Golden To Penn St | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Golden To Penn St

@RapSheet19s
#Browns also showed interest in Vandy's James Franklin. We'll see if they decide to bring him in. He'll be in Pasadena tonight spectating

Hard seeing him go pro.

I don't know.. seems it is the "fashionable thing" for college coaches to do lately.;)

You got to feel bad for LJ. He has put in the time there and they seem to be looking over him. They just want him to recruit and bring in the players but they don't want him to be the face of the team. He should move on to better pastures!

They kept him to keep from dealing with a mass exodus when the 1 year sitting out period was waived. IMO, LJ got played. I don't have any opinion of the guy outside of being very suspicious of anyone that was as ingrained in the PSU program as he was with everything going on, but giving him the benefit of the doubt, the players that he coached and recruited were tied at the hip to him.

If he had walked when everything was coming down, they wouldn't have had to worry about the death penalty, the kids that would have left would have left them with a shell of a team.

I don't usually feel for coaches, but I believe that BOB and LJ (amongst others) got hosed by the people in charge. I don't think LJ was ever going to be considered for HC and I don't think BOB ever was going to be free from the bubble of people loyal to JoePa. Maybe they should have been more aware, maybe not. College football is a business and you should always be looking out for #1.

The optimist in me (which is a very small proportion of me) would suggest that perhaps they're following them b/c they're interested in flipping some of the commits to Vanderbilt.

Uh, did I mention that I'm not much of an optimist?

Still, wouldn't Franklin be sort-of an O'Brienesque quick fix?

He clearly enjoys the attention that NFL teams are giving him. If he does great at Ped State, then his name will be mentioned every year and he'll eventually leave, and if he doesn't do great at Ped State, then that's great in and of itself.

Was hoping it would be Munchak. It's been interesting having the two big coaches in Nashville as the leading candidates for the job; I like Franklin but hope he fails miserably.

Shitttttttt

What's the incremental difference if he is there versus the status quo?

They pretty much get who they want if it's between them and SU/Pitt/BC/Rutgers.

This is a somewhat WAG, but I bet if SU and PSU are going for the same player SU might get 1 in 20, maybe.

Where SU has to improve it's position is against Rutgers/BC/Uconn/Pitt.

Shitttttttt

If anybody should be saying that its MAryland who is now in the same league and will be competing against their former coach in waiting! As Go said, we never beat PSU for recruits anyway, sans Reddish and I guess Franklin if he holds. Maryland is screwed! Townie72 if this happens you gotta give us the inside Maryland perspective, cause its gonna be ugly!

This job has been Franklin's to take or leave since late last week. He will take it. He'll do a lot of damage to us, the Terps, Va Tech and everyone else in PA, NJ, and especially the Tidewater.

Shitttttttt

Would have been great if they hired a dud (Munchak) but I agree with Go. We weren't winning many battles with them as is.

Until Syracuse starts winning consistently and creates some buzz nationally, this likely doesn't affect the Syracuse football program much IMO.

This job has been Franklin's to take or leave since late last week. He will take it. He'll do a lot of damage to us, the Terps, Va Tech and everyone else in PA, NJ, and especially the Tidewater.

No he won't. Vandy will just slip and some mid-Atlantic kid looking at us and them might come here.

Penn State just went through what they went through and had good classes and a kid flip to them - nevermind a program that seemed to be very antiquated under JoePa pre Sandusky revelations.

guy can't take everyone. PSU's bread and butter has been NJ and PA. Throw in a little MD and NY, VA maybe. Franklin is strong in MD and obviously now VA. He'll get the PA guys cause he's at PSU and hes a PA guy, but he can't be everywhere. I truly believe the real losers will be Rutgers and MD. We are starting to look at IL and FL/GA etc for our guys. PSU won't bother us there... They will always get the Thomas Holley's. So whatever!

Last week it was Golden and this week Franklin. We just can't be sure it is not Munchy or some stealth candidate.

Wouldn't the PSU folks be worried about Franklin moving on in a couple of years? Seems weird for all the Paterno disciples to be willing to go outside the "family" after feeling burned by O'Brien.

Last week it was Golden and this week Franklin. We just can't be sure it is not Munchy or some stealth candidate.

Yep, if you go out on a limb with these predictions often enough, you might eventually get one right. Never mind the 27 epic fails that preceded it.

Being in the ACC is, and will be in the future a bigger selling point then the Big 10, we just need to get back to winning. Maryland within 5 years will dearly regret leaving for the Big 10.

What's the incremental difference if he is there versus the status quo?

They pretty much get who they want if it's between them and SU/Pitt/BC/Rutgers.

This is a somewhat WAG, but I bet if SU and PSU are going for the same player SU might get 1 in 20, maybe.

Where SU has to improve it's position is against Rutgers/BC/Uconn/Pitt.

Exactly, we lost more to Vandy this year then we will lose to kids we have a shot with at PSU. PSU has always out recruited Syracuse for recruits in the Northeast, wont be much different than it ever has been. They will get top talent, always have for the most part, we don't really swim in the same water. 1 out of 20 sounds about right. PSU recruits Franklins traditional area pretty damn well, Maryland just got buried as well. Those guys had Fridge with J franklin as HCIW, and wound up with Edsall, bad move.

They will get 5-6 kids every year that we have early interest in, happens every year. Kids we never really had a shot with. As I have said here for 10 years, people waiting for a top 25 recruiting class at Syracuse will be waiting for a long long time, aint going to happen, IMO

We've recruited against Vandy quite a bit the last few years. Him leaving Vandy for Penn State might actually be good for us.