Gonzaga beats Duke ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga beats Duke ...

Unless they have some sort of rash of injuries or whatever I’m penciling them in already to come out of their region. Really good team.

In their league, not sure that will matter. Haven't looked at their schedule, so not sure what other big name teams that have OOC. But, they are No.2 for a reason, and I believe it goes beyond their starting 5.

hes-not-a-5b4297.jpg

Zion is playing like 2018/2019 Brissett tonight. The other lottery picks and no Tillie are keeping them in it.

Its also good to be the hunter and not the hunted. Maui will probably be the only time the Zags are in this position until late March.

Its one of the worries I have with us I'm scared about all of the ACC teams being out for blood against Syracuse because they'll either be elite defensive teams like us capable of playing the same style (VT/Clemson)... or we will not take them seriously see Notre Dame last year when they had no Colson or Farrell.
I don’t think you mean VT/Virginia Tech. Because defense is not their strong suit (shooting and offense is). Maybe you mean Virginia?

As a Duke hater I loved how the froze out Zion in the last 3 minutes.

It made zero sense. Barrett just went to the hole at all costs no matter what and kept throwing up some garbage hoping to be bailed out by a foul.

If that was their strategy, perhaps they should’ve tried Zion on at least one of those?

I don’t care how much talent you have, you’re going to get caught up in some close and tough games and you can’t always just outtalent everyone by yourself when the chips are down. You’re not THAT good. I’m sure they will grow from that game, but that’s a perfect example of why the best and most talented teams often don’t win the title. Anyone can get knocked off once.

It made zero sense. Barrett just went to the hole at all costs no matter what and kept throwing up some garbage hoping to be bailed out by a foul.

If that was their strategy, perhaps they should’ve tried Zion on at least one of those?

I don’t care how much talent you have, you’re going to get caught up in some close and tough games and you can’t always just outtalent everyone by yourself when the chips are down. You’re not THAT good. I’m sure they will grow from that game, but that’s a perfect example of why the best and most talented teams often don’t win the title. Anyone can get knocked off once.

As good as they are they do have flaws. Reddish and particularly Barrett are ineffcient offensive players. Outside of Reddish nobody else scares me shooting 3’s. The way to beat them is to make them play in the half court, shoot and be patient. Those kids just want to run all day. I could totally see them struggling against Virginia and us if we ever get ourselves together.

Gonzaga is a much better team than Duke at this point. They followed every missed shot, went hard for loose balls, and made 10+ passes almost every possession. Their offense was fast and had Duke on their heels. They went fast after every missed Duke shot, and Duke could not get set on defense. Gonzaga played zone for part of the game, and Duke does not have the shooters to take advantage of it. By the time we face them, our zone should be much more polished and active than Gonzaga's zone. Hopefully we play as a team with the intensity and hustle of Gonzaga. I think Duke would probably beat Gonzaga 3 out of 5 games, but Duke is no NBA team. Maybe NBA talent, but not a team.

Gonzaga is a much better team than Duke at this point. They followed every missed shot, went hard for loose balls, and made 10+ passes almost every possession. Their offense was fast and had Duke on their heels. They went fast after every missed Duke shot, and Duke could not get set on defense. Gonzaga played zone for part of the game, and Duke does not have the shooters to take advantage of it. By the time we face them, our zone should be much more polished and active than Gonzaga's zone. Hopefully we play as a team with the intensity and hustle of Gonzaga. I think Duke would probably beat Gonzaga 3 out of 5 games, but Duke is no NBA team. Maybe NBA talent, but not a team.

“Much better?” But would win “3 of 5?” Craft your posts with a bit of consistency.
B07A0B2C-6AE9-4E62-864E-BA5D9D60ECFC.gif

Duke still played pretty well. I mean it was a one possession game against a seasoned team in Gonzaga with enough talent and athletes on their side. Legit 1 seed type squad.

Duke will improve. Just saying that their 3 pt shooting vs Zone could be subpar isn’t going to cut it. They have other options. They can go over the top. Zion is a matchup nightmare. At times he was breaking down guards off the bounce and dishing. Blocking shots too. He could easily swoop in and reject any of our frontline players who routinely go up weak. At best we score 55-60 points and muck the game up enough with the Zone to flummox them some and have some kind of a chance. Grind out offensive possessions and play slow. As far as matching Gonzaga’s intensity? Not gonna happen, lol. We don’t do that.

Last edited:
UNC in some trouble vs Texas.

Naz Mitrou Long from ISU's little brother looks good for the Horns. How the heck did that kid have no better offer than Mt St Marys out of HS.

Speaking of Iowa State I just remembered the game that my trip to NYC reminded me of knew I had seen something similar before. It was Iowa State's performance vs UVA before our game against the Zags in Chicago. LOL!

They had a good team that year too.

Coby White (Fr) is UNC's best player he had a great game and went for 33.

Nice to see UNC lose think we can beat them this year.

i watched the game saying "man do both teams look about 50 points better than us". Agree with 44cuse - we need to correct about 500 things before we make either of these teams sweat. Hopefully it starts Wednesday - if not the bubble awaits.

Coby White (Fr) is UNC's best player he had a great game and went for 33.

Nice to see UNC lose think we can beat them this year.

Maybe. It was funny seeing some posters almost belittling their returning players and newcomers. It will be interesting to see them against Michigan who is awfully solid and sound. They are averaging something like 90ppg already. White is obviously a stud but Little is too. Maye, Kenny Williams, Cameron Johnson are ballers too.

We should worry about us right now. Not Duke and Gonzaga.

Duke losing to Gonzaga does not make our problems any better.

44cuse

Tell that to the posters who create a Duke thread every time they play.

Maybe. It was funny seeing some posters almost belittling their returning players and newcomers. It will be interesting to see them against Michigan who is awfully solid and sound. They are averaging something like 90ppg already. White is obviously a stud but Little is too. Maye, Kenny Williams, Cameron Johnson are ballers too.

Yeah, I didn’t notice Kenny Williams much when I watched but he’s a solid player.

They’ve got a nice team for sure. I don’t see them being the awful matchup that they have been though.

Yeah, I didn’t notice Kenny Williams much when I watched but he’s a solid player.

They’ve got a nice team for sure. I don’t see them being the awful matchup that they have been though.

Oh for sure those guys like Hicks and Meeks were big problems for us. Pinson too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom