Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping

The SNY thing is part of ESPN's Big East Network package. SNY and ESPN are partners in that.
Meaning SNY is dead to us after we move to the ACC? Just trying to understand. Thanks.

ESPN cannot get ESPNU on basic cable so how would they get ESPNACC on? I believe ESPNU is in 75 million HHs. So if ESPNACC was on the same amount at $0.05 a HH it would generate about $45M. For ESPN to create ESPNACC they need incentive as they already own the media rights. Heck they could create ESPNACC and not pay the ACC a dime. But let's assume they split it 50-50 (not likely). That means the ACC gets $22.5M more a year. When you divide that by the league office and the 15 schools, you get a whopping $1.4M more a year per school. That isn't really a game changer.

Also note that the B1G puts Tier 2 games on giving it more value. ESPNACC would get the games that ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, and Raycom all pass on. It would be great for no revenue sports but for FB and BBall it would be crappy content.

Digital cable I said. Basic cable is like 60 channels. You get ESPN and ESPN2.

ESPNU is not a premium 'pay' channel in a digital package though like the Big 10 Net is. If you order up digital cable you get espn, espn2 and espnu. The WWL could up their cost and include ACCN. Everybody wants ESPN in their package. This would be a tough one for providers to say to consumers we aren't going to carry ESPN to save you money (Disney/ABC as well).

Thats what I'm thinking. If the B1G plans on utilizing YES to pressure NY/NJ households for B1GN, i gotta believe that the WWL could lean on the cable co's to carry the ACCN in the appropriate regions on basic, right?

That's what I was thinking.

Digital cable I said. ESPNU is not a premium 'pay' channel like the Big 10 Net is.

ESPNU you can only get on the Sports Tier. If ESPN cannot leverage ESPNU on a lower tier how will they leverage an ESPNACC that has 1 FB game a week and crappy BBall games?

ESPNU you can only get on the Sports Tier. If ESPN cannot leverage ESPNU on a lower tier how will they leverage an ESPNACC that has 1 FB game a week and crappy BBall games?

I just have digital (Time Warner) cable, not the sports tier. And I get ESPNU

For what cable system? TWC ESPNU is part of their standard digital cable package.

Thanx again, arb- & I reiterate my contention that you are indeed...the MAN!! ;)
The best part about all this is that there's some forward-thinking planning going on, & the WWL/ACC is unlikely to just whither & die.
Looking at the ACC footprint vs the Big12 or Pac12, the potential of our new league is limitless.
The keys to future success is what the B1G &/or the SEC choose to do, as they are the true nemesis' for the ACC.

Meaning SNY is dead to us after we move to the ACC? Just trying to understand. Thanks.

If the BE as we know it is dead and the Big is using yes, wouldn't SNY be interested in being a platform for the ACC?

It's not a sports tier station for me with Charter, but it came when we got the HD package. Not on standard cable though.
Correct. I'm assuming everyone gets the HD package- its a major difference. You just don't see sports the same way.

Yeah I have DireTV, no sports package, and I have ESPNU. Do have digital plus cable package though.

I do not have a sports tier package with Brighthouse in FL, but I have the full range of ESPN channels... 1/2/u/news... part of my digital package; basic on my old second TV only has 1/2...

I do not have a sports tier package with Brighthouse in FL, but I have the full range of ESPN channels... 1/2/u/news... part of my digital package; basic on my old second TV only has 1/2...

Shoot I forgot about ESPNNews. This channel is also in the standard digital cable package.

If the BE as we know it is dead and the Big is using yes, wouldn't SNY be interested in being a platform for the ACC?

Possibly a better platform for the ACC would be MASN.

ESPN and ESPN2 are always on standard cable(no cable box) U, NEWS, Deportes, etc. are always digital tier (cable box, no sports tier). However, most of the time providers put B1G, PAC10, on sports tier. If ESPN can get the ACC network on the digital tier we will be making out huge over B1G, PAC10.

As I said in another thread, ESPNClassic was replaced by ESPNU. So now you only get Classic with a sports package.

The SNY thing is part of ESPN's Big East Network package. SNY and ESPN are partners in that.

It would really suck for Marsh if SNY were to lose the BE programming. That's where he gets his UConn fix. He loves the Kevin Ollie and Geno coaching shows. And the Coach P show? fuggeddaboutit.

Wouldn't a partnership with ESPN still put us behind the B1G network which they own outright? Wouldn't we have to split any profits? But going in the other direction, ESPN could pressure providers to carry the ACC network, which would mean more subscribers and more money.
As previously indicated, B1G caught lightening in a bottle and is going to come out ahead of others; however, do no downplay or be disappointed with where the ACC is trending to land...it is all good...good conference with potentially substantial dollars.

my cable has espn classic without sports pack along with espn u news,1 and 2

And who else is located in Charlotte? - Raycom. How does Raycom figure in all of this?

One has to hope an ACC Network has higher production values than that snoozefest going by the name of the BTN.

Hello, 'Cuse fans. Carolina fan here. First off, welcome to the ACC. Glad to have you all, Pitt, and, Louisville, with us. Looking forward to many years of outstanding football, basketball, and, lacrosse games between our great universities.

About UVA, they are UNC's oldest rival. Its the second most played rivalry in he South, only behind Texas-Texas A&M. We are peer Public Ivy institutions. And, IMHO, as long as the ACC is on solid footing, neither of us are going anywhere. Truth be told, I think we are more tied to the Wahoos than we are the Dukies. We're mirror images of each other.

I truly believe that you are going to have a solid, stable conference to begin calling home next summer. With all of the positive goings-on that have been mentioned in this thread previously, lets not forget one other...the look-in at the ACC's media deal at the 5-year mark. If football trends up as much as all of us hope and think that it will, we will get paid again at that time.

Again, welcome, and, lets get this conference going. I cannot wait. Go Heels!

Mooooooooose!

Hello, 'Cuse fans. Carolina fan here. First off, welcome to the ACC. Glad to have you all, Pitt, and, Louisville, with us. Looking forward to many years of outstanding football, basketball, and, lacrosse games between our great universities.

About UVA, they are UNC's oldest rival. Its the second most played rivalry in he South, only behind Texas-Texas A&M. We are peer Public Ivy institutions. And, IMHO, as long as the ACC is on solid footing, neither of us are going anywhere. Truth be told, I think we are more tied to the Wahoos than we are the Dukies. We're mirror images of each other.

I truly believe that you are going to have a solid, stable conference to begin calling home next summer. With all of the positive goings-on that have been mentioned in this thread previously, lets not forget one other...the look-in at the ACC's media deal at the 5-year mark. If football trends up as much as all of us hope and think that it will, we will get paid again at that time.

Again, welcome, and, lets get this conference going. I cannot wait. Go Heels!

That certaintly isn't true everywhere. Other than the most basic of cable, which is for the most part local channels, no ESPN of any kind, ESPNU is standard on FIOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom