Gmac | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

kcsu

Living Legend
Ill start by saying that i have zero insight,zero knowledge of gmac as a person,coach, or recruiter.
The only facts that i know are that he was a very good and loved player for us. He was provided with an assistants job with little experience and he has been a primary recruiter for us on high profile recruits that we have lost out on.
My question is simple: Is Gmac our best assistant coach recruiter? If not who is and why does JB seem to favor him when it comes to this critical role?

This. If Knox commits to Duke and Young to Kentucky this thread would've been singing a different tune.
Of course but that can be said about most situations. If he had only made that shot...if that wasnt a charge...if the weather was better... In actuality the staff understands the potential dynamics. Again simple question. Is he a good recruiter? Should he be our primary assistant coach in charge of recruiting. My answer is i dont know but with Hop gone JB needs to make a call on this and on the surface it seems to be Gmac.

Ill start by saying that i have zero insight,zero knowledge of gmac as a person,coach, or recruiter.
The only facts that i know are that he was a very good and loved player for us. He was provided with an assistants job with little experience and he has been a primary recruiter for us on high profile recruits that we have lost out on.
My question is simple: Is Gmac our best assistant coach recruiter? If not who is and why does JB seem to favor him when it comes to this critical role?
I don't know the answer but he is selling a product. Are they saying he's a bad salesman or are there better preferred products. Maybe our product needs new packaging

I don't know the answer but he is selling a product. Are they saying he's a bad salesman or are there better preferred products. Maybe our product needs new packaging

Gmac is my favorite player of all time, I love the guy, but I just don't think he is a good salesman, he doesn't have the dynamic personality needed to be a good recruiter.

Look, it's possible both Green and Tucker will end up being great college players with long NBA careers after they move on. But to be honest, even though I know we must have lost recruits in the last 10-15 years we absolutely felt we needed at the time, I'm hard pressed to remember any of them except maybe Anthony Davis and Julius Hodge. I think there are a lot of things in play at the moment that you can point to as to why we lost these two guys, but GMac is really low on the list imo. Fact is they were enamored with their Duke and UK offers and jumped at the chance to play there.

Of course but that can be said about most situations. If he had only made that shot...if that wasnt a charge...if the weather was better... In actuality the staff understands the potential dynamics. Again simple question. Is he a good recruiter? Should he be our primary assistant coach in charge of recruiting. My answer is i dont know but with Hop gone JB needs to make a call on this and on the surface it seems to be Gmac.
Tucker said he had already picked us over GT, and then the offer from Duke arrived. Green has alluded to the same.

Look, it's possible both Green and Tucker will end up being great college players with long NBA careers after they move on. But to be honest, even though I know we must have lost recruits in the last 10-15 years we absolutely felt we needed at the time, I'm hard pressed to remember any of them except maybe Anthony Davis and Julius Hodge. I think there are a lot of things in play at the moment that you can point to as to why we lost these two guys, but GMac is really low on the list imo. Fact is they were enamored with their Duke and UK offers and jumped at the chance to play there.

I think the fact that everyone is going overboard over losing the number 40 recruit shows you how far recruiting has fallen, Tucker is by no means a savior or an Anthony Davis type, but we needed him with all of the other misses that we had.

Just from an outsiders perspective it seems like to me that he's grooming Gmac just like he did Hop. Some are are being pretty critical of Gmac considering the circumstances that he lost his recruits to Kentucky and Duke. It has to be hard recruiting when your HC is JB's age and the uncertainty if jb will be there to coach recruit. I think he can do the job but JB has to more active in recruiting or no matter how good Gmac is won't matter!

Last edited:
Something went on with our recruiting this year and it probably was more complex than just Gmac. Something was going on between JB and Hop and that friction seems to have resulted in neither putting any effort into recruiting until after Hop left. Affect went beyond just Green and Tucker. Consider Cam Reddish class of 2018. Now this kid is a top 5 recruit and highly likely will end up going to UK or Duke. We were on him way early. Years early. We were on his top 10 list for interest. Now he comes out with a new list and SU is out...while Miami and UConn are on the list. When that happens it's another signal that something is wrong or was wrong this past year with our recruiting.

Read the post. Its not critical of anyone. Its a question.

Right.

Why did we stop going after Tucker in the first place(don't tell me I know the answer)?

Was that Gmacs decision?

Gmac came in second to Duke and U.K. Most guys are going to have that happen to them.

I have more of an issue with the overall recruiting strategy this cycle. Specifically not casting a wider net. I think that's been rectified for 2018, but we need to see results first.

These problems started before Gmac was made as the lead recruiter.

I think the fact that everyone is going overboard over losing the number 40 recruit shows you how far recruiting has fallen, Tucker is by no means a savior or an Anthony Davis type, but we needed him with all of the other misses that we had.

Everybody is not going overboard, just some people.

Read the post. Its not critical of anyone. Its a question.

I read it. Your premise started with the phase Gmac was "provided with an assistant coach's job."

The post is a very thin veiled take down. If you don't recognize it, your bias is more ingrained than most.

Cool, another bash GMac thread. Fact is he brought us to the cusp in these 2 kids. In the end Kentucky and Duke closed, we didn't. It's not GMac sole responsibility to be the closer. That's jb, the program in general and the desires of the player. And people really have to stop talking like GMac was handed a 3rd asts job. 2 years as a grad asst and a year as an interim asst coach. I bet that's as much if not more experience than most 3 asts when they start.

Cool, another bash GMac thread. Fact is he brought us to the cusp in these 2 kids. In the end Kentucky and Duke closed, we didn't. It's not GMac sole responsibility to be the closer. That's jb, the program in general and the desires of the player. And people really have to stop talking like GMac was handed a 3rd asts job. 2 years as a grad asst and a year as an interim asst coach. I bet that's as much if not more experience than most 3 asts when they start.
More than Hop had, I believe. IIRC, Hop worked with the team (grad asst?) for only a year before he got promoted to asst coach.

Gmac is my favorite player of all time, I love the guy, but I just don't think he is a good salesman, he doesn't have the dynamic personality needed to be a good recruiter.
Serious question. Do you know him personally?

If Knox commits to Duke and Young to Kentucky this thread would've been singing a different tune.

The 'ol what if...If folks weren't so overly sensitive and if we all didn't take ourselves so seriously, commercials such as these may still be considered humorous today. ;):)

Something went on with our recruiting this year and it probably was more complex than just Gmac. Something was going on between JB and Hop and that friction seems to have resulted in neither putting any effort into recruiting until after Hop left. Affect went beyond just Green and Tucker. Consider Cam Reddish class of 2018. Now this kid is a top 5 recruit and highly likely will end up going to UK or Duke. We were on him way early. Years early. We were on his top 10 list for interest. Now he comes out with a new list and SU is out...while Miami and UConn are on the list. When that happens it's another signal that something is wrong or was wrong this past year with our recruiting.
You can't have it both ways. If you recognize where he's headed, then what does it matter if we make his Top 10 or not? Eight of those schools have no shot. Why waste the time and energy? Remember when Michael Porter Jr. said he wanted to play here? The coaching staff was right then and they're right now.

He may not be able to relate. He played in Scranton and had a rural upbringing. For the most part he is trying to relate to inner city kids. Hop had a similar background but also had the advantage of hanging with Jim all those years when JB was the lead. For my part i think it should always be a tandom effort with JB as the closer. Depending on the situation put gmac with red or griff put griff and red together on some. In short order kids will gravitate towards whom they are comfortable with. I would make it a team approach.

Right.

Why did we stop going after Tucker in the first place(don't tell me I know the answer)?

Was that Gmacs decision?

Gmac came in second to Duke and U.K. Most guys are going to have that happen to them.

I have more of an issue with the overall recruiting strategy this cycle. Specifically not casting a wider net. I think that's been rectified for 2018, but we need to see results first.

These problems started before Gmac was made as the lead recruiter.

This pretty much sums it up. Q Green gave us all indications that he wasn't coming here...because he kept saying he was but wouldnt say it publicly. Someone on our staff with a stubborn personality refused to put plan B into action until it was waaaay too late.

Shai Alexander would have committed months before the Green saga unfolded. But we held out for Green.

Serious question. Do you know him personally?

No I don't, but I have heard him speak many times, and judging by what others say on here, I kind of get that idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom