Gmac | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

O
No I don't, but I have heard him speak many times, and judging by what others say on here, I kind of get that idea.
OK. I just think sometimes a narrative sprouts legs and takes on a life of its own. I thinkmit speaks volumes that JB trusts him. I assume he gets feedback from recruits and families. I appreciate your civil response to what could have been taken as more challenging than I intended.

He may not be able to relate. He played in Scranton and had a rural upbringing. For the most part he is trying to relate to inner city kids. Hop had a similar background but also had the advantage of hanging with Jim all those years when JB was the lead. For my part i think it should always be a tandom effort with JB as the closer. Depending on the situation put gmac with red or griff put griff and red together on some. In short order kids will gravitate towards whom they are comfortable with. I would make it a team approach.

Totally. I agree it was JB's hardscrabble upbringing in the inner city projects that let him teach Hopkins how to deal with kids from that environment. Sort of reminds me of a guy like Calipari, who overcame a gang infested upbringing and broke himself out of an improverished urban upbringing, harassment from the police, drug dealers as role models, etc. I think you really have nailed it.

This board is great. Loves to criticize players. Loves to criticize the assistants, but god forbid JB get any criticism at all smh.
Are we allowed to criticize JB?

I get hammered when I say he was lazy the last year.

He is the one who gives out the recruiting assignments and he was the one who doesn't cast a wide net in recruiting players.

We are in the situation we are in right because of Jim Boeheim.

He is the one who gives out the recruiting assignments and he was the one who doesn't cast a wide net in recruiting players.

I think some of what you said has a ton of validity but JB was expecting Hop to take the reigns so he allowed him to handle the recruiting for his first team. I don't agree with this strategy one bit but I don't think anyone expected Hop to not be here. So JB is most definitely to fault because he should've been trying to make a huge splash in his final year which I think he did the opposite then tried to get involved way too late

Maybe he's overrated
Obviously a take on his playing ability but some people take any type of potential criticism way too far. If words don't clarify it, you need to use emojis for effect. ;)
I'm going to put my two cents in and say that I am happy with recruiting subsequent to Hop leaving. Prior to that it did leave itself open for criticism. No one should be throwing stones about Tucker's recruitment. It's not the coaches effort that caused him to choose Duke.

I think some of what you said has a ton of validity but JB was expecting Hop to take the reigns so he allowed him to handle the recruiting for his first team. I don't agree with this strategy one bit but I don't think anyone expected Hop to not be here. So JB is most definitely to fault because he should've been trying to make a huge splash in his final year which I think he did the opposite then tried to get involved way too late
See, I think he was trying to make a huge splash and it backfired. Look at all the guys who came to visit a little over a year ago. We don't normally go after that many elite prospects. And because JB prefers to go all in on those types of players, we wound up missing on all of them.

Either way you want to look at it, we both agree who is to blame.

Why no wide net ? Is it more of he's trying to show loyalty to the recruits (which doesn't seem to work)or is he that specific on the players he wants ? Perhaps it's a combination. I've been a JB supporter for years , but am baffled on recruiting strategies lately.

This pretty much sums it up. Q Green gave us all indications that he wasn't coming here...because he kept saying he was but wouldnt say it publicly. Someone on our staff with a stubborn personality refused to put plan B into action until it was waaaay too late.

Shai Alexander would have committed months before the Green saga unfolded. But we held out for Green.
LOL, so UK decided to take both Green and Alexander. Those punks. I often wonder how coaches can actually be "friends," with one another. I guess I wonder how any competing coach is friends with Calipari. He's grabbed some big time players that could have changed our fortunes. Just recently, I can name, Dakari Johnson, Hami, Quade, Nick Richards, and perhaps even the Unibrow, etc, whom we were right in on.

What I don't understand is why he keeps being put as the lead recruiter for some of our highest rated and most important recruits. I understand he got beat out by Kentucky and Duke but at some point you have to produce. People can say I'm bashing him or JB but until we start winning these battles the criticism is valid.

Obviously a take on his playing ability but some people take any type of potential criticism way too far. If words don't clarify it, you need to use emojis for effect. ;)
I'm going to put my two cents in and say that I am happy with recruiting subsequent to Hop leaving. Prior to that it did leave itself open for criticism. No one should be throwing stones about Tucker's recruitment. It's not the coaches effort that caused him to choose Duke.
Results aside - I agree as the staff seems to be expending effort recently. I wish I didn't have to complete that sentence with -recently. Where was that effort from JB and Hop last year? Was not apparent.

We lost one recruit to Kentucky and another to Duke.

It's not like we're losing recruiting battles to AAC schools.

And both of which gave verbals before spurning for big dogs. Give up the Gerry bashing people.

Last edited:
Gmac is my favorite player of all time, I love the guy, but I just don't think he is a good salesman, he doesn't have the dynamic personality needed to be a good recruiter.

So...you have been there on recruiting trips and visits? How do u know what his personality is like at those times?

The track record of how coaching legends who spent decades at one school end their careers isn't pretty. Coaches get old, they get inflexible, they start coasting and assume the good times will continue because they have been good so for so long.

Beyond that, uncertainty kills. The only thing a recruit knows going forward is that 1) It is overwhelmingly unlikely Boeheim will be the coach 4 years from now and 2) You have no idea who will replace him and whether you will fit into that system or will get along with that coach. That uncertainty is a major headwind, and will remain so until the transition away from Boeheim is complete.

This board is great. Loves to criticize players. Loves to criticize the assistants, but god forbid JB get any criticism at all smh.
I hear ya. I have said it a hundred times on here that the coaching staff needs to clean house on almost everyone. Start with time for HCJB to ride off to the sunset for retirement. He has earn it and now is the time to go. No need to keep everyone from staff to recruits to fans wondering if he or when will he retire. The assistant coaches are ex players from SU. They may have been anywhere from good to great players for us but that doesn't mean or give them a pass on how good of coaching or recruiters they are. We need to bring in a good young coach from another school who has proved that he can win and recruit and coach these kids and bring this school back to the prime it once was. He needs to bring in assistant coaches who also can coach and recruit. We are so far behind in recruiting that I am afraid it will take 10 years to put us back on par. Hopkins is gone and to be honest I don't know if that is good or bad but the coaches we have now , maybe other than "Red" , may be able to coach and recruit some. The others to me hasn't done nothing to improve the players of these teams we put on the floor. We should have had some of these top recruits locked up but for some reason no one can close the deal. We need a change and it needs to be may very soon or it getting further and further behind. Just saying.

I'm not a believer in GMac the coach. I think he lives a charmed life to some extent. Seems to me that he's given a long leash on some things. Boeheim do what Boeheim do, so GMac's in the family and Boeheim lives with that good and bad, but I think we could get a more productive coach on the staff relatively easily. GMac is the definition of the guy that I think needs to prove his stripes elsewhere.

That said, I carry a lot of bias here because I am in the camp that think the legend of GMac vastly overshadows the reality of GMac the player. GMac had a special ability to come up in the clutch, but overall, I wasn't a fan of his game. Just not in love with inefficient guards that that take bad shots. So I realize that part of my issues with GMac the coach come from my assessment of GMac the player.

And both of which gave verbals before spurning for big dogs. Give up the Gerry bashing people.
At what point does it become a question of if Gerry is destined to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride?

The guy has more losses than wins on the recruiting ledger.:noidea:

What I don't understand is why he keeps being put as the lead recruiter for some of our highest rated and most important recruits. I understand he got beat out by Kentucky and Duke but at some point you have to produce. People can say I'm bashing him or JB but until we start winning these battles the criticism is valid.

It doesn't work like that. It's not like the staff identifies players nationwide they want and then assign a lead recruiter.

More often than not you establish trust and a relationship within certain AAU circles and then recruit players within those circles that fit your system.

There have a boatload of great players that fit our system that we simply ignore because we have little to no chance of getting. Because we don't have a relationship in those circles, or a team that is recruiting the kid has s strong relationship.

It's what makes Duke and UK so tough because they are among the very few schools who can wrestle a kid from you without those types of relationships.

Gmac is relatively new, so his relationships are newer...Hop and Red have built up more trust and therefore will have / had more success.

At what point does it become a question of if Gerry is destined to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride?

The guy has more losses than wins on the recruiting ledger.:noidea:

Can you list each player we have gotten and each player we haven't that we seriously recruited and then who their main recruiter was? Don't cherry pick a couple, please give a full accounting.

It doesn't work like that. It's not like the staff identifies players nationwide they want and then assign a lead recruiter.

More often than not you establish trust and a relationship within certain AAU circles and then recruit players within those circles that fit your system.

There have a boatload of great players that fit our system that we simply ignore because we have little to no chance of getting. Because we don't have a relationship in those circles, or a team that is recruiting the kid has s strong relationship.

It's what makes Duke and UK so tough because they are among the very few schools who can wrestle a kid from you without those types of relationships.

Gmac is relatively new, so his relationships are newer...Hop and Red have built up more trust and therefore will have / had more success.
Then why does JB not put Red on the priority recruits?

Francis has told us Autry has Mid-Atlantic contacts especially in DC AAU.

GMac doesn't have those contacts. I wouldn't use GMac on Green as the lead recruiter. Put your top dog on him. Tucker I give Gmac credit but we lost to Duke brand name.

I think GMac being given these priority assignments is part of the problem.

Can you list each player we have gotten and each player we haven't that we seriously recruited and then who their main recruiter was? Don't cherry pick a couple, please give a full accounting.
Everybody we've missed on/we got but sucks = GMac

All of our legends/every recruit we got that elite programs wanted = any coach that's not GMac

I mean, come on, Bees. Full accounting on mother's day? My wife's already annoyed I'm looking at my phone at all.

Everybody we've missed on/we got but sucks = GMac

All of our legends/every recruit we got that elite programs wanted = any coach that's not GMac

I mean, come on, Bees. Full accounting on mother's day? My wife's already annoyed I'm looking at my phone at all.

Lol. Well done.

Then why does JB not put Red on the priority recruits?

Francis has told us Autry has Mid-Atlantic contacts especially in DC AAU.

GMac doesn't have those contacts. I wouldn't use GMac on Green as the lead recruiter. Put your top dog on him. Tucker I give Gmac credit but we lost to Duke brand name.

I think GMac being given these priority assignments is part of the problem.

The way I read Jake's post was that Gerry has a fledgling relationship with the programs that Green and Tucker came out of and thus he organically became the "lead" recruiter. OR they are trying to let Gerry establish himself with strong relationships in those programs so that he is more likely to have success with them in the future. Viewed in that light, dumping Gerry now would mean that we paid the up front cost of him building those relationships and then never stuck around to reap the benefits.

The way I read Jake's post was that Gerry has a fledgling relationship with the programs that Green and Tucker came out of and thus he organically became the "lead" recruiter. OR they are trying to let Gerry establish himself with strong relationships in those programs so that he is more likely to have success with them in the future. Viewed in that light, dumping Gerry now would mean that we paid the up front cost of him building those relationships and then never stuck around to reap the benefits.
I get that. At what point do we expect to see GMac reeling in the PTPers, baby?!?!?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom