Sean Lewis: his best 2 years as HC were 7-7 and 7-6, and the other 3 years were 2 wins, 3 wins, and 5 wins. Sounds like Dino's record here. Please no.

See what Ryan Walters is doing at Purdue? 2-7. Tony White seems like the same kind of hire. Very risky. Not likely to succeed.

I can't see Al Golden being successful at SU. Please no.

Addazio never had a very high ceiling as a HC. He never got past 7 wins at BC and the teams were boring. He flamed out at Colo St (4-12). Sure as a OL position coach, but I'm sure he's out of our pay class being at Texas A&M. As HC, please no.

Scott Frost turned out to be a flake, didn't get along with people and didn't do the basic management tasks required of a HC. He'll never get another shot in the P5.

We have to do better than these names.

I don't know if Jim Mora could build the SU program, but he certainly would have gotten more out of this current team roster than Dino is getting.

Among the criteria for SU's next HC to be successful is a proven record of building programs. A career coordinator with no HC experience is a big gamble. I keep coming back to a coach who built 4 winning programs, including the same Bowling Green program that Dino inherited and made Dino look like he was the one who hit the home run: Dave Clawson.

We get out-coached every year by Clawson. I'm not suggesting that Clawson would ever come to SU, but I am saying that's the type of coaching resume who could make a respectable program out of SU.

Clawson's record as HC reads:
1999 Fordham 0-11
2002 Fordham 10–3
2003 Fordham 9–3
2004 Richmond 3–8
2007 Richmond 11–3
2009 Bowling Green 7–6
2010 Bowling Green 2–10
2013 Bowling Green 10–3
2014 Wake Forest 3–9
2015 Wake Forest 3–9
2016 Wake Forest 7–6
2017 Wake Forest 8–5
2018 Wake Forest 7–6
2019 Wake Forest 8–5
2020 Wake Forest 4–5 *Covid
2021 Wake Forest 11–3
2022 Wake Forest 8–5
2023 Wake Forest 4–5

6 winning records in a row at WF, if not counting Covid year; playing in the same brutal ACC division as us, w/ Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, etc.

I don't know if Bob Chesney is the answer, but his record is similar to Clawson's, although Clawson did build a winning MAC program, which is closer to the ACC level of competition than the Patriot conference.

We need someone who has proven success building programs! It follows that you can't build a winning program while not knowing what it takes to build an offensive line. Same goes for having a team that plays with discipline - not leading the nation in penalties every year; you can't consistently beat the teams you are supposed to beat doing that.

I don’t want Addazio as HC either. However, I don’t understand the hate. 44-44 and 7 bowl appearances over 8 years seems a hell of a lot better than what we have.. The bar is so low at this point. Maybe he would consider OL coach?

happy with any of the following:

Mullen - Proven and familiar with SU culture
Addazzio - Adds toughness to our program
Charles Huff - Rising star
Narduzzi - Defense first guy
Alex Grinch - Rising star
Stan Drayton - Knows area; step up from Temple
Jon Sumrall - Proven winner
Lance Leipold - Home run hire. Not likely but dare to dream

Among the criteria for SU's next HC to be successful is a proven record of building programs. A career coordinator with no HC experience is a big gamble. I keep coming back to a coach who built 4 winning programs, including the same Bowling Green program that Dino inherited and made Dino look like he was the one who hit the home run: Dave Clawson.

We get out-coached every year by Clawson. I'm not suggesting that Clawson would ever come to SU, but I am saying that's the type of coaching resume who could make a respectable program out of SU.

Clawson's record as HC reads:
1999 Fordham 0-11
2002 Fordham 10–3
2003 Fordham 9–3
2004 Richmond 3–8
2007 Richmond 11–3
2009 Bowling Green 7–6
2010 Bowling Green 2–10
2013 Bowling Green 10–3
2014 Wake Forest 3–9
2015 Wake Forest 3–9
2016 Wake Forest 7–6
2017 Wake Forest 8–5
2018 Wake Forest 7–6
2019 Wake Forest 8–5
2020 Wake Forest 4–5 *Covid
2021 Wake Forest 11–3
2022 Wake Forest 8–5
2023 Wake Forest 4–5

6 winning records in a row at WF, if not counting Covid year; playing in the same brutal ACC division as us, w/ Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, etc.

I don't know if Bob Chesney is the answer, but his record is similar to Clawson's, although Clawson did build a winning MAC program, which is closer to the ACC level of competition than the Patriot conference.

We need someone who has proven success building programs! It follows that you can't build a winning program while not knowing what it takes to build an offensive line. Same goes for having a team that plays with discipline - not leading the nation in penalties every year; you can't consistently beat the teams you are supposed to beat doing that.
Think Clawson would be a great choice-Make him say no.

I want a coach who actually looks engaged and like they actually care when they are on the sidelines. I want the guy who throws his headset down when he gets mad and who will get in an officials ear when necessary. I want a coach who preaches consistency and accountability and discipline in the game and out of the game. I want a coach who is a players coach and a team builder; his players want to win for him and for each other. I can go on but will leave it there. Obviously a lot of what was discussed above is important also.
Ehhh, Schafer did this and I don’t want him near the dome.

The demeanor doesn’t bother me as much as the just total lack of understanding the game of football. It’s hard to believe this dude is even a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom