Gmac | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gmac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love GMAC - love him. However, if I’m the AD hiring from within, I’m hiring Red all day while also considering GMAC as an option if Red turned it down (he wouldn’t). If I’m doing a national search, Red still makes my list, GMAC does not.

When GMac was a player at SU he walked on water according to most posters here. Not that that was crazy because he had an incredible career. Now as an assistant he gets criticized constantly compared to the other assistants. Kinda strange.

When GMac was a player at SU he walked on water according to most posters here. Not that that was crazy because he had an incredible career. Now as an assistant he gets criticized constantly compared to the other assistants. Kinda strange.
No its not strange. His playing days provided him an opportunity to coach. They didnt guaranty success.

No its not strange. His playing days provided him an opportunity to coach. They didnt guaranty success.

You can say that about Griffin and Autry too, both of whom aren’t targeted nearly as much as Gmac.

At least on the court you could see and evaluate his body of work.
I doubt that more than one or two among us has the inside info to truly evaluate him as a coach.
Since when was inside info, or any actual facts at all, required to perform armchair evaluations?

Yeah all I have said is I don’t want G-Mac as the next HC with him not moving on first with HC experience.
His recruiting to me has been good enough now.
If he wants the SU job he should get a HC job before. Siena is perfect for him. He could win there. That is what you want in a mid-major job as your first job.
I think GMAC has come along way since he started if you listen to what he says on his show in interviews he knows what the heck is going on.

But when JB’s gone I’ll raise my hand and I want to say I want the best available coach in the country!

If Syracuse is too cheap to pay for the best coach in the country then I want the best one we can get,whoever that may be.

I think GMAC has come along way since he started if you listen to what he says on his show in interviews he knows what the heck is going on.

But when JB’s gone I’ll raise my hand and I want to say I want the best available coach in the country!

If Syracuse is too cheap to pay for the best coach in the country then I want the best one we can get,whoever that may be.
We've seen it over and over. The best schools go after, and get, the best coaches, and their success keeps rolling on. Lesser schools try to promote former assistants and, with rare exceptions, they often fail to live up to expectations, which were often just wishes and hopes to begin with.

I'm not taking anything at all away from our current crop of assistants, but they are unproven, and yes, there are exceptions. I believe Hop is one, as he's already proving at Washington, and likely would have proven (will prove?) here. I think he's on his way to becoming an elite level coach.

I've read lots of posts here that seem to indicate that Cuse admin won't pony up for an elite coach, and will join the long list of former "power" programs which are now in the "hopers and wishers" category. I don't know if this is based on any real knowledge or just pervasive doom-and-gloom paranoia.

I don't want to overhear, or be involved in, this conversation... "Hey, remember when Syracuse was really good at basketball?"

Attributing success and failure to an assistant coach for recruiting and player development is a tricky game. Seems to me that requires a lot of detailed knowledge that very few, if any, board posters here possess. Why is it that GMac comes in for a lot more criticism re recruiting than the other assistants or the HC?

Attributing success and failure to an assistant coach for recruiting and player development is a tricky game. Seems to me that requires a lot of detailed knowledge that very few, if any, board posters here possess. Why is it that GMac comes in for a lot more criticism re recruiting than the other assistants or the HC?

Because people didn’t think he was qualified to take over for Bernie when he did.

My opinion is he’s contributed a lot more than Bernie did his last 15 years here.

I thought he was great. Had just the vision I want our coaches to have. We are Syracuse. We can recruit anyone.

I sat next to him at the SU Wisconsin game in Boston years ago, we lost the next game to Ohio State. Super nice guy and loves SU.

Because people didn’t think he was qualified to take over for Bernie when he did.
I think this is where a lot of it stems from. Red and Griff cut their teeth at other programs before coming here, and were hired as part of an organized process after a prior assistant got a HC gig. GMac has only coached here and got a battlefield promotion in the wake of the Bernie Fine disaster. As OrangeAl said, very few of us have any real way to evaluate his coaching ability, so I think it's tough to change the narrative from where it was at the start.

I think part of it is that Gerry has the personality of a cardboard box. If you ever listen to him talk basketball though, he’s a savant. Sounds a lot like JB who is regarded as a genius around here.

Trying to promote the fact that GMac or anyone is a great recruiter and that should make them a strong candidate for a head coaching position is short sighted. It's only one component for a first class coach.

It reminds me of two different instances, one in my company and one in a competitor, where the top salesman was promoted to sales manager. Deadly results in both cases. Because you are a great salesman (recruiter) doesn't necessarily extend to the management of others.

Let's hope that Wild, or whoever maybe here when JB retires, throughs out a huge net for our next coach. Anyone, including GMac, Red, Griff or Devo can apply.

I think part of it is that Gerry has the personality of a cardboard box. If you ever listen to him talk basketball though, he’s a savant. Sounds a lot like JB who is regarded as a genius around here.
You clearly do not know Gerry at all. Maybe you've not even met him. He has a delightful personality. He's smart, funny, and he always says the right thing. The players love him. Recruits love him. He has a great wife and four great kids. I'm not taking a position in the JB succession discussion here, but I had to take issue with your description of Gerry as "a cardboard box." You clearly do not know him.

Yeah, he may be very good, but this is where I get frustrated when GMac is discussed. Yes, he's been good to Syracuse. But Syracuse has been very, very good to him too and has arguably given him opportunities he wouldn't have received elsewhere.

That's why I think, for himself, that he needs to leave at some point and prove how much of his success is him and not the environment.

It reminds me of two different instances, one in my company and one in a competitor, where the top salesman was promoted to sales manager. Deadly results in both cases. Because you are a great salesman (recruiter) doesn't necessarily extend to the management of others.

What’s Dunder Mifflin like? Was Diversity Day as awkward as it looked from the outside?

You can say that about Griffin and Autry too, both of whom aren’t targeted nearly as much as Gmac.
Gmac gets targeted because fair or not fair he seems to end up the bridesmaid for some very high profile recruits. Now that sanctions and the hop situation are behind us im hoping he does well.

Gmac gets targeted because fair or not fair he seems to end up the bridesmaid for some very high profile recruits. Now that sanctions and the hop situation are behind us im hoping he does well.

Seems like others have been left at the altar too or were never even invited to the reception.

Google The Office TV show. It was a joke from that show.
Interesting if they used that as part of their plot lines.
I would wager that they got the idea from a similar occurance that I was talking about. It's not that unusual.
If you read the book The Peter Principle you could get a good appreciation for the way this has happened and will happen again and again.
It's the same as one of my favorite expressions. Educated beyond their intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom