Gmac | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

Status
Not open for further replies.
You clearly do not know Gerry at all. Maybe you've not even met him. He has a delightful personality. He's smart, funny, and he always says the right thing. The players love him. Recruits love him. He has a great wife and four great kids. I'm not taking a position in the JB succession discussion here, but I had to take issue with your description of Gerry as "a cardboard box." You clearly do not know him.

I’ll rephrase my comment. Gerry doesn’t have a dynamic public persona. He also knows his hoops and reminds me of JB in that regard.

I don’t literally think he’s a cardboard box or a savant.

In The Office, Michael Scott was the companies top salesman before he got Peter Principle’d.

I thought that would be a more ubiquitous reference.
OK Never watched the show, but it sounds like what we are talking about.

Now that Beulein is estsblished as the favorite at Siena, is GMac a candidate at Lemoyne? Does being a head coach in D2 supercede being an assistant at a P5 in the eventual goal of being a D1 head coach? Besides Gerry already has plenty of assistant experience at a P5. Beilein turned down an assistant job at Michigan under his dad to stay at Lemoyne. Now look at him, top man at Siena, a school with a track record of coaches taking over P5 programs.

I’ll rephrase my comment. Gerry doesn’t have a dynamic public persona. He also knows his hoops and reminds me of JB in that regard.

I don’t literally think he’s a cardboard box or a savant.

A lot of coaches with “dynamic public personnas” come across as annoying, phony toolbags...to me. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’ll take a coach with Gerry’s public persona any day. Good guy. Normal guy. Works for most people, IMO.

I think part of it is that Gerry has the personality of a cardboard box. If you ever listen to him talk basketball though, he’s a savant. Sounds a lot like JB who is regarded as a genius around here.
not just around here . . . among his peers (of which there are few)

as far as "experience" goes: jb had been an assistant for 4 years when he got the syracuse gig. gmac has already been on the staff for 8, a full assistant for 7.

You clearly do not know Gerry at all. Maybe you've not even met him. He has a delightful personality. He's smart, funny, and he always says the right thing. The players love him. Recruits love him. He has a great wife and four great kids. I'm not taking a position in the JB succession discussion here, but I had to take issue with your description of Gerry as "a cardboard box." You clearly do not know him.
People often say that Einstein’s statement on the definition of insanity is not correctly attributed. As a father of 3 boys, I can tell you that Einstein actually said “the definition of insanity is having 4 kids. The end.”

Who did Hopkins replace on the staff? Tim O’Toole? Hop was only 1 year removed from being a player when he got his assistant coaching slot wasn’t he? Were people back then saying he didn’t deserve the slot because he hadn’t “cut his teeth” at other programs? Or did they trust the future hall of fame coach’s judgement that he knew if a guy he coached for 4 years would make s good addition to his staff or not?

Serious question.

Is there a list of who Gmac has brought in?

Off the top of my head,

Patterson
Moyer
Sidibe

Goodine

Serious question.

Off the top of my head,

Patterson
Moyer
Sidibe

Goodine

I believe the list above it accurate. He had nothing to do with Carey - zero.

So he has essentially 2 Fs, an incomplete and a we'll see.

He needs to show more but seems to be on the right track, especially if he's a candidate to be JBs replacement.

A lot of coaches with “dynamic public personnas” come across as annoying, phony toolbags...to me. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’ll take a coach with Gerry’s public persona any day. Good guy. Normal guy. Works for most people, IMO.

Absolutely. Not everybody needs to be a snake oil salesman, if you do your job well it speaks for itself. I think the Belein's are a pretty good example. I would hope Gerry takes a HC Gig sooner rather than later. Yes, I think Lemoyne would be a great starting spot for him.

Who did Hopkins replace on the staff? Tim O’Toole? Hop was only 1 year removed from being a player when he got his assistant coaching slot wasn’t he? Were people back then saying he didn’t deserve the slot because he hadn’t “cut his teeth” at other programs? Or did they trust the future hall of fame coach’s judgement that he knew if a guy he coached for 4 years would make s good addition to his staff or not?
You make an interesting point, but I do see the situations a little bit differently.

O'Toole leaves, it opens a spot, and Hopkins gets the job.

The Fine stuff hits, Bernie goes away, GMac gets a bump.

Absent ESPN taking a torch to Bernie Fine, what does GMac's career path look like?

Now, a lot of time has passed so regardless of how he started, GMac by experience alone has certainly achieved a certain level.

I just don't know how good he is. As a recruiter, his results aren't overwhelming. That's fair, right? We don't see behind the scenes way the coaching is like, so I have no idea how good he is in that respect. People here say he's good, and they may be right, so we really don't know. We do know that there are a lot of people in the coaching fraternity that aren't good, so we can't say that just because he's in the club that it guarantees anything.

This is why I think it's good for GMac, for himself, to leave. He needs to be tested. Right now he lives in Boeheim's shadow with a fan base that gives him the benefit of the doubt because he made big shots in huge moments. That's comfortable. Comfortable isn't necessarily the best environment for growth though. If he gets the keys someday, he needs to do a lot of growing between now and then, and I don't believe he can do all of that here.

Serious question.

Off the top of my head,

Patterson
Moyer
Sidibe

Goodine
If he was reeling these recruits in for a school like Siena, then yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good job. People sometimes forget that the standards at Syracuse are a bit higher. An assistant with no previous HC experience needs to excel in a couple different facets -- and recruiting is one of them. I'm not going to write off Gerry yet because he has 4 years to enhance his resume. But as of now he has a lot of work to do and shouldn't be on the radar. Red's resume is better and even he doesn't strike me as someone who should be given the keys to the kingdom. National search or ask Hop for his demands if JB decided to retire today.

GMac, not really having a good day here...

DC-Comic-Movie-Walking-Dead-Villain-Negan-Black-Cosplay-Suit-Coat-Jacket-Cloth-For-Adult-Men.jpg_640x640.jpg

If he was reeling these recruits in for a school like Siena, then yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good job. People sometimes forget that the standards at Syracuse are a bit higher. An assistant with no previous HC experience needs to excel in a couple different facets -- and recruiting is one of them. I'm not going to write off Gerry yet because he has 4 years to enhance his resume. But as of now he has a lot of work to do and shouldn't be on the radar. Red's resume is better and even he doesn't strike me as someone who should be given the keys to the kingdom. National search or ask Hop for his demands if JB decided to retire today.

Nobody throws Red under the bus do they? Sometimes I swear you don't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom