GMac Promoted to Associate Head Coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

GMac Promoted to Associate Head Coach

Funny, I’ve been told on here that uprooting kids from their friends and schools is a nothing burger.
Agree for most. But there are some people that are family first, and I see GMac as that person.

It’s from Battlestar Gallactica stupid !
Do I really need to mention that it's from Lost In Space? Y'know..."Danger, Will Robinson"...? Fricken' morons!

Frustrated Buzz Lightyear GIF

Last edited:
Not saying GMAC doesnt deserve this over Allen but doesnt Allen have more experience as an assistant coach? He was an assistant at St. Francis while Gmac was still in college. I got to have a good conversation with him at the ABCD camp when I was still in high school back in the day, I asked him when he was going to be an assistant at Syracuse and he responded with "I wish" glad it worked out for him.
Years wise yes, but GMac has been an assistant coach at SU since 2011. Griffin came aboard in 2017.

Years wise yes, but GMac has been an assistant coach at SU since 2011. Griffin came aboard in 2017.
Wow, didn't realize it's been that long for GMac-. If the guy was any more Orange, he'd put on makeup and run for President. But, I digress...
Needless to say, I'm glad to see the Cuse Fam stay together, it speaks volumes about this thing of ours.

Maybe.

Or maybe the former trio of AC's like working together and are optimistic about their chances of success now that they are empowered to run the show, and getting that AHC tag is a benefit to GMac's resume.

This. Just watch the bench this season. The synergy wasn't as strong from the top down anymore. That's not a criticism just an observation. It's something that can happen in any hierarchical setting even a long standing one. Seems like they have confidence that they can bring it back up a level with Autry moving over a seat.

This. Just watch the bench this season. The synergy wasn't as strong from the top down anymore. That's not a criticism just an observation. It's something that can happen in any hierarchical setting even a long standing one. Seems like they have confidence that they can bring it back up a level with Autry moving over a seat.

And maybe that will prove to be true, maybe ultimately it won't.

But betting on themselves makes sense at this time, especially given the promotion.

If GMAC were professionally insulted by Red getting the job, then I expect he would have left. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

And maybe that will prove to be true, maybe ultimately it won't.

But betting on themselves makes sense at this time, especially given the promotion.

Ultimately a lot rides on who they bring into fill the vacancy. Outside hire and big time recruiter can help make all their jobs easier thus its such a critical addition. Bench coach I say is open ended but the right addition there as well if they go that route.. can also make their jobs easier. Winning cures many ailments but spreading out the accountability is an important part as well.

I think GMac could do well at Albany or Siena and there is a good chance that one of those opens up next offseason.

If we are really good the next couple of seasons he could skip that step and land an A10 or another upper mid-major gig.

If he likes where he is and who he is working for/with there is no rush to jump to a HC job. Especially this cycle. Being patient could pay off big.

Ultimately a lot rides on who they bring into fill the vacancy. Outside hire and big time recruiter can help make all their jobs easier thus its such a critical addition. Bench coach I say is open ended but the right addition there as well if they go that route.. can also make their jobs easier. Winning cures many ailments but spreading out the accountability is an important part as well.
Can someone explain what the role of "Bench Coach" is? (Especially in relation to the other coaches). Thanks.

Can someone explain what the role of "Bench Coach" is? (Especially in relation to the other coaches). Thanks.
Basically, someone who has experience as a head coach and can provide advice on strategy and game management.

Congrats to GMac. I'm already liking what I'm seeing on the recruiting trail. Full crew out there and pounding the pavement together. I know we talk about what coach is tethered to what recruit, and it's obviously important, but it was awesome seeing them all out on the trail together.

So let's get Judah back, maybe Jesse, great start with JJ and land a few more.

Then we can see how these guys do on gameday in the fall.

Very excited.

If it was that high. wouldn't the assistants be on the list of top 5 earners the university has to release?
Hop was on it when it’s been previously released. Can’t speak for Autry.

Basically, someone who has experience as a head coach and can provide advice on strategy and game management.
I feel like it takes a very unique set of personalities to be able to handle a dynamic like that. The head coach needs to be 0% threatened by the assistant.

I remember George Blaney often having that role at UConn with Calhoun. He would draw up plays and basically lead the huddle while Calhoun stood by.

Hop was on it when it’s been previously released. Can’t speak for Autry.
You are right. Hop was on there in 2016 when he made $611K total compensation. I had forgotten about that.

Assistant men's basketball coach Gerry McNamara '06 has been promoted to associate head coach at his alma mater, according to the Syracuse University Athletics Department.

"I am pleased Gerry will remain on our staff," said Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack. "He's earned this well-deserved promotion to Associate Head Coach. Gerry is an excellent recruiter and has done tremendous work developing our guards. I'm thrilled he will continue to grow his career at Syracuse."

COACH AUTRY ON McNAMARA

"Our program is fortunate to be able to have a quality coach like Gerry McNamara," said Autry. "He has symbolized the uniqueness of our program as a player and as an assistant coach. I am grateful to have him remain on our staff."

COACH McNAMARA

"I appreciate the chance to continue to coach at Syracuse University and help Coach Autry build on the program's history of success," said McNamara. "The community has meant the world to my family and I over the years. I know as a staff we are eager to hit the ground running and get right to work."

FrRZLNRXsAEPoZJ
Great news!

Gerry is only 39. He got a nice pay bump. His kids are still young.

If Red kills it here, GMac will probably get looks from much more high level schools because he will be a big part of that success. Maybe he’d rather keep his family here for a while

yep.

The logic and reasoning are sound for professional and personal reasons for sure. If they are successful at Syracuse, Gerry is looking at some really nice jobs in a year or two. Just a different route to get a nice HC gig at some point really

yep.

The logic and reasoning are sound for professional and personal reasons for sure. If they are successful at Syracuse, Gerry is looking at some really nice jobs in a year or two. Just a different route to get a nice HC gig at some point really

Win win on the front of incentive for Gerry that a HC spot is right around the corner if he is all in to have a nice turnaround in program performance. Great way to quickly expand the Cuse coaching tree and influence.

I think GMac could do well at Albany or Siena and there is a good chance that one of those opens up next offseason.

If we are really good the next couple of seasons he could skip that step and land an A10 or another upper mid-major gig.

If he likes where he is and who he is working for/with there is no rush to jump to a HC job. Especially this cycle. Being patient could pay off big.
Albany yes, Siena no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom