"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..." | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..."

Oh, really? Ask our recent opponents if this is true...
Good one.

Well, we have fouled 3 pt shooters at an alarming rate this year. That's because of the defense we play. But as a general rule, 3-point shooters are not fouled in the act of shooting.

Yes it is. Another part of coaching is not overreacting and making wholesale changes, getting away from what you do well, or trying to do things that the team isn't capable of doing just for the sake of change.

I doubt that there is any poster out there--to say nothing of the coaching staff--who expected our three backcourt players to shoot the ball as incredibly poorly collectively as they have this year.

Again, it's not the scheme.

I agree with your premise. But you need to make in season adjustements Our current schemeseems to rely on the 3 point shot. That is going to just get better. I think we are past the point whe it would be overreacting and at the stage whereyou would look and say that wer are 4-5in our last 9 games. Maybe we tysomething different. even if it is BT bringing the ball up and starting the offensive set in a different formation.

Are there any other long-tenured college coaches out there who haven't won an NC?

My point exactly. It took JB 27 years to prove his critics wrong. Without it, he would have been fired. When Hopkins takes over he probaly has a 7 year window to get to a FF.

My point exactly. It took JB 27 years to prove his critics wrong. Without it, he would have been fired. When Hopkins takes over he probaly has a 7 year window to get to a FF.

Well, in fairness, he got there in 1987, and again in 1996, before winning it. And he also had a pretty remarkable track record of success along the way. It isn't like he toiled along playing .500 ball and then suddenly won it all in '03.

Is this a serious post?

He's a fool who cannot conceal his wisdom.
- Benjamin Franklin
how many times did we hear 37 years last night ? 37??? ok.so maybe JB truly believes himself to be brightest man in any room and no one in the press has either the BB IQ or credentials to possibly question anything he does.
but rather than simply brush some of these questions aside he instead chooses to routinely go off on some pompastic lecture and belittle those who dared question his sagacity. if JB truly believes his judgement is infallible and after coaching 37 YEARS the game has nothing new to teach him then it truly is time to get out .

Is this a serious post?

I cant speak to the original post but when Hopkins does take over the expectations will certainly be high, but based on JB's success in the tourney, I dont think many people expect us to be getting to a final four right away.

It's tough to argue with people when they have their blind loyalty blinkers on. I do not buy the argument that none of SU's success would have never happened if it were not for JB. I just pointed out that if it were not for the 2003 NC, JB would not be around today as he would have not had the goodwill he had to survive the scandal. To argue that the he is one of the top 10 coaches ever when he has 1 NC in 37 years is just wrong given the talented that he has recruited and coached. Don't confuse longevity with greatness. I'm not a Boeheim basher, I'm just saying without the NC, he would still be the man who never won the big one.

In college recruiting is part of your coaching resume. You cannot measure a coaches ability without considering how recrutiung is positively impacted by their abilities. The two go hand in hand. You cannot say he isnt a great coach because he hasnt done enough with his talent. He is the reason that talent came here

It's tough to argue with people when they have their blind loyalty blinkers on. I do not buy the argument that none of SU's success would have never happened if it were not for JB. I just pointed out that if it were not for the 2003 NC, JB would not be around today as he would have not had the goodwill he had to survive the scandal. To argue that the he is one of the top 10 coaches ever when he has 1 NC in 37 years is just wrong given the talented that he has recruited and coached. Don't confuse longevity with greatness. I'm not a Boeheim basher, I'm just saying without the NC, he would still be the man who never won the big one.
Always gotta understand where we came from. Sure, in 2012 we can say "Gee, it would have happened without Boeheim" but not if you knew where we were. SU was competitive with Niagara, St. Bonaventure, Canisius. We were essentially a MAAC team in hoops. Here is what the prior coach says:

“You have to give Jimmy all the credit,” announced Danforth, a southerner who escaped our cold (and his low wages) and left for sunny Tulane (and its grander pay scale) in the spring of 1976, and was thereupon succeeded by Boeheim. “What he’s done at Syracuse is miraculous because he did it at what I’ll always consider a football school. If Boeheim had done the same kind of job at North Carolina or Louisville or Tennessee, that’d be one thing. But he did it at Syracuse. And, to me, that’s a miracle.”

Is this a serious post?

Yes. My point to Townie was that Boeheim has had his share of critics - right or wrong - going back to the 80's & 90's and without the NC, I do not think JB would be SU's coach today. Anytime anyone is critical of JB everyone panties get bunched up and the rest of the board bashes that person. You see it throughout this very thread.

He's a fool who cannot conceal his wisdom.
- Benjamin Franklin
how many times did we hear 37 years last night ? 37??? ok.so maybe JB truly believes himself to be brightest man in any room and no one in the press has either the BB IQ or credentials to possibly question anything he does.
but rather than simply brush some of these questions aside he instead chooses to routinely go off on some pompastic lecture and belittle those who dared question his sagacity. if JB truly believes his judgement is infallible and after coaching 37 YEARS the game has nothing new to teach him then it truly is time to get out .
I agree he could handle his frustration with dumb questions better. In fact, I bet he gives some really brief, boring, but polite answers next presser. I think you meant bombastic and not pompastic (is that when you throw pom-poms?).

Yes. My point to Townie was that Boeheim has had his share of critics - right or wrong - going back to the 80's & 90's and without the NC, I do not think JB would be SU's coach today. Anytime anyone is critical of JB everyone panties get bunched up and the rest of the board bashes that person. You see it throughout this very thread.
so getting to a NC game 3 times would mean nothing unless he won one of them... LOL

no i meant pompastic . which is a word i derived to express both pompous and bombastic.
but not to be confused at all with pompetus.
also coined the term "blobble" last night to describe the ball handling skills of our backcourt.
it's a derivation of both blunder and bobble as in "triche blobbles the ball across midcourt"

so getting to a NC game 3 times would mean nothing unless he won one of them... LOL

That is not what I stating if you read my prior posts. Just stating in my opinion, without the NC he would not have survived the Fine scandal and he would still be know as the coach who never one the big one and his critics - right or wrong - would be all over him.

That is not what I stating if you read my prior posts. Just stating in my opinion, without the NC he would not have survived the Fine scandal and he would still be know as the coach who never one the big one and his critics - right or wrong - would be all over him.
Yeah...that's pretty much what I thought you said and what I responded to. You are saying the 3 NC games, if lost, would not have been enough for him to keep his job.

In college recruiting is part of your coaching resume. You cannot measure a coaches ability without considering how recrutiung is positively impacted by their abilities. The two go hand in hand. You cannot say he isnt a great coach because he hasnt done enough with his talent. He is the reason that talent came here

I would take it two steps further and say recruiting is at minimum, 90% of what matters in college (I honestly find it mind-numbing that people still don't grasp this). So kudos to JB on that.

By the same token, the "he doesn't have the necessary horses this year" defense that his ardent supporters keep trotting out there doesn't hold a ton of water for an excuse, imo.

I would take it two steps further and say recruiting is at minimum, 90% of what matters in college (I honestly find it mind-numbing that people still don't grasp this). So kudos to JB on that.
By the same token, the "he doesn't have the necessary horses this year" defense that his ardent supporters keep trotting out there doesn't hold a ton of water for an excuse, imo.
So, you think he has the horses?

Ah, this board feels like it's 2008 all over again. After two losses to good teams.

Ah, this board feels like it's 2008 all over again. After two losses to good teams.

No, it's been 5 losses in the last 9 games.

So, you think he has the horses?

No. I'm saying if the JB apologists wanted to be fair/consistent, they would minimize the wins when he's had tons of talent as well as minimize the losses when they're not super talented, which is what they're doing now. But they only do the latter.
I realize you can say the haters do the opposite and that makes them just as obtuse and that's fine, I don't disagree.

We were having this discussion after the Providence game?

That's irrelevant. It's now a clear, alarming pattern. Against providence, we played arguably our best game of the year, albeit against a clearly inferior opponent. We are dropping like a stone and it's obvious the players are losing their confidence and their coach is getting noticeably more cranky than usual.

That's irrelevant. It's now a clear, alarming pattern. We played arguably our best game of the year, albeit against a clearly inferior opponent. We are dropping like a stone and it's obvious the players are losing their confidence and their coach is getting noticeably more cranky than usual.

Well said. What I have gathered from many on this thread is that when we win, it is because of JB. When we lose, it is because the players did not do what JB has taught them. Tough spot for the players to be in.