Gmac | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

The way I read Jake's post was that Gerry has a fledgling relationship with the programs that Green and Tucker came out of and thus he organically became the "lead" recruiter. OR they are trying to let Gerry establish himself with strong relationships in those programs so that he is more likely to have success with them in the future. Viewed in that light, dumping Gerry now would mean that we paid the up front cost of him building those relationships and then never stuck around to reap the benefits.

There you go. Exactly.

I get that. At what point do we expect to see GMac reeling in the PTPers, baby?!?!?!?

Don't know, of course. But I definitely came out of the Green recruitment with a feeling that the N-G coach sorta felt he "owed one" to Gerry. Who knows if that means anything at all but I get the feeling that getting those scars and still doing your best to be about the kids is what builds loyalty between prep coaches and college coaches.

And both of which gave verbals before spurning for big dogs. Give up the Gerry bashing people.
We keep getting duped by divas. Can happen to anyone

There you go. Exactly.
We recruited Neumann Goretti less than a decade ago for Rick Jackson and Scoop Jardine.

JB already has the relationship with that HS coach and he pretty much have contacts in all the Northeast hotbeds or did while Hop was an assistant.
GMac didn't need to be groomed for Quade Green. JB chose to give him that recruitment. Most of the work was done while Hop was still here.

JB didn't need to groom GMac as the team was going to be Hop's next year and while GMac would have likely been on his staff it's not JBs call to groom GMac.

If he wants to buildup contacts go to AAU events which he has. It still doesn't mean the guy's performance can't be frustrating for fans.

So...you have been there on recruiting trips and visits? How do u know what his personality is like at those times?

You don't need to be, I have met Calipari, but you wouldn't need to spend anytime with the man to know that he could sell snow to the eskimoes.

We recruited Neumann Goretti less than a decade ago for Rick Jackson and Scoop Jardine.

JB already has the relationship with that HS coach and he pretty much have contacts in all the Northeast hotbeds or did while Hop was an assistant.
GMac didn't need to be groomed for Quade Green. JB chose to give him that recruitment. Most of the work was done while Hop was still here.

JB didn't need to groom GMac as the team was going to be Hop's next year and while GMac would have likely been on his staff it's not JBs call to groom GMac.

If he wants to buildup contacts go to AAU events which he has. It still doesn't mean the guy's performance can't be frustrating for fans.

Yeah but JB was on his way out and Hops role was about to change. I'm really trying to see what your point is here. It just seems like no matter what is happening you don't like it. That is a position to take I guess. But if alleviating frustration is your goal I think you are on the wrong track with this approach.

Don't know, of course. But I definitely came out of the Green recruitment with a feeling that the N-G coach sorta felt he "owed one" to Gerry. Who knows if that means anything at all but I get the feeling that getting those scars and still doing your best to be about the kids is what builds loyalty between prep coaches and college coaches.
Ja'Quan Newton from N&G wanted to come to Cuse and we didn't extend attention for him.

So that coach owes us nothing.

Yeah but JB was on his way out and Hops role was about to change. I'm really trying to see what your point is here. It just seems like no matter what is happening you don't like it. That is a position to take I guess. But if alleviating frustration is your goal I think you are on the wrong track with this approach.
No you are all-in on people can't be frustrated and basically go after any post which expresses even legit criticism.
JB and GMac can be criticized. This roster right now is way below average for an ACC team and that is on JB.

In our set up...the assistants have the best relationships with hs and AAU coaches. Not JB.

"We" didn't recruit Newman Goretti. Hop did.

FYI...Hop was advocating that we pass on Green months before we got snubbed. He had a feeling it was going south.

In our set up...the assistants have the best relationships with hs and AAU coaches. Not JB.

FYI...Hop was advocating that we pass on Green months before we got snubbed. He had a feeling it was going south.
Thank you for the information I am sure not a lot of the fanbase knew.

So if you don't mind who was making the decisions last year in recruiting? Hop or JB?

Did JB decide to put GMac on Green because Hop was exactly right on how it would play out?

As if JB was giving more responsibility to GMac over putting his best assistant on Green for JBs last season as HC and needing this player looks really stupid to gamble giving GMac his chops on.

Thank you for the information I am sure not a lot of the fanbase knew.

So if you don't mind who was making the decisions last year in recruiting? Hop or JB?

Did JB decide to put GMac on Green because Hop was exactly right on how it would play out?

As if JB was giving more responsibility to GMac over putting his best assistant on Green for JBs last season as HC and needing this player looks really stupid to gamble giving GMac his chops on.
JB. Hop was never given control.

Thanks for that last tidbit Jake, great call by Hopkins wish we listened.

JB. Hop was never given control.
So then JB the summary is this.

JB in his final season as HC put GMac on the priority recruit over his top assistant who was becoming the next HC so that he could give reps to the upper and comer assistant and build him up for the future.

That seems to give off the impression that their was a lot more friction between Hop and JB than meets the eye.

So how can this be construed as anything but an aging "ceo" mailing it in while collecting a fat paycheck, until the shareholders finally oust him?
I am frustrated by JB recruiting decisions the last few years but it appears that he didn't want to leave and Hop leaving has re-energized him.

Thanks for the info, that's great to know. I just find it odd that if Hop felt that way we didn't set up a plan B? Seems like a power move to completely ignore the opinion of your lead recruiter and be so stubborn to believe Green is all Orange when there were a lot of good prospects still available.

Gerry just needs to land a big fish. It will buy years of rope from the fanbase. Knowing Gerry as a player, no one is probably more pissed than he is that he didn't win these recruiting battles.

As someone stated, he's taking a few lumps that will hopefully pay off down the road.

Gerry just needs to land a big fish. It will buy years of rope from the fanbase. Knowing Gerry as a player, no one is probably more pissed than he is that he didn't win these recruiting battles.

As someone stated, he's taking a few lumps that will hopefully pay off down the road.

Do we have the luxury of waiting for him to earn his stripes? Look at production not what you want it to be. We need someone with deep AAU connections does GMAC have any established relationships in place?

No you are all-in on people can't be frustrated and basically go after any post which expresses even legit criticism.
JB and GMac can be criticized. This roster right now is way below average for an ACC team and that is on JB.

It's not true. I go after posts which express unreasonable one-sided extreme views. For instance, many fans have stated, in so many words, that they are more competitive on behalf of the program than our coaches are. I find that silly and so when I see it used as a basis for sweeping conclusions, I speak out. Similarly when fans think they know more about the recruiting landscape, the internal state of the program, etc.

I do think mistakes are made by our staff, but I also think that legitimate strategies are panned as egregious errors sometimes when they don't work out perfectly.

Do we have the luxury of waiting for him to earn his stripes? Look at production not what you want it to be. We need someone with deep AAU connections does GMAC have any established relationships in place?

Fair question no doubt

Can you list each player we have gotten and each player we haven't that we seriously recruited and then who their main recruiter was? Don't cherry pick a couple, please give a full accounting.
Bees why dont you and save us the time.

This is very interesting. Goes along with what I've heard that there is frustration on the part of assistant coaches over the disconnect with JB regarding recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom