GMac Promoted to Associate Head Coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

GMac Promoted to Associate Head Coach

Sometimes it is better where you already are...Young kids, wife, they all love Syracuse. Quality of life, and he does quite well at SU. More money at Iona may be equal in cost of living to Associate Head Coach at SU.
Funny, I’ve been told on here that uprooting kids from their friends and schools is a nothing burger.

Excellent. It means he’s here next year. If there is a massive turnaround next year, he’ll be a hot commodity. He’s hard to sell to a fan base or administration right now.

He’s also got much more experience than AG…so Allen would understand.

Next up. Stud recruiter for the final road spot.

Then add a bench coach after the FF is over.
Not saying GMAC doesnt deserve this over Allen but doesnt Allen have more experience as an assistant coach? He was an assistant at St. Francis while Gmac was still in college. I got to have a good conversation with him at the ABCD camp when I was still in high school back in the day, I asked him when he was going to be an assistant at Syracuse and he responded with "I wish" glad it worked out for him.

I don't get this Gerry being a shoe-in for head coaching jobs, even smallish ones. Mid-majors and low mid-majors usually pluck coaches from successful P5s, which SYR is not right now. I think the only schools that would take a chance on him are D2, D3 JUCO or even high school jobs in Pennsylvania or Syracuse where he is a popular figure. Now if SYR returns to the national stage under AA, I believe Gerry does become a candidate for a mid-major or low mid-major.
I would agree that he would be a hard sell right now to a fanbase imho.

JB himself was always generous to his assistants. Years ago I heard that he gave the proceeds from his summer camps etc to his assistants. I don’t think they have any issues about compensation.
Nice to hear, too bad the rest of the university is CAF for salaries. Benefits are good though, well used to be

Both these guys hate losing and with the energy they can bring and determination the odds I think lean towards being successful than not. Now coaching is much more than that.. effort and determination aren't x's and o's. That said I'm bullish on how this is trending.
Good post that triggered a thought. I always wondered what was going through the assistant coaches minds as Syracuse was was losing another game and the tv cameras flashed to the bench. Definitely were not happy campers and JB was not one to listen to options. I could never sit there and watch that happen game after game... but then for $400K I would think about it! Just a penny for their thoughts at that moment.

Jake, what was your read of JB's pointed comments during last Friday's presser about Autry not needing a bench coach?
I don’t know how it would breed confidence and kudos, if the former coach publicly stated that he thought the new coach, his former associate head coach, in his estimation, needed to add a bench coach. Now it would totally be and still is Red’s decision whether he’d prefer one or not but for JB to agree publicly with those that believe he needed one, I don’t see it. Personally, I don’t think it be a good look for either JB nor a welcome public suggestion for Red. That said, I hope Red does what he thinks he needs help with the most.

Cuse assistants must get paid well enough for Allen Griffin to be driving around in a Lambo, unless it was borrowed from his good friend.
allen drives an escalade.

Well deserved. This was more than a thank you for your continued loyalty. GMac is highly regarded, despite the shade he gets here sometimes.
Yep it’s dopey

Real happy for GMac. After his jersey was retired a few weeks back I was thinking of how that would be more leverage for him (and Syracuse) while recruiting high school players. None of these kids he is recruiting today were born when GMac, Carmello and the 2003 team were taking down the nets. Just to walk into the Dome, point to his jersey and the National Championship banner has to be an asset for recruiting.

If this team works out Gerry leaves, if it’s a disaster, nobody on staff is getting job. This isn’t positioning GMAC as the next coach. It’s rewarding him and promoting him to where he should be.
Exactly.

i wonder if this takes him out of contention for smallish HC jobs?

Does anyone know what this position potentially pays at Syracuse (with all the trappings of the camps, etc) vs a HC gig at say UNH or Holy Cross (two mid majors that opened up)
This will set him up for future head coaching jobs, especially if we can start winning at a high level again.

The Gmac leaving discussion was always wild board speculation. He never wanted to leave just because Red became the coach.
So true. I always insisted there was no reason for him to leave or for Red to let him go. It’s gonna be all hands on deck. Unless he finds a HC opportunity that he really likes. I hope one will come along for him in the next couple of years.

And Red still has a chance to bring someone else onto the staff that he likes and thinks can help us in recruiting or developing the offense or defense.

Good stuff. Whatever Red wants SU should make happen.

Top 5 at SU (my guess) for this past year

Babers 4mm-ish
JB: 3mm
Tony White: 1.2mm
Kent
CFO

Have to figure AA is at least a mil and Tony is gone. Hard to imagine Rocky is that high but I bet he’s top 5. I’d guess Gmac is right around JW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom