Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping

Mooooooooose!

I am a lifelong Cowboys fan, and, Moose is one of my all-time favorite Cowboys. I just always loved how he went about his job without a fuss. He let his play do his talking. And, it spoke VOLUMES.

Hello, 'Cuse fans. Carolina fan here. First off, welcome to the ACC. Glad to have you all, Pitt, and, Louisville, with us. Looking forward to many years of outstanding football, basketball, and, lacrosse games between our great universities.

About UVA, they are UNC's oldest rival. Its the second most played rivalry in he South, only behind Texas-Texas A&M. We are peer Public Ivy institutions. And, IMHO, as long as the ACC is on solid footing, neither of us are going anywhere. Truth be told, I think we are more tied to the Wahoos than we are the Dukies. We're mirror images of each other.

I truly believe that you are going to have a solid, stable conference to begin calling home next summer. With all of the positive goings-on that have been mentioned in this thread previously, lets not forget one other...the look-in at the ACC's media deal at the 5-year mark. If football trends up as much as all of us hope and think that it will, we will get paid again at that time.
Again, welcome, and, lets get this conference going. I cannot wait. Go Heels!
...and thank you for your kind welcome...we all are looking forward to a terrific conference...and growing the wealth...

Hello, 'Cuse fans. Carolina fan here. First off, welcome to the ACC. Glad to have you all, Pitt, and, Louisville, with us. Looking forward to many years of outstanding football, basketball, and, lacrosse games between our great universities.

About UVA, they are UNC's oldest rival. Its the second most played rivalry in he South, only behind Texas-Texas A&M. We are peer Public Ivy institutions. And, IMHO, as long as the ACC is on solid footing, neither of us are going anywhere. Truth be told, I think we are more tied to the Wahoos than we are the Dukies. We're mirror images of each other.

I truly believe that you are going to have a solid, stable conference to begin calling home next summer. With all of the positive goings-on that have been mentioned in this thread previously, lets not forget one other...the look-in at the ACC's media deal at the 5-year mark. If football trends up as much as all of us hope and think that it will, we will get paid again at that time.

Trust me, we can't wait either. You are the first UNC fan to admit to something I have always thought - that UNC is more tied to UVa than to Duke. My FIL is a UVa grad (about 100 years ago or so) and he always says he considers UNC their biggest rival. He is also thrilled we are coming - we have had a great lax rivalry over the years and he can't wait to play us regularly in BB and FB (although depending on division alignments, FB might not be as often as he hopes). We welcome our new Southern overlords. And hope to beat you regularly in every sport we play. We give you baseball. :)

How far are you behind Texas - aTm? Doesn't look like those 2 will be playing each other anytime soon.

For as secure as the Big 12 feels and should feel because of Texas, the Longhorns are not anywhere near a cycle peak at the moment. Kansas State steals all their Big 12 headlines, aTm steals all their Texas headlines. Not sure how Mack Brown is surviving it to be honest.

Hello, 'Cuse fans. Carolina fan here.
Still smarting over that football game in 1996. Looking forward to your next Dome trip to finally get one at home.

Still smarting over that football game in 1996. Looking forward to your next Dome trip to finally get one at home.

I'm still mad about the '87 NCAA East Region Final...LOL. ;)

We've had some tremendous FB and BB games down through the years. I hope more are coming.

About the '96 FB game...that was Mack Brown's next-to-last season as Carolina HC, and, we ended up 10-2 that year. We were 11-1 in his last season, in '97. I always wonder how good our program might've been, had he stayed. But, it was Texas who came calling. And, he simply could not turn that job down.

All true, except that the Wahoos haven't bent the concept of student-athlete to the point of absurdity.

[That's my welcome to the ACC]

...and thank you for your kind welcome...we all are looking forward to a terrific conference...and growing the wealth...

I truly believe that there are great things in store for the ACC's future. Its now down to the members getting it done in competition. Both of our FB programs are trending upward, which is good for the league as a whole. Next year cannot arrive soon enough. I think we're all going to enjoy the ride.

I'm still mad about the '87 NCAA East Region Final...LOL. ;)
Oh yeah, well I'm still mad about Sam Perkins!

Nice to be in a conference where there is some interesting history.

Trust me, we can't wait either. You are the first UNC fan to admit to something I have always thought - that UNC is more tied to UVa than to Duke. My FIL is a UVa grad (about 100 years ago or so) and he always says he considers UNC their biggest rival. He is also thrilled we are coming - we have had a great lax rivalry over the years and he can't wait to play us regularly in BB and FB (although depending on division alignments, FB might not be as often as he hopes). We welcome our new Southern overlords. And hope to beat you regularly in every sport we play. We give you baseball. :)

As an older ACC fan, I will tell you that from my own perspective, Duke has not always been our biggest rival. When I was growing up, NCSU was our biggest rival. And, to me, I want to beat them more than anybody else in this league. Including Duke and UVA.

UVA was either UNC's No 2 or No 3 rival, IMHO.

How can we NOT be closer aligned to UVA, than to Duke? As I mentioned, we are peer public universities. Our state histories are tied together all the way back to the 1580s, when the English first landed on the NC coast. They landed in VA in 1607.

Now, I am in no way underestimating our 100 percent dislike of Duke. Rivalries are driven by familiarity and locale. Carolina and Duke are located just eight miles apart from each other, down US 15-501. The institutions do joint research, and, their students come over to Chapel Hill on the weekends year round. Its a recipe for complete and total disdain, and, it works for us. But, if you'll allow me the use of the dreaded e-word, you seldom heard of UNC-Duke leaving the ACC together. Its always been UNC-UVA. There are reasons for that. Notably, the similarities academically. But, I digress...

Like yor FIL, I am looking forward to having Syracuse, Pitt, and UL in the ACC. Theres going to be some fun times ahead.

All true, except that the Wahoos haven't bent the concept of student-athlete to the point of absurdity.

[That's my welcome to the ACC]

UNC has definitely embarassed itself. Its a long road back to having any real credibility in that realm.

How far are you behind Texas - aTm? Doesn't look like those 2 will be playing each other anytime soon.

For as secure as the Big 12 feels and should feel because of Texas, the Longhorns are not anywhere near a cycle peak at the moment. Kansas State steals all their Big 12 headlines, aTm steals all their Texas headlines. Not sure how Mack Brown is surviving it to be honest.

As of now, just one game. They've met 118 times, UNC-UVA 117. Their series record is 76-37-5, in favor of Texas. Our is MUCH closer. Its 59-54-4, in favor of UNC. We've won the last three, which we hadn't done in 30 years.

About Texas, if it wasn't for the LHN, they'd have been in the Pac-12 by now. The ONLY reason that Utah is in a BCS league is because Texas and the Pac could not work that kink out.

The UNC-UVA rivalry is called "The South's Oldest Rivalry". It's at 117 football games with UNC leading 59-54-4. As a UVA alumn and fan, I too can attest that we want to keep it going.

The Texas-Texas A&M rivalry is at 118 football games with Texas leading 76-37-5

It's an exciting time in the ACC with Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and Notre Dame joining. Maryland's not going to ruin the party. UVA and Syracuse have a good rivalry going in Lacrosse. We look forward to growing it with the other sports.

Oh yeah, well I'm still mad about Sam Perkins!

Nice to be in a conference where there is some interesting history.

UNC has definitely had some great luck in signing NY players for the basketball program. Even our greatest ever, Michael Jordan, was born in Brooklyn.

Yep, the ACC has a great history. But, I also enjoyed the hysteria that was the Big East. That was some GREAT hoops.

FTR, I HATE both Georgetown and UConn. I won't get into the reasoning, though. I just do. ;)

The UNC-UVA rivalry is called "The South's Oldest Rivalry". It's at 117 football games with UNC leading 59-54-4. As a UVA alumn and fan, I too can attest that we want to keep it going.

The Texas-Texas A&M rivalry is at 118 football games with Texas leading 76-37-5

It's an exciting time in the ACC with Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and Notre Dame joining. Maryland's not going to ruin the party. UVA and Syracuse have a good rivalry going in Lacrosse. We look forward to growing it with the other sports.

That is my thought exactly. Losing UMD, and, the Baltimore market, hurts. Lets be honest about that. Baltimore has been an ACC town since the league's inception. And, being a lifelong Orioles' fan, it makes me a bit sad seeing it gone.

But, losing them to the Big 10 is not a kill shot. Not in the least. Naysayers seem to think their leaving also cuts us out of the DC market as well. Thats nonsense. With both UVA and VPI, we still have a major presence there.

Losing UMD, while picking up Syracuse, Pitt, and, Louisville, and, with ND playing a 3/4 ACC FB schedule annually, is an infinite positive for the ACC. I don't see how any rational person could see it any other way.

FTR, I HATE both Georgetown and UConn. I won't get into the reasoning, though. I just do. ;)
Nothing wrong with that. The majority of this board feels exactly the same way. (I'm looking at you, Marsh01). It's 7:39 PM, and Georgetown still sucks!

One question: Why does the font in your post get smaller as it goes?

It makes it's difficult for our aging fan base to read.
If after reading this post the only question the only thing you have to say is about format you should put a ----- g dress on and head to the mall

UVA and Syracuse have a good rivalry going in Lacrosse. We look forward to growing it with the other sports.

The new ACC lacrosse conference is overlooked in my opinion. Being a huge lacrosse fan, I simply cannot wait to watch some of these games.

Football steers the ship, basketball is the vice president and lacrosse is an added extra. For those of us in CNY (huge lax bed), this is exciting as ever to be joining up with the ACC.

If after reading this post the only question the only thing you have to say is about format you should put a ----- g dress on and head to the mall
If you would have taken the time to read my post that quoted Arb's original post (page one), maybe you would have been able to follow along. It's a long shot but I'd give you a 50/50 chance.

Hint: he went back into his post and changed the font, genius.

The new ACC lacrosse conference is overlooked in my opinion. Being a huge lacrosse fan, I simply cannot wait to watch some of these games.

Football steers the ship, basketball is the vice president and lacrosse is an added extra. For those of us in CNY (huge lax bed), this is exciting as ever to be joining up with the ACC.

ACC lacrosse is going to be downright BRUTAL. I can't wait to see that.

Louisville is going to make ACC baseball tougher, too. UL has a good program, and, its well-supported.

And who else is located in Charlotte? - Raycom. How does Raycom figure in all of this?

One has to hope an ACC Network has higher production values than that snoozefest going by the name of the BTN.

ACC Network would be smart to set up a S.I. Newhouse pipeline and sign a few industry veterans to mentor.

UNC has definitely had some great luck in signing NY players for the basketball program. Even our greatest ever, Michael Jordan, was born in Brooklyn.

Yep, the ACC has a great history. But, I also enjoyed the hysteria that was the Big East. That was some GREAT hoops.

There are too many reasons to hate Georgetown. As long as you hate them, you're good in our book. Your reasons are your own.

There are too many reasons to hate Georgetown. As long as you hate them, you're good in our book. Your reasons are your own.

As long as you hate Duke and NC State, you're good in ours, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom